Woodworking Business

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Recovery, for real?

3/10/15       
Pat Gilbert

Increases driven by growth in developing regions and economic upturns.
Global demand for cabinets is projected to reach $64 billion in 2018 on advances of 5.5 percent per year. Increases will be driven primarily by robust growth in developing regions, as cabinets increase their market penetration in residential markets at the expense of other storage options such as freestanding furniture and shelves. An additional boost to global expenditures on cabinets will come from a recovery in demand in developed countries, where building construction was depressed as many countries faced economic downturns. These and other trends are presented in World Cabinets, a new study from Freedonia Group, Inc., a Cleveland-based industry market research firm.

The U.S., the world’s largest market for cabinets, will see strong increases in demand through the forecast period. Following the collapse in U.S. housing construction that began in 2006, cabinet demand declined for several years. According to analyst Mariel Behnke, “A recovery in building construction spending, particularly in the residential market, will boost US cabinet demand to $16 billion in 2018.” In addition to stronger construction activity, interest in more expansive kitchen and bathroom designs will boost unit demand for cabinets, while rising interest in premium features and finishes will support value growth.

Cabinet sales in the Asia/Pacific region, the largest regional consumer, are expected to reach $20 billion in 2018, nearly one-third of the global total. The Asia/Pacific region will also see the fastest regional growth, at 7.3 percent per annum through 2018, fueled by rapid demand growth in developing countries, primarily China and India. China is expected to continue to see the fastest increases in cabinet demand of any country, surpassing Japan to become the second largest global cabinet market. Rapid growth in installations of cabinets in new and existing homes, as well as in nonresidential buildings, will support the robust demand growth in China.

Western Europe, the largest regional market for cabinets in 2013, is expected to recover from the declines suffered during the economic recession, with cabinet sales reaching $17.5 billion in 2018. However, by that year it will be surpassed by both the Asia/Pacific region and North America, which can expect more rapid growth. Western Europe’s intensive cabinet use and continued interest in high-end features will support the recovery in demand in spite of expected stagnating housing completions in some countries.

3/10/15       #2: Recovery, for real? ...
Larry

Do they really know? Pretty easy to see the current up swing. There should be pent up demand, increases seem likely. No crystal ball needed or for that matter consultants.

3/10/15       #3: Recovery, for real? ...
Hillary's Private Server

I agree with Larry. The consultants get their numbers from the government. So, if you believe this report, you must be a communist. Specious baby, specious.

3/10/15       #4: Recovery, for real? ...
Pat Gilbert

I think the primary drivers they look at are demographics and the business cycle.

The question that occurs to me is that the current growth is not organic or pent up demand. The jobs are not being created and jobs are what makes people want to buy houses. IOW the current upswing is because of boomers and investors. The cost of housing is too high for most families, it is not because of an unwillingness to lend.

These Graphs show what I'm talking about.

View higher quality, full size image (600 X 399)

View higher quality, full size image (600 X 397)

View higher quality, full size image (600 X 569)

3/10/15       #5: Recovery, for real? ...
Pat Gilbert

Hillary's private servicer,

That was from a private company. Big picture wise the big growth is going to be Nigeria. It will not be here or Europe as the demographics and the debt are going to fetter the economy.

This is the where it is from:

Non government = non-specious

3/10/15       #6: Recovery, for real? ...
JimHerron

One can surmise from the two graphs that we have a lot more people and a lot more people NOT working.
Most business owners don't need a graph to figure that one out.
Jobless growth-wow, that's sustainable.

3/11/15       #7: Recovery, for real? ...
Pat Gilbert

Sactly

3/11/15       #8: Recovery, for real? ...
Pat Gilbert

One positive note:

View higher quality, full size image (600 X 402)

3/15/15       #9: Recovery, for real? ...
Anonymous for this one

No, except for the rich. It was very, very real for them and it is about to come crashing back down. Hope you made your hay while the sun was shining because it is about to rain very hard.

3/15/15       #10: Recovery, for real? ...
Pat Gilbert

What unit of time is about? This year, next year, next decade?

From what I see it is going to be a mild recession in 18 but the really bad one will come because of entitlements in 2030 or maybe sooner with this lethargic recovery

3/15/15       #11: Recovery, for real? ...
Richard Kerrell

It looks like the growth and demand is coming around 2018. Maybe it is a sign from the heavens that the 2016 election will be the one that fixes the mess. The article that started this thread is an example of how hard it is to talk the economy up as opposed to how easy it was to talk it down 7 years ago.

3/15/15       #12: Recovery, for real? ...
Pat Gilbert

Talking or the consumer confidence statistics or the wealth effect are the least precinct statistics there are. A more reliable predictor is the PMI index (purchasing managers index)

Or bond prices. E.G. if the
3 month bonds are paying more than the 10 year bonds most of the time there will be a recession. See the graph below at about 2007 the 3 month treasury payed more than a 10yr treasury. And there was a slight ripple in the economy that year.

But demographics are definitely a big driver.

Anyway you say"It looks like the growth and demand is coming around 2018." Where are you getting that from?

