Architectural Woodworking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

handrail fittings WITHOUT CNC

11/12/15       
Jay

I'm milling about 135ft of a custom (stair) handrail today & tomorrow, and within the job, are several transitions (upeasings, level quarter turns, Bullnose ends, etc)

For this profile, I have matched (very large) Custom Router Bits
-side profile milled from bottom
-side profile milled from top
-top profile milled from top
Shaper Knives (insert)
& Woodmaster Moulder knives

does anyone have any preferred methods for milling the fittings (without a CNC)

I have some interesting jigs & fixtures I've been using the past couple years, but of course I can't leave well enough alone, as there's always someone who knows a better trick for getting the job done!

milling flat rails, turns & bullnose rail ends are straienough, upeasings (especially when they're on the end of a 13ft rail blank!). are a resl challenge!

Any new ideas greatly appreciated!

11/12/15       #2: handrail fittings WITHOUT CNC ...
David R Sochar Member

I like to use the lathe for up and over easings. I have also used an over arm router with a swing jig, as well as a shaper with a swing jig.

11/12/15       #3: handrail fittings WITHOUT CNC ...
Jay

your initial comment had one of my brows raised in a "now, does he understand what I'm talking about" ponder. -that it until it "hit me". Lathe? oh! I get it ! but wait a sec. thats a mighty big chunk 'o glue-up you're spinning (if I am understanding correctly).
Now the "swing jig" you mention: how does that work?
Milling the side cuts gives my a couple obstacles (up-easings & over-easings) as the parts get run in a series of reverse profiled "shoes" -in the case of an up-easing, rail blank bottom is down on router table and run with side agsinst a very tall fence.. this is the basic idea of how I usually make easings (and having custom router bits goes a long way when making fittings like these).

but here are my issues with this particular job:
-the up-easings are made on the ends of several 12-13ft rails (two of which also have over-easings on the opposite ends)
ONE PIECE GLUE-UPS. -Im not making fittings, these are 1-pc, horizontally laminated custom rails.

& while a 2-4ft straight rail projecting off an easement could help with the milling procedure, 13foot straight rail is nearly impossible to handle.

has anybody ever heard of a "French Spindle"?
last time I built a curved stair, my helper recalled a conversation she'd had, where an Oldtimer had suggested a "French Spindle" for milling the free-form, horizontally laminated handrails, -I've yet to find out exactly what a "French Spindle" is??? anyone?

while we're on this subject, has anyone ever milled an ascending volute or turnout; by conventional means (without CNC) and without literally hand-carving the part?

11/13/15       #4: handrail fittings WITHOUT CNC ...
Larry

From a Google search:
French Spindle
From the magazine "The Woodworker" May 1922.
"Tracery panels are glue-joined with a square edge rubbed joint, so that the sinkings will not show up unsightly. These panels are then worked out by tracing and are jig-sawed or pieced, afterward being molded on the French Spindle as shown in Fig. 5. This spindle is usually 1/2 or 5/8-in. diameter and after the piercings have been made by a jig saw, the panel is dropped carefully over the head of the spindle, onto the machine table, and moved around until the cut is completed. The panels are then passed along to the carver to be cut in at the corners, pockets, etc."
So this a an adaptation of a shaper with a small spindle and a rub collar. It looks like it would be made by using the spindle as the rub collar.
Fig. 4. Is a special tool used on a drill press to make the radius molding shapes. You can see how the knife is retained with set screws. Similar in concept to the French Spindle, I didn't draw it. My drawing is an interpretation of the poor magazine illustration.

View higher quality, full size image (912 X 839)

11/14/15       #5: handrail fittings WITHOUT CNC ...
Jim Baldwin  Member

I constructed a handrail milling machine years ago and it's still on the job although I will plan to lretire soon After more than 20 years now, I've managed to learn a few things although it's still a bit of a proprietary concern. I haven't turned any stair handrail parts on the lathe for 40 years now. I mill descending volutes and all kinds easings and any kind of curved handrail up to about 4"without CNC (see my profile). It hasn't been free though since cutters cost hundreds. I ruined a French spindle recently so I no longer f with that. I've also made myself a sort of expert on tangent handrail too since that was part of the package.

However you approach all this, please be careful as milling handrail fittings without CNC can be hazarded to your health.

The old French spindle shaper was particularly wicked .

12/18/15       #6: handrail fittings WITHOUT CNC ...
Fred

Scmi R9 tilted head Can make damn near anything with massive cutters. Takes a big pair to run and will put some hair on em

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)