Woodworking Business

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Product to Market

10/9/15       
Miko Member

Hi All,

First off I would like to say I am super excited to have found Woodweb.com and am looking forward to exploring and learning more as I get familiar with the site. Obviously, I am new to this forum and am looking for assistance in bringing a product to market. I have been working on the design of a children's piece of furniture for the past 2 years. I developed this piece after seeing a need from my daughter to have this stepstool and figuring out how to make one that functionally works well within our limited space. I decided to pursue bringing it to market after I received various requests to build additional pieces from various friends. I have built 3 functional working prototyps with enhancements to the design with each version. The last version I converted to CNC and had it cut.

Within the last two years I have learned a lot about the process but find myself still feeling infinitely ignorant as I consider what it is going to take to bring this product to market. For example I have filed a Provisional Patent Application with the USPTO. I hired a CAD Designer, and have physically built three working prototypes. BTW-I have decided to learn how to actually design with AutoCad (using Onshape which has been awesome as a side note) after the freelance designer I worked with did not catch flaws and mistakes with the design that I counted on him for. This realization came after I tried getting the design converted to the CNC input needed to get it cut.

In any case, one of the biggest hurdles I am facing right now is trying to find a manufacturer (in the US) which would be centrally located (like somewhere in the midwest in order to keep distribution costs low) and who would be willing to work with a newby like me. I have found that first I have to jump all these hurdles in order for them to even begin talking to me (which I understand because their time is money). For example most want me to have a business license and a tax ID... But I would like to make sure that it is even financially feasible to produce before I spend money speaking with an attorney (in order to determine which business structure I should choose) and filing for a business license and ID, etc, etc....

To make a long story short I am looking for guidance on next steps I should take. Specifically do you guys know of any Furniture Manufacturers in the US who work strictly with CNC and who are open to outside Designers (huhummm, that would be me) in order to answer some technical questions about the design (cutting clearances, tolerances, production etc...)?

I hope this all makes sense and I apologize for any incorrect usage of terms and any faux paus I might have created in posting this plea to this forum.

View higher quality, full size image (1010 X 888)

10/9/15       #2: Product to Market ...
cabmaker

You might want to check in with your insurance company about this.

Several years ago I was insured by American States Insurance. They were regarded as a pretty high quality underwriter at the time. If they would insure you anybody would.

During an audit one year the only thing they wanted to know was if I made step stools or ladders. They wouldn't insure me if I did.

Ever since then I would not touch anything a child or baby could fall off of.

10/9/15       #3: Product to Market ...
Frenchy

I don't understand why you included that drawing in this post - it adds nothing.

The biggest faux pas I see is that you misspelled faux pas.

10/9/15       #4: Product to Market ...
cabmaker

Frenchy, you need to get your mom to give you a hug or something. There is no reason to be snarky.

Miko was correct in posting that drawing. It shows the rest of us that he has given this some thought and basically describes what he is looking for.

He is also correct in performing due diligence before setting up a business just to investigate viability.

10/9/15       #5: Product to Market ...
Robert Williams

Get a copy right on the design first which is a lot easy than a patent

Get accurate shop drawings, materials summary/BOM, and part drawings.

There are hundreds of shops that have excess capacity on their CNC's, get a quote on your BOM and part-drawings from the many shops around you that have CNC's. Have them quote cutting the parts, and or assembly and finishing.

I know this is your baby but don't get attached to it to much, the only way to know if you have a viable product is to take it to market, get a small booth at a trade only market in furniture and expose it to buyers. At the AmericasMart Atlanta and or the High Point Market there are thousands of buyers at these shows that buy for retails stores and if you already have prototypes made it the best way to get honest feedback on your product, they either buy it or they don't.

You could also throw it up on the web and see if there is any interest in it, WIX, Shopify, Etsy, Custom Made....

Good luck,

10/9/15       #6: Product to Market ...
Miko Member

Thanks for the responses so far. @Frenchy I was pressed for time & should have explained it a bit. I included the drawing just to give an idea of the types of questions I have. In that example I highlighted the cutting clearance I used, of .25" based off of the cutting width of the blade that was used to cut the last prototype- wasn't sure if it was ok to layout parts, that are to be cut, the way I did being so close together...

Thanks for the tips Cabmaker and Robert. The problem with trying to find a local CNC shop is that I live in Wilton, a small town in NH, and the nearest shops I could find were in Boston (which are an hour and a half away). I wanted to see if I could find some online resources before having to go all the way out there. Hence Woodweb.

Robert, I recall reading about High Point Market and have added it on my list of things to follow up with. Have you attended before?

Miko

10/9/15       #7: Product to Market ...
Robert Williams

Miko,

I have attended the High Point Market 60 times over the last 20 years, I have been to almost every trade show in the furniture industry at least once on 4 continents, the only one I have not been to is the The Salone del Mobile in Italy the dates have never worked out for me.

The reason I say throw your product up on the web or take a prototype to a wholesale trade market somewhere, you will never know if your product is viable until professional buyers are exposed to it. Spend your money on prototypes and exposure, if it sells then it's a given that you will need to get up to snuff on the business side of things.

10/9/15       #8: Product to Market ...
Bruce H

Miko, if you found a shop only an hour and half away and they are willing to talk to you why don't you get in your car and drive there? If you are wanting to get something off the ground seems like you are going to have to put a bit of pavement into it. Take your prototype with you.

10/10/15       #9: Product to Market ...
Frenchy

If that drawing is any indication, then due diligence is the least of his concerns.

10/12/15       #10: Product to Market ...
rich c.

I wouldn't waste any effort on the patent, unless you have the money to protect it. No idea on how you should proceed.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)