Architectural Woodworking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

How to Handle A Woody?

8/29/17       
David R Sochar Member

Not my woody, but a customer's. 1948 Chrysler Town & Country, convertible, just like the photo.

His car has Di Noc panels (3M product) instead of Mahogany, within the Ash frames. The older, better cars have wood, but Chrysler changed to plastic on some of their cars. A preview of the future.

My customer would like me to replace the plastic with wood. I do know this is basic frame and panel work (or I am really naive), but with curves in 3 dimensions. The trunk panels have a slight 3-D curve, convex, that should be able to be pressed.

One problem is how to manage the near crease in the upper door panels. Probably a 1" inside radius where it meets the ash. Some photos of the same model do show a 90 degree square joint there. I suspect this is for the wood paneled cars. However, the Ash frame is radiused, and I don't want to have to modify the Ash frames if I don't have to.

I will have others open things up from the other side, but will need to make forms, male and female.

Does anyone here have any experience with woody frame and panel work?

Will softening the veneers with glycerin et al help get them to bend as needed?

View higher quality, full size image (562 X 346)

8/29/17       #2: How to Handle A Woody? ...
TonyF

David Sochar:

Nice car, is that the actual car in question? I am not enough of a car buff, but some of the 1948 Town and Country photos show that the upper front door panel is not quite as sharply delineated as the one in your photo, which makes me wonder if that is a difference between the wood panels and the plastic panels. The point at which the crease starts to flare out from the flat curved portion of the panel would give me pause, as I would fear buckling of the veneers, in trying to produce in veneers what it more easily done with something as formable as plastic.

My experience with glycerin only is to flatten previously non-flattened burls to make them usable in a vacuum press. It certainly makes them pliable, and I suppose that you could dry-form the veneers prior to pressing, but that crease.......

I will try to post a photo, but may not meet with success. I think I would research an actual wood paneled model and see what the actual differences are, if any, and if you can use a frame made for plastic panels on the wooden panels.

Good luck with your project.

TonyF

View higher quality, full size image (1024 X 680)

8/29/17       #3: How to Handle A Woody? ...
Keith Newton

Another option is to use a rubber hose from a steam pot to direct the steam on the crease while hand forming it. I think you could get it to relax pretty easily, and then due to being so thin, drying wouldn't take long. I was doing a little steam bending of a small part over the end of a tea kettle last weekend. It's amazing how fast it softens. Just remember to try to keep the bend in end to end compression while making the bend. Tension on the surface is not your friend.

I'm wondering if you'll be gluing the veneer down to a steel body part / substrate, or will it be floating in the panel. If it isn't gluing down to the steel body, while I haven't done it, I've thought about throwing in a layer or two of wet-out glass cloth or mat where the cross-band layers are more of a challenge than the face veneer.

8/30/17       #4: How to Handle A Woody? ...
Kevin Jenness

Maybe that should be a sculpted solid wood panel. Forming veneer to that curve would be quite a feat. If it is possible, Keith seems to be on the right track.

8/30/17       #5: How to Handle A Woody? ...
Keith Newton

After doing a google search for some better images, I don't think you'd need to do anything to Mahogany veneer to make that bend. I just pulled some out of my storage drawers, and easily bent it down to 1/2" R.
The only thing I'm wondering is that having the longer length of the forward edge than the aft side would mean that the longitudinal grain wouldn't be parallel to the either the top or bottom rails, but that may not be enough to worry about.

Now the trunk of one of the images I was was truly a frame and panel. What I've done on repair of some highly formed boat parts, is to slip all my epoxied veneers into a bag that simply lays on top of where it will go, with enough sand-bags or whatever weights you have around to press it down on top of where it will go, then pull the vacuum.

The trunk frame may need some strips across the middle to get the bulge out in the middle to keep it from getting too flat, but this would get the edge curves close enough, as well as the twist, and be a lot simpler than picking the curves and making a form, if you can get that license plate block out of the way.

On little panels this size, I've used clear plastic drum liners for the bag. I snip a little hole in the bottom corner to push the hose through with a few wraps of rope-caulk or anything soft and sticky to seal. A piece of cloth like a sock or shirt sleeve taped over the end hose end to make contact with the edge of the veneers.

The open end seals by just rolling up a dowel or lath with a spring clamp over another lath. Just make sure everything is splinter free so the bag doesn't tear and your good to go.

