Architectural Woodworking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place

8/14/18       
David R Sochar  Member

The Woven Wood Doors are finally in place. So much for March deadlines. The restaurant is under a trial opening this week. Last post was 6/11, and the thread was started 4/13.

The doors look fabulous - We are very happy. The letter "A" that is also the handles is not as nice as the cast bronze I was told was to be the door pulls. This is 5/16" steel or so, and not so nice to the touch, with hard square edges that are bright compared to the faces.

The worst part is that whomever - the handle maker we think - used steel hardware store crap to mount the letters. Went clear thru the door!! He did not know about studs and blind mounts. I think I hear a "not my job" in the echoes.

The finish is Sikkens with a glaze to
accent the depth.

Unfortunately, the place has a dress code (!?!), so my colleague and I cannot saunter in and order up a drink at the bar and admire the doors from the inside. I would have blown the dust off my shoulders....

Thanks for all the nice remarks along the way. I am now sketching about with hopes for a Celtic Knot. I need to find a wealthy Irish mobster with cash to burn....

View higher quality, full size image (1000 X 750)

View higher quality, full size image (750 X 1000)

View higher quality, full size image (750 X 1000)

8/14/18       #2: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
MarkB Member

Good lord man. Absolutely breathtaking. What a way to end a day. Gosh. Gobsmacked....

8/14/18       #3: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
BH Davis  Member

Wow !! Gorgeous.

BH Davis

8/14/18       #4: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
Alan F. Member

Very nice , now you need them to start franchises and buy all the doors from you for the next 10 years so you can build that Maui Condo retirement fund.

8/14/18       #5: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
Mark Elliott Member

Very nice job David.

It's been very interesting following the thread from beginning to end.

Mark

8/14/18       #6: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
Leo G Member

Came out nice! To bad they ruined your expectations about the door handles. It was a long road, but it finally looks like a rainbow at the end.

8/14/18       #7: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
rich c.

Wonderful craftsmanship!

8/14/18       #8: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
Hen Bob Member

Excellent job!

It's great to see true custom work beginning to end, thanks for taking the time to document it.

Henry

8/14/18       #9: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
door shop guy

I really really like the unique design. That was a lot of work and you guys did an awesome job.

8/15/18       #10: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
James Garner

Those look great David! Too bad the hardware guy wasn't up to par!

8/15/18       #11: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
james e mcgrew Member

That is Nice work !

8/15/18       #12: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
Russ

Dave

Craftsmanship at its best, its folks like you and your staff that keep the rest of us inspired. Kudos

Russ @ MR

8/15/18       #13: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
Adam

David,

Your level of craftsmanship never ceases to impress me.

You need to say a daily prayer to the woodworking gods that they maintain the finish.

8/15/18       #14: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
Pat Gilbert

Damn Dave, I think you are starting to get the hang of this woodworking thing.

Outstanding work.

8/15/18       #15: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
rescraft

Very nice! Feel comfortable in letting us know what price range that would land in?

8/15/18       #16: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
John Member

Most impressive. Apparently I'm in the minority, but I think the handles look great. They are unusual but elegant in their own right, and the curves play off those in the door panels.

Say, what finish was used on the doors?

John

8/16/18       #17: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
MarkB Member

I like the design/shape of the handles (likely logo) but screwing them flat against the panels isn't the greatest and would concern me for issues over time but that's on the handle guy and who ever gave the go ahead.

8/16/18       #18: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
Joe Calhoon

Outstanding work Dave!
I like the handles.
Joe

8/16/18       #19: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
David R Sochar  Member

Thanks again for the comments. Positive feedback form peers is so much more respected than from others.

The doors sold for $15,557.00, with hinges and hinge and deadbolt prep. Finish included ($2200). Frame, install, and handles excluded. All 10/4 pattern grade Honduras (245 b/f), and 90 hours in the shop, 8 hours in drawing, and countless hours in our heads. I budgeted 90 hours, and we hit it on the nose, including all the problem solving as earlier described.

The finish is by IndyCraft Painting (https://indycraft.com) and is Sikkens on the exterior, and is sprayed and glazed. The interior is the same look, though lacquer.

So far, only the valet parking boys have opened the doors from the outside now that the place is open. If they had just used 1/2" steel and eased all the edges, the letters would look and feel so much better. And used hidden fasteners. If they would just put me in charge......

8/18/18       #20: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
MarkB Member

I never understand why different trades/shops arent more willing or eager to simplify and better their offering to the customer/contractor.

Weve had mixed success reaching out to other shops feeding material to a job that we are going to interface with. If I were that metal guy your number would have been the first I asked for to reach out and see if you had any input on how youd like my work to interface with yours especially of it wasn't called out in a drawing.

A 30 minute interaction would have covered it all.

8/18/18       #21: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
Jason Yeager

Dave,

Those doors are amazing - thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience here!

8/19/18       #22: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
Larry

Beautiful doors. The job probably was way over budget by the time they got to the pulls, too bad. Seem like low class pulls.
Guess I can't go there either, don't own a coat & tie. Why would anyone want to tie a gaudy rag around their neck?
I'm headed for IWF this week.

8/20/18       #23: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
David R Sochar  Member

MarkB - Good point. I don't know who the vendor was on that handle, or I would have reached out. I was 'turned loose' on the doors in that I had size and design constraints, but the designer left it to me after sizes and 'woven look'. I don't know what the handle guy was told.

I do know that so many of us have worked for customers that barely afford what we do, such that when someone comes along and says I want your best - they won't say it straight out, but hammer around the bushes. And then we don't pick it up, and do thin and light and 'cost effective'. While satisfactory, we/they could have done so much better.

I tell everyone that I do not 'bid' jobs. I will price what we would do for the job, per our specs and materials, all spelled out in a proposal, to the penny.

The problem I have is that if I contact a parallel trade directly, they get nervous that I'm asking questions, creating expectations, generally nosing around. If they are woodworkers, they fear I might be too critical or worse, or steal their work. Too critical is a legitimate concern, but never to their face or beyond me and my colleague.

The better trades have no fear of this and we meet with them frequently. Masons are OK, interior trim guys are half and half - some much better than others. Electricians are easy, as are plumbers.

8/20/18       #24: Finally! Woven Wood Doors In Place ...
MarkB Member

Agree on the electricians and plumbers. They are usually all over me when walking on a job wanting to confirm thicknesses and details for box extensions and so on especially if we have been on a job with them before because they know we are willing to do all we can to make their, and our, lives easier and not have a box landing it a horrible spot.

I guess we are lucky in a sense that we arent in such a competetive market and usually our work (wood) is interfacing with a commercial melamine shops, and so on.

You can only do what you can do.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)