|Home » Forums » Architectural Woodworking » Message||Login|
You are not logged in. Consider these WOODWEB Member advantages:
Does anyone else ever have this problem?
While running mouldings on our moulder (that have a square edge) occasionally a bit of 'crud' will build up between the fence and the table and mark up the moulding's edge quite badly. (see pictures).
As far as actions taken so far we have removed the fences and cleaned well under them and made sure that they are tight against the table plates.
We also make sure all suction is directed to the moulder - otherwise all blast gates to other machines are closed.
I have considered having 1/8" removed off of the bottom of each 'fence' to remedy this...but this thought concerns me as well.
All feedback is GREATLY appreciated!
I have three moulders and had to walk out and look at the fences because I have never recalled this being an issue. All have a small gap under the fences and all are clear of debris. The first question that comes to mind is where is it coming from? Seems shavings wouldn't pack in there and so it must be some type of harder splinter, maybe chip breaker on the inside head is worn or not working?
Just looked @ our Weinig P22N. Fences are tight to tables. I can see where this might possibly occur just after the last bottom head since there is a gap in the fence there. Can't say I've ever seen the results of it happening here though.
Since others don't seem to have a consistent problem; my thought is to determine if this occurs with only a specific species of wood or molding head, etc. and how often it occurs (linear feet of molding and/or time and see if a cleaning schedule might be established. The picture also appears to have 'crud' in a very specific spot - does it always occur in the same spot (i.e. is there a small burr on the fence or table at that point?)
Is it possible to utilize a secondary face on the fence (i.e. a board secured through the fence with a few screws) to allow testing or using a fence that has a temporary gap at the bottom. (I too would be concerned about a permanent removal of metal at the fence since any sawdust accumulations I've seen resulted from a gap there).
I realize these aren't the necessarily solutions, but hope you can find a kernel of a starting point in here. Good luck with solving your problem. H
Thank you rt, Larry, Russ and Harold for your responses!
Hey Harold - we have not found any burrs or anything that would be causing this crud issue - and believe me I have looked and looked and looked for what would be causing it. We have cleaned everything and still occasionally get the problem as listed.
Russ - I will check that matter of the first bottom head. I am running a Weinig Helical Type Spiral Head...I do not have an axial adjusting handle like all of the other heads - but we have moved the head manually in the past as needed (for max. width cutting applications). I am quite certain that the head is back behind the fence probably like 1/2" or so...but I will be sure to check that tomorrow morning.
Wayne from Weinig provided some feedback as well via e-mail. He suggested not putting as much pressure on the outfeed fence and possibly lowering my infeed roller pressure. I have tried these suggestions and it does seem to be helping quite a bit.
I'll keep you posted if the problem persists.