Woodworking Business

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

shop layout software

4/14/15       
Gary

I am going to add a 9500 sq. ft. machine room to the cabinet shop. Is there any software out there to help with tool layout and work flow. Tools would include everything from big stuff such as a cnc, slr saw, 6 head moulder, 3 head widebelt, and clamp carrier down to shapers, mitersaws and everything inbetween.

4/14/15       #2: shop layout software ...
Gary Balcom

Hi Gary,

Any CAD system will do the job you're asking. Likely, you'll need to measure all of your equipment anyways to get the right sizes; there is no magic bullet that i'm aware of.

AutoCAD would work great if you know it and have access to it. Draftsight is free and very similar.

4/14/15       #3: shop layout software ...
Larry

How complex are the items produced? Kitchens usually have at least 80% of their parts very similar. You will want to maximize the flow through the shop for at least 80% of all parts. There is a simple graphic way of doing this. Layout your space to scale on a pc. of Celetex (Soft cane board.) Draw the things inherently fixed. Make card stock tools to scale with one edge turned up as a handle. Include the max sized work pc. coming & going. Mark that part in a different color. The goal is to have the most parts you can, flow through the layout w/o having to back up. If you are a very small shop you might get by with nothing more than a table to lay the parts on at the outfeed/infeed of the next operation. If you aren't likely to use two machines that can share a common in & out area at the same time their colored "boards" can over lap. After getting an initial layout, take push pins and pin each machine to the celetex. Using colored strings trace the path that each part must follow by winding it around the pins. You now have a representation of not only the paths but also the volume of work (# of strings on a given path.) Photograph each layout you do to preserve it. Digital cameras are great! You can go through many iterations in a short time. Each improving the flow and maybe taking some other things into consideration. This scheme can also allow for future equipment by making it possible to locate w/o a lot of changes. You can let your employees see how it works. Make a series of layouts with improvements and tack the photos next to each other for evaluating progress. Progress will take days of considering, trade offs, etc. But you will have provided a way of inching your way to the conclusion. Allowing everyone to see the results & contribute. 1/4" scale is nice to work in.

4/14/15       #4: shop layout software ...
JWSee

Get yourself a piece of sheet metal and paint it white. Take a markalot pen and draw the walls and bathrooms. Then go to the office supply store and get some colored construction paper and peel & stick refrigerator magnets (the kind you sometimes see business cards affixed to.)

Step 2 is to use the construction paper to make scale versions of the machinery. These little models will be fastened to the refrigerator magnets.

This is kind of an analog approach but will allow your crew to have some input about shop layout without having to know anything about CAD.

I was going to wait for Mel to suggest this but she's busy tuning her guitar for the afternoon sing-along. Since I already had the koolaid poured I figured I would pitch in.

4/15/15       #5: shop layout software ...
David R Sochar Member

I have used JWSee's method - or similar - to lay out over 9 shops in the last 35 years - almost all were pre-CAD. Keep to scale, and on each 'machine' be sure to list dust extraction in CFM and connection port size, power requirements, and compressed air needs. I also included carts with 16' lumber and sheet goods so I could literally push them around and park them by equipment. It is nice to locate machines, but without materials coming into and away from the carts, it is hard to see the real flow. I encouraged key employees to do the same, and add suggestions as they came up.

This avoided any large screw-ups and only required minor tuning. It helps get everyone on the same page for moving things, and will help the electricians, air supply guys and dust collection pipe runners.

Once it is settled, photograph it and then lay out on the floor where the machines go, along with the key connection info that was used on the mock-ups. Use a black marker, and be sure to indicate feed directions and such details. I like to use the flexible cable disconnects coming down from above so things can be scooted without running more conduit.

4/16/15       #6: shop layout software ...
SB Member

Hi,

I just finished the capstone for my degree in wood products processing. Our project was to come with a product and do a plant lay out and complete economic analysis.