8/30/17       #6: How to Handle A Woody? ...
David Waldmann Member

I would suggest trying to find a car guy. Yes, I know it's "woodworking" but it's pretty specialized.

We used to have a guy that came in and bought materials (mostly 8/4 and 12/4 ash) to restore old cars. Mostly they weren't "woodies", but earlier cars that had wooden frames covered with sheet metal, but someone like that would be apt to know who to talk to if they didn't have the answers themselves. I'd refer you to him but all I know is his name and I doubt he's still around - he was old 20 years ago. At least, he seemed old to me at the time... :D

8/30/17       #7: How to Handle A Woody? ...
David R Sochar Member

The car I'm looking at is the same look as the one I posted. It may be the same car, as that photo was from an auction site from a few years ago. The owner says he has had the car a few years. He has found two people that can do this, but they are both on the West Coast and want the car for 6 months. He would prefer to not have the expense of transport, etc.

We did some difficult work for several of his projects in a couple of his his properties, so he thought he could easily entrust the work to us, if I thought we could do it. I have not said yes, but am intrigued, and surprised by how much 'brain time' I have invested in it. That alone makes me want to agree to the work, but that may not be the right course. I like a challenge, but.....

I believe the sharp crease in the door panel is seen in the all wood panels, and the radiused one is the Di Noc stuff. If I could do the sharp crease, I would make it up in two pieces and join them at the crease, with reinforcement blocking behind - easy. We will use Quartered Mahogany, so the grain is easily matched. The Ash frame has a definite, pronounced radius in it, though, so I either change it to approx 90 degrees, or radius the panels, foregoing the crease.

Some of the wood panels in photos I find online also have 'joints' denoting separate 'boards' about 2-3/4" wide. As Keith points out, the longer length of the forward edge of the flare would complicate the use of the 'boards' as they would not run parallel to the rails - one or the other or both.

The owner thinks he has someone local that can open up the inside of the car where the panels are to access the backs of the frame and panels for inspection and removal. I do not want to get involved in that. Meanwhile, the trunk lid has an interior liner fastened with screws that he will remove and photo for me this week. That should reveal a lot - to be able to see the backside of the panels.

Thanks for the help and ideas. I can be found scouring thru YouTube videos on these cars.

8/31/17       #8: How to Handle A Woody? ...
Keith Newton

I'm not sure how many ways to skin this cat, but I'll just share a few more thoughts.

Since that bend isn't end to end fore and aft, it will likely have to be spliced due to the change in length if it is made up as plywood. If you are lucky and just applying veneer over a metal substrate, I would either plane or sand a long bevel on the top edge of the lower veneer which would end just below the kink or hard bend.

Then when the top veneer was glued on, the overlap would wild over the bevel, then be sanded down level to the heel of that bevel, taking the critical math out of the equation figuring out how much tapper to add.

As for getting some prebend in the upper part, I just heated a 1/2" pipe with a map gas torch, then bent a scrap of mahogany veneer around diagonally, for a tight bend like you'll probably need. It was quick and easy and worked beautifully.

8/31/17       #9: How to Handle A Woody? ...
Pete

If you are able to get the existing panels out of the car, is there a possibility that you could set up a duplicarver to copy the form? I think you could get veneer to bend into that shape.

8/31/17       #10: How to Handle A Woody? ...
Adam

My apologies David. You might have to sell your soul to the woodworking devil.

cnc mdf and thermofoil it with faux woodgraining.

I'm pretty sure that's how they do it in Mercedes and BMW's.

Or you could prove your worth as the master craftsman we know you to be.

9/1/17       #11: How to Handle A Woody? ...
Keith Newton

I wonder if 3D printers have multiple woodgrain choices? By now, if not sooner or later, you should be able to attach a digital image to get the most exotic wood of your choice.
For now, I think going with Ziricote would look nice and racy. ha

https://www.certainlywood.com/images-menu.php?item=ZIRICOTE%201505-1

9/1/17       #12: How to Handle A Woody? ...
David R Sochar Member

Keith- I think you have more brain time than I on this project so far. I have often found that interesting projects suck me in to where it does become a question if we are going to do it, just how we are going to do it. They take over my brain more thoroughly than an alien in a 1950's sci-fi movie.

My latest research tends to show these panels were steel under the Di Noc. If so, my job got a lot easier since the panels would be the forms. Just remove the DiNoc, and then reinforce the panel backs and vac the new wood on. Probably epoxy, after 80 grit sanding on the steel.

