Woodworking Business

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

IKEA coming to town (Small cabinet Company)

1/24/16       
Matt Member

Hello,

Ikea is coming to my town, wondering how other custom cabinetry shops, deal with ikea next door.

Any comments welcomed!

Thank you.

1/24/16       #2: IKEA coming to town (Small cabinet ...
Cabmaker

Offer to build custom doors that fit standard Ikea cabinets.

1/25/16       #3: IKEA coming to town (Small cabinet ...
Dropout Member

Or custom size cabinets and doors that look like IKEA cabinets. If they are (supposedly) saving thousands on an IKEA kitchen but can't get the 27 3/8 cabinet they need to make it all perfect, then the price is secondary.

I've done a few of these.

1/25/16       #4: IKEA coming to town (Small cabinet ...
John McGinnis Member

Matt,

We are dealing with this too. They are actually going to rename the street we are located on Ikea Way. It's going to be the largest Ikea in the U.S. and we will be a block away. I've been thinking of advertising to install Ikea kitchens.

Are you in Burbank too?

1/25/16       #5: IKEA coming to town (Small cabinet ...
Dropout Member

John, good idea. See if you can get IKEA to recommend you.

Get the install $ and the upcharges for the stuff IKEA can't supply.

Could even reduce your capital cost and improve your cashflow if the client buys the IKEA stuff for you.

1/25/16       #6: IKEA coming to town (Small cabinet ...
RobertNH  Member

This too funny not to mention..

I'm sending two guys tomorrow to install an IKEA credenza.

This is a High End Client that we installed his entire new office upfit with Custom built items..

Now we're going back and installing an IKEA credenza in his office..

No doubt we'll be back to give him something good..
I've seen it before and have a feeling it will happen again.

IKEA is a phase they go through.
As was the Big Box Stores when they hit the area.

You'll be replacing that junk shortly!

1/27/16       #7: IKEA coming to town (Small cabinet ...
chipbored

What's your target market? If it's not low end DIY people you should be fine.

This is an opportunity to capitalize on the buzz around town when everyone gets excited about doing up the house.

Perhaps you could capitalize on the exposure in a way that channels your desired client to you.

So true what was said about IKEA being a phase people go through. If I had a dollar for every time I had a conversation with someone who said they installed an IKEA kitchen (or had one installed) and would NEVER DO IT AGAIN I would have about $50.

I think aligning with IKEA by doing installs or "add on's" to kitchens will compromise your brand and stagnate your growth. Differentiate from IKEA by highlighting your points of difference. Fully custom, better quality materials, 20-30 year kitchen instead of a 10 year kitchen.

Perhaps you could develop a marketing and sales strategy that respectfully highlights your positives over IKEA, if that still doesn't get someone interested in your product over IKEA then they just aren't the customer for you.

1/27/16       #8: IKEA coming to town (Small cabinet ...
Matt Member

I agree, I don't think we will offer services for ikea, in regards to installing cabinetry or providing doors and drawers.
I wouldn't want our image tarnished.

Thank you all of your comments, chipboard

We are a high quality custom cabinet shop, which specializes in high end designs.

Since we are new to ikea, I have looked at their site, but i'm not sure what to expect from our local industry.

Such as how big of a price difference, quality difference, etc.

I always like to learn about my competition, as in how people have dealt with people shopping with ikea and their custom cabinetry shop.

Does anyone have any recommendations on selling custom cabinetry next door to ikea?

Chipboards comments make a lot of sense, selling quality cabinets vs ikea , you serve your target customers.

Still more comments welcome!! on this new box store in my local market!

1/30/16       #9: IKEA coming to town (Small cabinet ...
Harold morantz

We just finished two coffee tables for a new client that has totally renovated her condo. She has great taste. Ultra modern and there is a lot of Treefrog veneer work that has already been done. She also had a beautiful modern kitchen where the basic concept used IKEA high gloss white cabinets augmented by some custom cabinets that blend perfectly with the Stock cabinets. She has done this in several rooms and the look is great. Imammattaching pics of the coffee tables we did. Tree frog veneers with high gloss beige acrylic rolling bridge over one coffee table. Charged 4K and completed the project in under a day.
I have done this before and my best advice is use their advertising ability to push your custom work, but do not knock their cabinetry... The truth is that they offer great designs and the quality has been improving. Use their success to show off your own work and stress that you are delivering a custom product that they do not have to put together themselves, but it never pays to knock any competitor, it only demeans the confidence in the consumer and we all lose. My two cents. Harold.

View higher quality, full size image (1536 X 2048)

View higher quality, full size image (1536 X 2048)

View higher quality, full size image (2048 X 1536)

9/12/19       #10: IKEA coming to town (Small cabinet ...
Pat Gilbert

I was reading in a book (Choose, Ryan Levesque)

He talked about using Google Trends (albeit for on line business)

He made a point that whatever niche you are considering you didn't want the niche to be too large or too small

This is the chart that includes custom cabinets

I agree with what has been stated, don't fight it look for an opportunity

9/12/19       #11: IKEA coming to town (Small cabinet ...
Pat Gilbert

Didn't take the photo on last post

9/12/19       #12: IKEA coming to town (Small cabinet ...
Pat Gilbert

Funny shows up on preview but not on post

9/12/19       #13: IKEA coming to town (Small cabinet ...
The Staff at WOODWEB

Pat - if you send the image to me, I can try to add it to your listing. Send via email to webmaster@woodweb.com.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)