The plant layout is best done if you can get to autocad and draw the unit and print it to scale on a large piece of paper ( outsource this to the printers ). Then, get your exact machine dimensions, and cut them to dimension on colored cardboard paper. Then try to fit them in the drawing in a logical flow. Save space for buffers, walkways, trollies and racks by using different coloured paper. I thought I had the best layout, but I came back to it a week later and moved it around came up with an even better one. Also, as Larry said, make sure you can get your biggest piece through all the zones, by having another coloured cutout for your representative piece.

4/16/15       #7: shop layout software ...
Tim Schultz

You might also want to test your layout ideas with something called 'Value Stream Mapping'.

After you have your layout established on paper take a colored pencil and trace the path a product would travel through the shop. Start the pencil at Station 1 then continue to Station 2 etc. This drawing will really educate you as to how much back and forth and inside out you have to travel sometimes to get something done.

When you are done with one product repeat the process with a different colored pencil for the next product. Eventually your shop layout drawing will start to resemble a plate of spaghetti. All those switchbacks cost money but don't necessarily add equal dollars to the pile of money.

4/16/15       #8: shop layout software ...
SB Member

The first picture is using the method described up. The second picture is another way we did it once, as i describe now.

We outlined it on paper and put the paper on corkboard, then we pinned the machine cutouts, and when we had a layout we liked, we taped it down. I have templates for all those machines and forklifts etc. you can shoot me an email for them.

View higher quality, full size image (3264 X 2448)

View higher quality, full size image (1620 X 780)

4/17/15       #9: shop layout software ...
Alan F.

I think an important design criteria is to minimize dust, air and power runs and centralize as much as possible.

Efficient part movement and sequence is based on your product line but should include buffers for expansion machines and technologies.

Spending 5k for a professional consultant that has laid out thousands of plants may be well worth the money.

We have used the same consultant multiple times. You should be able to get all your machine foot prints in cad or dxf from the machine vendors.

A-

4/18/15       #10: shop layout software ...
David Waldmann  Member

"I think an important design criteria is to minimize dust, air and power runs and centralize as much as possible."

I have to disagree. Assuming you are laying out a plant that you expect to operate for more than just a few months, the savings in efficiency will pay back any up-front cost before you know it. And then will be gravy for the rest of your life.

Of course, if two different placements of the same machine provide exactly the same flow, one that minimizes the cost of utilities would be the preferable one. But that should always be secondary to flow.

4/18/15       #11: shop layout software ...
Larry

"I think an important design criteria is to minimize dust, air and power runs and centralize as much as possible." I sort of agree but it is a distant 2nd to flow.
"buffers for expansion machines and technologies." That's a real tricky one! Takes a good crystal ball to work very far out. Even with in our main type of product (panel processing) things have changed hugely in the past 25 years. Even in the over 15 years that we have been running CNC machines, big changes in methods, space requirements, utilities.... At one time we did very little contour banding, very common now, mainly because designers have jumped on, not because of any particular tech change.

4/20/15       #12: shop layout software ...
Caleb Scarbrough Member

I am surprised that SketchUp has not been mentioned here already. It is a very powerful program for designing spaces, and I have used it in every shop I have been in in the past eight years. It is free, and you could download thousands of models pre-built by other sketch of users, often the exact machinery you are trying to fit into your space, or you can scale them to fit.
Using sketch up has saved me hours upon hours rearranging and I have been happy every time with the outcome. If you need a little help getting started, there are scads of videos available that will get you headed in the right direction quickly.

4/20/15       #13: shop layout software ...
Gary

An employee of mine said his former boss used software to set up his new shop. He is trying to find out what it is. He thought it placed equipment for you after it was given necessary parameters such where material enters the shop, work flow direction, material size, what equipment you have, ect. It offered several options and allowed you to make changes but to their surprise to first option it gave was the best option.

4/20/15       #14: shop layout software ...
Alan F.

Larry,
"I think an important design criteria is to minimize dust, air and power runs and centralize as much as possible." I sort of agree but it is a distant 2nd to flow"

My comment should have read
An important design criteria is to centralize the main distribution of power, air and dust collection. The braches would go off of main lines to support flow.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)