Architectural Woodworking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

LSL Lamination Failure

11/21/14       
Bob

This post is regarding a job we are bidding that was actually completed by another company where their product was a complete failure. These parts are structural components for a Euro style post and beam construction (Winter garden or Window wall). The current components where constructed with an LSL core and 1/8" thick Qtr. Sapele veneers. The widest parts are 14" and the narrowest around 6" and all are 2" in thickness. What has happened is there are cracks everywhere down the length of the components and the veneers are raising at these cracks. As I understand these parts were laminated during the summer months and the failures did not happen until a few weeks ago with the onset of very cold dry air. So I assume there was a moisture issue here. We have been asked to bid this remake job and am researched methods to do this correctly. Possibly similar construction for structural reasons with assurance MC of the LSL is where it needs to be and the addition of cross banding before face veneers, or a solid sapele lamination would also be a possibility.

Wondering if anyone would have any insight into this situation as far as what would be the best method of construction.

11/21/14       #2: LSL Lamination Failure ...
David R Sochar Member

One could always go back to the historical precedent that worked. The solid post and beam worked and worked well. It set the standard for that type of construction.

I suspect that the LSL/Sapele is too far removed from that precedent and the LSL and Sapele will both move differently under different MC. The adhesives in both the LSL and the laminations may be failing as well.

I would never consider LSL unless I had engineering specs from the LSL maker that said it was acceptable in that use, and that someone else (architect, contractor, etc), with financial responsibility, insisted I use it.

11/22/14       #3: LSL Lamination Failure ...
Keith Newton

Bob, Do you know what type of glue, and clamp method was used on the failed parts, and how the core was prepared?

11/23/14       #4: LSL Lamination Failure ...
Larry

Everyone knows this is a moisture problem but how to control what you get with LSL material is beyond me. Are these exposed to the weather on one side? Gene where are you?

11/23/14       #5: LSL Lamination Failure ...
Joe Calhoon

Moisture problems aside is it possible to use a 1/8" thick veneer at the 14" width? Seems like 1/8" acts more like solid wood.
Joe

11/24/14       #6: LSL Lamination Failure ...
Bob

I just received some actual photos showing what is really happening. Also the cores are not LSL rather PSL Parallam beams which to me are less stable than a good LSL material.

View higher quality, full size image (2232 X 2232)

11/24/14       #7: LSL Lamination Failure ...
Bob

An additional picture...

11/24/14       #8: LSL Lamination Failure ...
JT

Those types of products are manufactured by compressing the would fibers under extreme pressure. Any introduction of moisture, even seasonal swings, will cause expansion way beyond normal solid wood products. I would use a finger-jointed stave core for stability.

11/25/14       #9: LSL Lamination Failure ...
David R Sochar Member

Along with the obvious moisture related problems, I can see glue line failure between the face veneers and the corestock. Also, the face veneers were not edge glued, or the wrong glue was used, leading to failure. Edge gluing is necessary in thicker 'veneer' stock. I would be very interested in the logic that was used to determine this type of construction, and especially the glue used.

I would avoid any use of such 'engineered' wood in the coming rework. I would even question the use of metal brackets that apparently stand in for joinery. There is no substitute for the real thing: true mortise and tenon joinery. Moisture contents and expansion/contraction of all the materials must be matched for compatibility. Glues must be appropriate and not marginal in any sense.

Expectations of the customer may have be adjusted. It is not reasonable to expect post and beam work, exposed to the elements to look like fine cabinetry.

11/25/14       #10: LSL Lamination Failure ...
Joe Calhoon

David,
I talked to the original builder about this and according to him he was forced to go this route by the architect because they did not think solid wood was structurally sound. Myself, I would go back and push for solid instead of using garbage like this core.
By the way those curtain wall connectors are very good and part of a well engineered cladding system.

I think you are right about improper gluing.

Bob,
If they want to use a engineered core take a look at the LVL cores made for door work. Supposedly dry and stored inside. National in Denver carries these.

Does anyone know how much movement across the grain if any LVL has? I would still be concerned about going 14" wide with these.
Joe

11/25/14       #11: LSL Lamination Failure ...
David R Sochar Member

Joe - Interesting that the architect did not think solid wood was structurally sound How could he end up there?

You are right about those cores, though. Stave built cores of the (untrusted) solid wood, or the commercially available door cores would be a far better choice than that crap.

(Rant...) It just shows how those of us in this business are such bad communicators. That those who know are ignored in favor of some marketing materials aimed at design professionals. Far more money is spent on selling than there is on the actual correct specifications. How is it that the people skilled at putting themselves at the top make the decisions and the most money, while those who know are in the shops or drawing boards, making things that really work, and work well?

11/26/14       #12: LSL Lamination Failure ...
Geoff

To me, it looks like the first and third picture show LVL core and the third picture is either PSL or LSL,

Whatever way you choose to try I would make a four foot long section of the 2" x 14" and then try your hardest to make it fail.

R&D on this project missing?

11/26/14       #13: LSL Lamination Failure ...
Geoff

I meant to say the fourth picture shows either PSL or LSL. I think the first and third are LVL,

11/28/14       #14: LSL Lamination Failure ...
Gene Wengert-WoodDoc

I believe you are looking at two different issues. Both are related to moisture content changes after manufacturing. Note that any moisture checks now will not tell us what the MC was at the time of installation, prior to cracking, or even at the time of manufacturing. The defects would result if the pieces were exposed to high MC after manufacturing and then dried out quickly. It would be worse if the core was very dry initially. Careful examination and measurement should potentially allow a better determination of what has occurred.

12/5/14       #15: LSL Lamination Failure ...
Joe Calhoon

Gene,
Moisture issues aside I am curious to the expansion - shrinkage properties of LVL door core like in the picture. It appears to be edge glued from thin strips of flat sawn fir. Would this make it behave like fir?

We use this without issue on 6" or so door stiles but have never thought gluing thick skins to wide pieces of this a good idea.

Joe

View higher quality, full size image (1632 X 1224)

12/9/14       #16: LSL Lamination Failure ...
Bob

Thank you to all who had insight into this matter. The latest developments on this project have put our remake scenario on hold. The clients have decided to fill the cracks and refinish in hopes the cracking will not continue. We are doubtful of that happening so for now we are putting this on the back burner.

12/10/14       #17: LSL Lamination Failure ...
Geoff

The response of the client makes me wonder why we even bother sometimes.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)