Adhesives

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Glues for Wood Veneer lamination in hot press

4/24/17       
Dan Member

Hi all,

I have been producing doors for sometime now and have been using a standard PVA for all aspects of production. Now i have started using 3mm thick veneers as i cut myself in house, and am having a few issues.
1. Usually when pressing harder woods

like Maple i cant find the happy medium with heat and time pressed. Seems if i press at to hot temp. the veneer curls on the edges causing what setting of the glue that has happened to release. Wood is too strong. If i turn the heat down then i need to press for long lengths of time and may as well cold press.
2. Mostly in these winter months i have had a few issues with cracked/split veneers ones doors get to customers. I chalked the first couple issues up to very cold dry temps and wood loosing a ton of moisture. I am still seeing the odd split here and there though so maybe thinking the glue is somehow a culprit
construction of components is pretty straight forward:
Commercial 32 lb particle board core capped with min. 3/4" x 1-1/4" solid wood strips. calibrated thickness then hot pressed with 3mm wood veneers on both sides. Finish component is roughly 5" x 98" x 1-3/8"

I don't want to venture into mixing catalysts and have really toxic stuff around you have to wear respirators and such anytime its open but at the same time i want quick production presses like you should get from a hot press.

Any help/thoughts are greatly appreciated.

View higher quality, full size image (900 X 1600)

View higher quality, full size image (4032 X 3024)

4/25/17       #2: Glues for Wood Veneer lamination in ...
John S  Member

Any particular reason you are using 3mm thick veneer, other than to cut in-house? I can't imagine it is cheaper to cut 3mm veneer in-house than purchase 0.6 mm veneer from a veneer face manufacturer. In the case of veneer and especially the adhesion thereof, thicker is not necessarily better.

It takes a lot longer time for heat to penetrate 3mm of Maple to the glue-line than 0.6 mm. That is certainly part of your adhesion problem and also part of the reason for veneer cracking and checking. You don't want to leave any wood, and especially Maple, under heat for longer than necessary. All you are doing is drying it out, not getting a better bond. The pressure (shrinkage) exerted by the veneer drying out are greater than the adhesive and process are capable of controlling.

Not sure where you got the idea that catalysts are highly toxic and you need to wear a respirator when around catalyzed glue. I haven't seen that in any door plant I have ever worked at. (I wouldn't drink the stuff, but no reason to put on a hazardous waste suit either.) And pre-catalyzed PVA adhesives are available if you want to get away from mixing.

I see some major flaws in your materials and processes. Personally, I think you need to re-think the whole thing and look to thinner veneer and catalyzed adhesives. Any good adhesive manufacturer will be more than willing to advise you on their products and how to use them.

4/25/17       #3: Glues for Wood Veneer lamination in ...
Dan Member

Thanks for your input, i was thinking urea resin glue i believe when i was righting that post sorry, we went 3mm on our veneers for a few reasons. 1) Customers always asking for thicker veneers like their eng. hardwood 2) We can produce ourselves in house for same cost as buying from producers and have a huge variety now, if i can get my hands on the wood i can now produce engineered doors from it.3) it stream lines my production through all species including MDF.4) It keeps my employees busy. Do engineered hardwood manufacturers not lay roughly 3mm veneers on their "plywood" sub-straight?

5/28/17       #4: Glues for Wood Veneer lamination in ...
Larry

Gene where are you?
I think the moisture in the glue is readily absorbed into the maple, it expands before the glue sets. After the glue has set the maple equalizes its moisture content and tries to shrink. It is thick enough to start acting like a board rather than a veneer. Snap, crackle, pop! If you absolutely have to have 3mm use a glue w/o water. Epoxy?, sure to make a mess & expensive.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)