Architectural Woodworking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Insert rabbeting cutter

9/26/18       
Gerry

We recently purchased a 2" x 4" diameter insert style rabbeting cutter. The knifes are mounted in it at an angle to the face to give a shear cut. While using it to edge some material I found it is leaving a convex face on the lumber. I spoke with the company I purchased it from and was told it is not possible to build a insert style shear faced cutter that will give a straight edge?? This makes no sense to me at all. So are the people who use this cutter happy with the open joint on the face?

Does anyone have a insert style shear cutter that produces a straight edge?

TIA

View higher quality, full size image (3648 X 2736)

9/26/18       #2: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
Pete D

Gerry,

When a straight knife is slanted in a round cutter body, to create the shear cut, the ends of the knife project ever so slightly outside of the cutting circle. The issues are compounded with a longer straight knife and a smaller diameter cutter head.

To say an insert shearing cutter head can't be made to produce a flat surface is not accurate. It absolutely can be done, the problem is the blade would have to have a slight curve to match the line it follows on the cutter head. I suspect the cost would be too great to manufacture which is why we see so many of the shelix style insert cutterheads where the "curve" is achieved by using multiple smaller inserts.

9/26/18       #3: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
Gerry

Hi Pete,

Why could the body of the cutter not be milled to have the blade move in the amount they now project? A cutter that leaves a curved surface is really of no use unless you are ok with gaps in your woodwork.

Thanks

9/26/18       #4: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
Pete D

In theory I think you're correct, the cutter body could also be milled to accommodate the curve, however that would rely on some combination of thin and flexible knife steel. Carbide is too brittle without a backing plate and wouldn't flex much without snapping. Can't speak to HSS knives, maybe someone with more insight can answer that. My guess is it's more complicated to engineer a solution that involves a flexing knife than cutting a curve with modern CAD programs. Anything can be done if there's a demand, but I doubt there's any real need for a more expensive shear cutter when either a traditional rebate insert straight knife or the smaller insert shelix/helical style cutters work for most if not all applications and materials.

I agree that the surface left from these cutters is unacceptable. I have a 125mm x 50mm with the same shear setup and it's been sitting on the shelf for years. I do have a shorter version at 30mm tall that I still use on thinner stock as the imperfection in the surface cut isn't as noticeable as the taller cutter. I don't work with tear out prone woods and have great results using a standard (non-shear) insert straight knife rebate head. If tear out is an issue you might consider one of the shelix/helical style heads.

9/27/18       #5: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
Gerry

Hi Pete,

I had no idea when I bought this cutter I was making a compromise to get a shear cut. These cutters should be sold with a disclaimer.

Fortunately I am able to return it. I will track one down with no shear.

Thanks for your input.

9/27/18       #6: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
David R Sochar  Member

Gerry - You are right. In fact, I just bought a larger insert rabbet head to replace our 30 yr old Amana aluminum head. I saw the shear angle and thought the blade could be spiral, like in some planers from the 80's and 90's, or curved in some way to machine a straight line. It is not.

I am considering returning it since we count on straight surfaces for our joinery. For many things it may not matter, but for some, it simply will not work as hoped.

I reasoned (but still bought...) that if one were to take the straight knife and lean its slot over further for a much stronger shear, then the effect would obvious and intolerable. Unless the knife had a concave edge, which it does not.

9/29/18       #7: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
Gerry

David,

Sounds like we went down the same road. I was replacing an old brazed carbide head we have been using forever.

I sent the cutter back and found an Amana insert rabbeting cutter with no shear. I have not found we get a lot of chipping without the shear cut on the head.

Thanks,
Gerry

10/3/18       #8: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
Karl E Brogger

I had no clue this happened.

We've got a Dimension in Tooling opposite shear four wing cutter. We use it for sizing face frame material, and sizing door sticking after the profile cut. There's been miles and miles of material passed across this thing.

