Woodworking Business

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Humans and profit

4/13/15       
Mel Member

I'm getting the impression that kumbaya and management principles are somewhat seen as binary. Warrants a thread, no?

I'll be clear--when I say take care of your humans, I don't mean throw company barbeques and hug/hang out with your staff.

I mean treating your human resources like just that--a resource. Every resource you use has particularities--there's a reason you don't machine metal like wood. It doesn't work, and it'll bring you to the poor house fast.

If you think the humans don't matter or are a side thought---I say no way. I see the impact of one single person's horrible attitude everyday. I'm not even referring to effects on morale--straight up dollar bills/company reputation/insurance rates.

One raging/angry shop foreman. He gets owner confidence in the name of talent. I get it--he is bright. But he's also completely awful.

What are the production trickle down effects of a raging maniac loose on a shop floor?

I see people that hide problems from him. I see people doing sketchy things to rush rush rush. I see the next in command being accused of being slow at his work because he is managing all the humans, in hopes of keeping the rager away.

I see problems not getting solved because everyone is afraid to talk. I see people taking sick days after fits of rage. I see the logistics manager having information with-held from her because Mister is in a mood.

But the worst is what it does to your worker pool, in terms of talent. Most smart people won't put up with that for a minute--other smart people will find ways around it but get very pessimistic with time. And we all know what pessimism does for problem-solving.

So the name of the game to survive there as a worker is to find a way to cope with one talented person's disproportionate rage.

And that poor soul of an angry man--his problem is amplified by the fact that no smart person wants to stick around, so he is in fact getting what he deserves.

I've seen this time and time again in trades. I love trades--it marries mind and body. It's fun work. But the humans ruin it a lot of the times. Too much ego/animosity/unleashed adrenaline. I think a lot of that is slowing down North America from the manufacturing revival that I'd like to see.

The same way Toyoda was dealing with a smarter work force and had to accommodate-- the same way our country and probably yours, needs to do that too.

PS-- just got my hands on a used Lexus. 1998 GS400 V8 engine with dual exhaust. Looks and drives mint, easy access to parts (interchangeable with other Toyota products). Still have a perma-grin from my last country road rip. Proof is in the pudding :)

4/14/15       #2: Humans and profit ...
Mel

Add on... forgot to mention the insurance rate effect. The poopy attitude has opened the doors for sketchy workmanship. Both in behavior coming from rush-under-pressure, and in worker quality.

Btw "worker quality" is polite-talk for having workers with sh!t for brains because no one else will put up with the madness.

I can't name the company, but an electrical contractor here in BC had one of those shotty employees that kept getting small claims for injuries at work. They didn't bother doing something about it, as the claims were repeated but small.

But the amount of claims raised them as a red flag with the local worker's safety board. A tragic accident happened where a large claim was involved (different worker).

But seeing as they were already red flagged, their insurance in the province went up so much that they were no longer competitive in labour.

They did manage to pick themselves up, but for a while only the formen were left, and they had to bend pipe and ruff it, working in neighboring provinces.

Not fun for anyone. Sketchy work is a money in the pocket problem, and it does need attention.

4/14/15       #3: Humans and profit ...
Human's, for real ......

Seeing as you have posted your
thoughts for 10 of the last 30 posts I'm thinking we should have WW change the forum to "Mel's Room"..........

FWIW, we have an extended lunch barbecue and early out on the Friday before Memorial Day and Labor Day. Wiffle ball in the parking lot, trash talking,etc. Everyone enjoys it and the lost few hours is more than made up by employee morale.

Surely Canada must have a holiday that you could fit one in.

4/14/15       #4: Humans and profit ...
John S  Member

Hi Mel,

My "two cents" is that yelling at people is almost always non-productive and often down right destructive. I go back to the old adage that "You can't make anyone do anything against their will".

Sure you can "make" them take on a task, but you can't force them to do it well. And further, I find that many "new" supervisors really don't know the difference. They haven't been exposed to those jobs first-hand, and have no real idea whether the person is doing a good job or just "looking busy". I find that many new supervisors don't even know how to interact with people on the shop floor. Some are intimidated by their employees, others have the "I'm the boss" mentality and still others just don't care.