View higher quality, full size image (2680 X 1780)

3/15/15       #13: Recovery, for real? ...
Anonymous for this one

Who knows? 1-24 months is my best guess. And it is just that- a guess. Even the smartest financial guys will tell you timing is impossible. But it will make 2008 look small. Think Great Depression but with people lacking the work ethic, morals and experience of living through hard times that the people of the 1930's had and a government that is broke and spent all it's ammunition to further build a bubble that will bring the world to it's knees when it pops. World War III is on it's way. Don't trust the bank with your money. Don't buy the stock market at all time highs. Don't go into debt planning for growth. Worry about surviving the next decade because life as we know it in the house of cards that debt has built is about to crash. Your best investments are food, acreage,bullets and precious metals. Laugh all you want. Remember you were warned.

3/15/15       #14: Recovery, for real? ...
Pat Gilbert

And I'm accused of being negative.

I hear what you are saying but if you don't lighten up you will end up in a self fulfilling prophecy,

Yea some bad stuff is going to happen in 2030 because of entitlements and it will be bad.

OTOH a friend mine indicated that we have an 18 trillion dollar economy, (less if you take out government spending) here, that is a juggernaut that is really hard to slow down.

3/15/15       #15: Recovery, for real? ...
Anonymous for this one

Pat,
I was giving the sanitized cheerful version too. Your welcome to your 2030 opinion, but that is optimistic by a long shot. Nobody saw the fall of the Soviet Union, the dot.com crash or 2008 either- everybody thought those were years or decades away. When the jig is up the jig is up- things happen really fast when you have trillions of dollars of debt, hundred trillion of dollars in liabilities, and hundreds of trillions in deriviatives- stuff that makes 18 trillion look very, very small. When 47% of the population is on government handouts, the middle class has lost 40% of it's wealth, and 92 million working age people are without work- the only reason we haven't faced a depression already is our reserve currency status. But that is changing very quick- and if Russia and China have anything to say about it and believe me they do-it will be measured in months and not years of the US dollar being the reserve currency. The books are so cooked in all western countries that it will happen fast as soon as the tide turns it will happen incredibly fast. I wish I had your optimism but I'd rather deal with reality. By planning ahead I can deal with reality- and enjoy life ahead of it and then through it. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

3/15/15       #16: Recovery, for real? ...
Richard Kerrell

Pat, your friend was probably talking about our 18 trillion Debt, not economy.

3/15/15       #17: Recovery, for real? ...
Pat Gilbert

Ok but you have to look at cause and effect.

What you say about a reserve currency is true and we are long in the tooth for that to change and it will change quick as there are not going to be two reserve currencies it will quickly become one or the other.

OTOH the reason the dollar is strong right now is trust, which is not likely to be extended to communist countries?

The terrible BLS numbers are not a cause because they are already here. IOW we have already adjusted. And I think they will get better because of on-shoring.

But we are paying what 250 - 300 billion a year in debt service at almost 0 interest. The historical avg is what 6%, that 250 billion turns into over a trillion right quick.

Add to that the entitlements whereby the out go is greater than the tax revenue. The avg retiree will receive 7 times what he paid into medicare. That does not work.

And maybe a loss of reserve currency status and there will be default. It is just a math problem politics are irrelevant.

But that is still a few years off. But nobody wants to LOOK at this problem...

View higher quality, full size image (541 X 329)

3/15/15       #18: Recovery, for real? ...
Anonymous for this one

Pat,
Technology changes everything. The reserve currency in a world where you can log in at any time and get an exchange rate 24/7/365 with any first world currency and most third world currencies is a thing of the past. Trust-are we trustworthy? No we are the least dirty turd in the cess pool of currencies-all of which are made up out of thin air & are only worth the trust put into them. They are backed by nothing but the faith people have in them. Trust changes in 24 hours in this world. Your timelines work in a world where trades take a human buying or selling, or even pushing a button- but we live in a world where trades take place by the millions in micro seconds. Things that used to take decades happen in weeks. Things that took a year take place overnight. You are thinking that a default has to take place- even though I think that is very likely- all that has to happen is enough people to think a default will take place and you have a default taking place. Google what the rich are doing with their money- they are buying gold and buying remote compounds for when the world falls apart. The confidence is teetering on the brink and one morning you will wake up and the gentle nudge the world needed to come crashing down the cliff will have already taken place. 99.9% won't see it coming till it's already happened and by then it will be far, far to late.

3/16/15       #19: Recovery, for real? ...
Larry

You guys have reinforced my usual up-side-down point of view. Time to invest. About a year ago I pulled some $ out of the markets so I would be holding cash. Plan was it would be a cushion if business fell or could be used, with some current income if the sky didn't fall, to invest in new equipment. Sky didn't fall. Made some $. The delay has made our equipment a year older than before and it was a couple of years past replacement then. To stay even with advances in productivity and aging, a small company like mine needs to invest about $100K per year in the business. Since most of the new equipment exceeds $100K each, something isn't purchased every year. Do you really want to be running a 10 year old router when the productivity of a new one can be 20% greater with the same man hours?

Place your bets and spin the wheel.

3/16/15       #20: Recovery, for real? ...
Pat Gilbert

I'm not doing the chicken little thing, but it will happen it is just math.

Do you make a better return investing in the stock market or investing in your woodworking business?

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)