I ran a piece of 8/4 through it this morning because I hadn't noticed it making a not flat cut in the past. It's definitely convex, but it doesn't look as extreme as your picture. It's a 4" diameter head, with a 1-1/4" bore running on a 1-1/4" spindle.

I wonder if the angle of the knife plays a roll in this?

I wonder if the opposite shear cancel's some of it out?

I don't think it would matter, but mine is just a straight cutter, no rabet knickers.

I wonder if spindle run out affects this as well?

What kind of shaper are you running? This was done on a medium duty SCM T130N. The machine is fairly tight, and I put a set of bearings in it a couple of years ago.

10/3/18       #9: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
David R Sochar  Member

Karl - If you turn the shaper plug over, the cut is reversed and goes concave. Matches up with the convex very well.....

But seriously. Yes, if you think of leaning the knife over further, increasing the shear, you can eventually get to where it is almost 90 degrees to the shaft, and the ends of the knife are way out, making a mythical cut far from straight.

While the mis-cut is very small, I am concerned that it may affect our ability to produce the tight joints we love and need. The folks at Amana are kind enough to trade it it in for the straight knife version.

I checked with 2 other makers, neither of which was aware of the less than perfect cut their cutters make.

Machine, spindle, or political beleifs have nothing to do with it - it is the straight knife that needs to have a slight curve instead of straight, or you live with it.

10/3/18       #10: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
Gerry

Karl,

In the picture I cut the piece I ran through the shaper and turned it so the error you see is twice what the cutter is producing. This piece of cherry is 1.75" thick also.

I lost a days production because of this cutter. I used it to edge a stack of cherry for edge lamming and because of the glue squeeze out did not see the joints were not closed until I started cleaning up the panels the next day. I had to cut all the joints out and redo the previous days work!

This cutter is 1.25" bore 2 knife opposite shear 125mm diameter.

I don't know if my supplier was aware this straight knife cutter does not leave a straight face but I was not made aware of that fact or I never would have purchased it.

We are using a good heavy Rulong shaper with a 1.25" spindle and 7.5HP. There is no run out in the spindle, the concave face is all about the cutter.

As David says the more shear you have the more the face is convex. This is not something I considered before purchasing this cutter and I was not looking for a cutter with a shear cut. This was the only rabbeting cutter the supplier stocks.

10/3/18       #11: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

I tried to attach a picture before, didn't stick for some reason

View higher quality, full size image (1080 X 2220)

10/3/18       #12: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
Joe Calhoon

I was not aware of this either. My most used shaper cutter is a 18 year old Z4 Garniga rebate head with shear. I tried it yesterday on some 8/4 and my results were identical to what Carl shows. We don’t edge stock with this but used mostly for rebating where this would not be an issue. We do some shiplap type joints on doors where this may cause some gaping but have never noticed gaps before.
I dusted off my old Stark Z2 straight knife rebate head to use for joinery where this might be an issue.
The Z4 shear head cuts slightly better but not by much.

As a side note we use the shaper to prep glue joints on exterior door panels using T&G or spline. Just to get more glue surface and reinforce the joints to the weather. Lately we have been running a glue joint cut on this and works very well.
I normally like a outboard fence for this but because of various widths use the split fence instead. Makes a nice tight joint with lots of glue area.

View higher quality, full size image (3752 X 2816)

View higher quality, full size image (3793 X 2845)

View higher quality, full size image (2937 X 3916)

10/3/18       #13: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
Pete D

Interesting seeing the different results. The only explanation I can think of is the shear angle is different and/or the cutterbody diameters are different. If the various cutterheads used have the same specs then my head just exploded.

I had the same issue as Gerry with a visible gap after edging for glue up and was pretty disappointed so I stopped using that cutter although I can see how the convex cut wouldn't affect other operations.

10/4/18       #14: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
Gerry

The shear angle on the cutter I had looks to be more than the one Joe has shown us. The curve on the face of the produced cut is also more extreme than the one Karl posted. This is the sort of thing that can cause a lot of head scratching trying to sort out why your joints are not closing up tightly.