To me, being a shop floor supervisor is the most difficult and important job there is to learn. If you can become a successful supervisor: motivate people, help them be successful and keep product flowing through a mill, you will develop all the skills necessary to be successful at almost any job. It has nothing to do with being "smart", it has everything to do with building respect and confidence. You've probably heard the adage, "you have to respect the position, but you don't have to respect the person." Well, sorry, but in my book, to be successful, those two things have to go hand in hand.

People simply do not respect others that try to get things done by yelling. If that's your only option, then you need to find another job that you can handle in a professional manner.

The only time I have ever yelled at anyone, ever, was when they were about to get run over by a forklift. In every other occasion there is always a better way.

4/14/15       #5: Humans and profit ...
Pat Gilbert

"You can't make anyone do anything against their will."

Don't tell that to the US military.

There are 3 ways to control someone.

1 To make less of them, E.G. Peer Pressure or Prejudiced

2 Force

3. Communication

The latter is the ONLY successful way to control someone. People associate control with something bad but it is also something good. E.G. the gymnast exhibits excellent body control or the speaker had excellent control of his audience or the drive had excellent control of the car.

Bad control results in anger, and hostility and quitting or a firing.

Good control results in production, high morale, and willingness.

It's all about control boys and girls...

4/14/15       #6: Humans and profit ...
Paul Downs

Mel - I wonder what you would write about my company if you worked for me, because you make the company you work for sound like an absolute hell hole. What are you doing there? Or is it not really as bad as you say?

As for the raging foreman, I would instantly fire an employee who yelled at his subordinates for any reason. A person with no control of their emotions should never manage others. You've already told us what effect this is having. My question: do you place so little value on your own efforts that you would continue to work for a boss who puts up with the foreman? Who apparently makes no distinction between him and you?

4/15/15       #7: Humans and profit ...
Eh?

"Shotty"? Good one. I am going to assume that is to get past the censor, not a typo.

The last time my boss yelled at me was the last time he saw me. I walked off the job and never returned.

I am divorced and my parents are dead - there is no one left on this planet who can yell at me.

4/15/15       #8: Humans and profit ...
Mel

Pseudonyms from regulars often mean that they expressed something in a way that might be embarassing to their name... no need. I'm pretty open, even if it's from a critical point of view. I never thought that I could display my thoughts openly in a public forum, unless I was ready for a public dose of "wtf?"

Let's condense.

1. You post a lot and a lot of it is negative about your workplace.

Yes, I do post a lot. It's because we are making monster strides since the month or two that I've been posting here. It's hugely beneficial. They've been stagnant for years, and now the whole place is shaking with energy. Earned myself the nickname "young bull". On top of that--it's a whole ton of fun.

Also: you other frequent posters, in the business section, are perhaps doing better then a chunk of folks out there, still kicking hard, trying to improve. Those are the folks that private message me about having the same problems too (owners, managers, and employees).

2. Some of you know the difference between control-through-cooperation, and surface-control-through-aggression.

Nice to see! Having been a roadie, I've seen a lot of different management styles (a different one every gig). When it was my turn to manage tours, I tried a few variants of my favorites.

Turns out paying attention to motivation was the strongest lead.

3. Is the place you work at a hell-hole or are you overly critical?

It was a hell-hole when I started, hands down. Now every single issue that I have ever posted here is being addressed. Little do you folks know--I'm listening intently.

This big one (aggression) is the last one on my list. Can you blame me for asking you? If a system works, you tend to stick to it, till it doesn't anymore.

PS--I don't get yelled at personally, but seeing other more shy people get it sucks as much.

4/15/15       #9: Humans and profit ...
Mel

"Eh?"-- I'm still chuckling at your post... Btw--"shotty" works in both ways it seems. Frenchy made a funny ;)

4/16/15       #10: Humans and profit ...
Stop the madness....

"Shotty" is just the French Canadian way to spell the English word "Shoddy"....

No different than when they spell "eh" for "a".....

4/16/15       #11: Humans and profit ...
Mel

hahahaha wait a sec--I actually tought "shoddy" was spelled "shotty"...

My goodness. Why is your language so complicated? ;)

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)