Adhesives

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Fast drying glue and Case Clamps

12/18/15       
Brian

Good afternoon woodworkers! I am looking for the fastest drying glue on the market, for dowel construction case goods. We are looking to improve our assembly time in a high volume manufacturing facility. I am also curious as to what the best case clamp on the market is currently. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

12/18/15       #2: Fast drying glue and Case Clamps ...
Leo G

What about an RF drier?

12/19/15       #3: Fast drying glue and Case Clamps ...
Steve Pyle Member

Brian,
Are you familiar with PUR adhesives? The go on like hot-melt, but give structural strength: wood/substrate breaks before the glue joint. You get handling strength in minutes with full strength over 24 hours.

For really high volume, you skip the clamps and couple this with a pneumatic press. I can help with the glue, but we don't sell larger equipment very much.

12/20/15       #4: Fast drying glue and Case Clamps ...
Larry

Glue dry time has nothing to do with the rate of case clamping! Best case clamping, greatly depends on your rate of production. Automated flow through via conveyor will do the most cases per day. Time in the clamp measured in seconds. Watch the videos of European kitchen cabinet manufacturers.
Our clamp time is determined by how long it takes us to get the next case ready to clamp. The clamped case is held square by the back being fastened around the edges and the nailers being fastened through the back & into the top stretcher.
The dowels are a snug fit and the glue quickly swells the panel fibers to lock tight enough for handling.
We use a laminar type clamp, Gannomat Concept 90, because we are a low volume manufacturer. Plugging a long @ 3 minutes per case you can do over 100 cases per day. An automated European line can do 1200 cases per day!

12/21/15       #5: Fast drying glue and Case Clamps ...
Brian

Thanks for the responses, I am interested in the PUR adhesive concept. How much time do you have between glue application and assembly time? I am looking for something I can glue up, put into a case clamp, unclamp within seconds, and have a structurally sound case good. We are a very large manufacturer and currently use a standard yellow wood glue, which has to sit for 20 minutes in clamped, assembled form before being unclamped and sent onto the finishing department. I am looking to eliminate as much of the 20 minute wait as possible. Thanks for the help!

12/21/15       #6: Fast drying glue and Case Clamps ...
Jeff Pitcher

Brian,
A PUR Hotmelt glue would allow you to do this in as fast as 30 seconds or so. Please let me know if I can send you specific information.

12/21/15       #7: Fast drying glue and Case Clamps ...
Brian

Jeff, I would love to learn more about this. Any info you have including glue delivery systems would be greatly appreciated. My email is stuckeyb@gunlocke.com. If a phone call would be easier I can be reached at (585) 991-8407. Thank you.

12/24/15       #8: Fast drying glue and Case Clamps ...
Rich  Member

I agree 100% with Larry using any white glue and you can have the cabinet out of clamp in as much time as it takes to fasten on back. Never heard of clamping cabinet for 20 minutes. I would bet you will have tough time knocking cabinets apart after 5 minutes without damaging parts using white glue.

12/29/15       #9: Fast drying glue and Case Clamps ...
Zack

One way you can speed up production with out changing glue is by the way you unload the box from the clamp. I've seen companies clamp for only 1-3 min because they slide the box off without lifting it and putting strain on the joints. This usually involves staples and hot melt as well. If you're looking for times fast then that, I would look to getting another clamp.

In my opinion, Gannomat case clamps are the best on the market. They have a top and bottom spindle instead of rails on the bottom which makes them last longer.

12/29/15       #10: Fast drying glue and Case Clamps ...
Larry

"We are a very large manufacturer and currently use a standard yellow wood glue, which has to sit for 20 minutes in clamped" Why? Something is very wrong with your operation.
If you are a very large manufacturer, you need to put in a flow through automatic clamp. Knock the cases together, slide them onto the infeed powered conveyor. The clamp will automatically clamp them to the preset pressure, hold for a few seconds, open & convey them to the next station.
If you believe that 20 minute thing, you are telling me we've been doing it wrong for years.
Zack, yes, we slide cases out, but they only sit on the outfeed bench until the next case comes out, 3 minutes+-. Plenty of time to put shelves in, snap door on, put drawer in, adjust drawer front and install hardware. No staples etc. needed. Many cases will be finished end!
"They have a top and bottom spindle instead of rails on the bottom which makes them last longer". I don't know what "spindles" are on a Gannomat? Please explain.
I've got 2 Gannomats. One has movable cross supports on beams, air cylinder clamping. The other has spring loaded rollers on the deck and electric screw clamping. Air floatation is available as an option.
I think the hot urethane would not speed things at all. We've got 2 of the 3M PUR hotmelt guns. You have to deal with the warm up time, cleaning issues, preheat container, expensive glue. Great for some things but there are other well worked out solutions to case clamping.
Try this: at your bore & insert machine try to pull some of the dowels out after 3 minutes.

12/30/15       #11: Fast drying glue and Case Clamps ...
Zack

Just like the one you have, the newer Gannomat clamps run on "electric screw" aka spindles. Instead of them using a brass rail on the bottom to guide the vertical beam, it has a spindle that is syncronized with the one on top. Just like the two that drive the horizontal beam up and down.

If you use a brass rail to guide the bottom of the vertical beam back and forth two things happen. One, you don't get the exact same pressure across the entire beam as when you have the top and bottom spindle. Two, the brass rail wears down much quicker which makes the beam out of plumb when it clamps. Then you get boxes with joints that aren't at a right angle.

Having the two spindles make the clamp last a lot longer. Hopefully I explained that correctly.

12/30/15       #12: Fast drying glue and Case Clamps ...
Brian

The reason for the lengthy dry time is the amount of time/length the unit travels after they are clamped is extensive. Our finishing process can take up to two days all while traveling on miles of conveyer. The 20 minute dry time (yellow wood glue) ensures there will be zero joints that will open up. We allow no gaps at all, so the smallest joint failure would cause rework. As you eluded to, these do not come apart once they are clamped.

12/30/15       #13: Fast drying glue and Case Clamps ...
Larry

High Volume and 20 minute clamp times don't compute. Neither does spending two days to finish a box. Very poor plant layout if miles of conveyor are needed to get a box to shipping. Properly done a doweled case, clamped 3 minutes does not open in the joints. I wouldn't normally recommend an industry consultant but you guys are in desperate need. Maybe something as simple as having a representative from Gannomat, Homag, Biesse, SCM come and offer solutions. Not a machinery salesman!

3/24/16       #14: Fast drying glue and Case Clamps ...
Kane  Member

I think the UV glue may be a good choice. UV glue could be cured by UV light in 1s. would you be interest in it, send me email: kanesun@foxmail.com

3/25/16       #15: Fast drying glue and Case Clamps ...
Larry

How do you get UV light in the joint? If it cures in one second you can't expose it and then assemble & clamp!

3/25/16       #16: Fast drying glue and Case Clamps ...
Mark Elliott Member

Good point Larry, I can hardly wait for the answer.

Mark

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)