It is worth noting that when doing rabbets with this cutter up to the mid point in height the gap will be hidden in the bottom corner of the joint.

I think with the cutter Karl and Joe have this problem would be a lot harder to diagnose than with the one I had.

Joe I like the look of that glue joint cutter. How do you apply the glue to that edge?

View higher quality, full size image (3648 X 2736)

10/4/18       #15: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
Joe Calhoon

Gerry,
I think more angle of shear makes the convex worse. Mine is pretty slight compared to yours.
Good to know about this, I have used this cutter for many years and had no idea.

We glue with a pressurized pot. I just put a small bead in every dip then rubbed the joint. Interesting, because it was more glue than a normal square joint gets and not much squeeze out.
I am sure Pizzi makes a nozzle for this but it worked well doing it this way.

10/4/18       #16: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
Gerry

Joe,

The glue joint looks invisible on the end. How does it look after panel raising? I find the glue can show more when cut on angle.

I like the alignment that would eliminate a lot of fooling around when gluing up.

Thanks,
Gerry

10/4/18       #17: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
nicko

is this also a problem with insert style jointer cutters? I have an eight inch shelix cutter head in my jointer and jointed a piece of wood today and put a straight edge across it and could not tell if it was convex or not. Is any one using an insert cutter in there jointer for edge gluing?

Thanks.........nicko

10/4/18       #18: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
Gerry

Niko,

The Shelix head will not cause this problem.

If you look at the carbide they are curved on the face. I have a Shelix head in my thickness planer and glue up off of the planed face with no problem.

10/4/18       #19: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
Joe Calhoon

Gerry,
We hardly ever do raised panels anymore.
Not sure how this cutter would work for that.
Most of our panels have a step around the edge. The joint disappears on those.
We have another type glue joint cutter for the four slider that would be better for raised panels.

View higher quality, full size image (4032 X 3024)

10/5/18       #20: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
Gerry

Joe,
That is consistent with my experiments with that style of cutter.

Thanks

10/14/18       #21: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

I was thinking about this again for whatever reason. The shear angle looks much more significant on Gerry's head than mine. Which probably contributes to the convex cut being more pronounced.

I never knew this until this thread. Good stuff to know.

View higher quality, full size image (1080 X 1440)

10/15/18       #22: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
David R Sochar

We will run a few things to see how it actually performs. Amana agrees to take it back for a full refund.

My problem is that I like absolutes where I can get them. Usually, getting a solid 90 degree corner is not difficult. Having to remember that what we get on that one surface may not be trustworthy is a problem to remember.

10/15/18       #23: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
Gerry

We sent the cutter back and have received a new Amana head with no shear. I don't notice a lot of difference in finish quality and this one cuts a 90 degree square cut with flat faces in both planes. I think this is a much better option.

10/16/18       #24: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
David Egnoski  Member

My rabbeting cutter has 4 knives. Two tilt forward at the top, two tilt forward at the bottom. Each knife sticks out a little bit further at either the top or bottom depending on the direction of tilt. Not easy to see in the photo. It does cut square as best as I can determine.

View higher quality, full size image (4032 X 3024)

10/17/18       #25: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
Gerry

David,

If the knives are straight and tilted it will cut a convex face. It is very hard to see on the head. The best way to see it is to edge a piece of 8/4 stock then cut it and fold it back against itself.

The way David described it makes it easy to visualize. The knife is pivoting on it's center point if you imagine it turned 90 degrees the tips are a long way out. The more sheer the more the cutter will over-cut on the top and bottom unless the knife is custom ground to compensate.

11/15/18       #26: Insert rabbeting cutter ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

Doesn't help with the rabbet part, but if you want a head that shears and doesn't leave a convex surface, you could use a cone shaped head in a tilting shaper.

Not an original idea, I was just thinking about how the Lamello lipping planer works.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)