This customer has come to me because he wants a craftsman that can duplicate the woodwork as done originally. That means no digital anythings, just the old style, even though the car was once the pinnacle of modern engineering for the 20th Century. Di Noc and steel are evidence the craftsmanship was passing, evolving into something else.

I think we will pass on the Zizicote: is that ivory colored sapwood that contrasty to the heartwood? Some crazy stuff to play with. Great for a hard shell electric guitar case.

9/1/17       #13: How to Handle A Woody? ...
TonyF

David Sochar:

The one definite downside to veneering the steel panels, if that is in fact how it was done, is that if your veneering attempts do not work out, there is no way to put things back as they were, kind of no harm, no foul, restore the unit as it was, cut your losses and move on.

Some would call this defeatist or lack of confidence; I would call it Plan B.

TonyF

9/1/17       #14: How to Handle A Woody? ...
Keith Newton

David, I figured there would be a steel part under that plastic, so you did luck out.

Back to my last suggestion for laying on a beveled strip first, another easier option came to mind.

I'm pretty sure your not going to make that long tight bend and have it end out from the edge of the sheet. However, I think you can do the prebend using the hot pipe method I mentioned above, THEN from the end of there, use a really sharp blade to make a slit from there on out to the edge. This would allow relief for the wrinkle that I'm expecting, by allowing one side to overlap.

Don't worry about me wasting my time on this. My hands are so swollen from arthritis, they look more like paws, and are about as useful for holding tools.

OH, By the way, if your customer is someone that money is no object, and you want my hands on help, I'd be open to a road-trip.

If all your vacuum bagging has been with the form in the bag, you need to liberate yourself from that constraint.

9/3/17       #15: How to Handle A Woody? ...
B.H. Davis Member

David,

Looking at the original photo I assume the area of concern is in the upper panel just below the rear view mirror and flood light.

If you were to measure the vertical length of the back edge of that panel you will find it is a lot shorter than the vertical length of the front edge of that panel. That is obvious due to the curved step in as you go up from the bottom.

So the real question is how do you take an oversized rectangular piece of veneer and get it to take that shape. Plastic can be molded and heat stretched so that one edge can be longer than the other. Wood cannot. And even if you could somehow stretch the front edge of the veneer so that it is longer than the rear edge you would distort the grain pattern. Fact is though that, in my opinion, this isn't going to happen.

You mentioned that you've seen some examples that are in wood. I think you need to assume that those are the ones with the sharp bend transition.....i.e. two pieces of veneer or solid wood brought together to create the change in surface angle.

I think the only hope of creating this shape in veneer would be by creating a sheet the correct shape for the bend while in the flat......much like veneering a cone. Your thought on using quarter sawn material for this I think is the only way to get an acceptable grain appearance.

Another thought is on how to make the bend if you can indeed first create a sheet of veneer that will work. I wonder if you could use the ash framework, face down on the bench, as a 3D form. Perhaps both the ash frame and several layers of veneer could be put into a vacuum bag.

The final thing that comes to mind is that the closest thing we ever did to this was when we made parts for yacht manufacturers. Every now and then over the years one of them would come to us for parts when they got too backed up. If all else fails you could contact one of those companies as this sort of thing is every day work for them.

BH Davis

9/6/17       #16: How to Handle A Woody? ...
David R Sochar Member

Your thoughts echo mine, Bernie. The original wood panels were quartered, so the taper (trapezoid?) is easier to accommodate, and can be done by tapering several leaves before taping. The big question is can we match grain from one panel to its mate on the other side of the car - left and right?

I am betting lunch the substrate under the plastic is steel, hence the radius instead of a 90 degree corner as in the wood panels. Steel does not like the sharp corners. This will greatly simplify.

The owner is back in town in a week, and will try a magnet on the panels as well as remove the easily accessible trunk panels. Then we will know.

9/11/17       #17: How to Handle A Woody? ...
David R Sochar Member

I just got confirmation that the wood does indeed have step under the DiNoc. My job just became easier.

Clean the Di-Noc off the steel panels, sand to 80 grit, apply epoxy, press the panels on with light vac pressure, clean up and sand a bit, enjoy.

12/4/17       #18: How to Handle A Woody? ...
Keith Newton

Well, How about a little follow up and show us some pics of how it turned out?

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)