Woodworking Business

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection?

3/28/18       
Kevin Bayerlein Member

We just installed a Job with around 110 Solid Maple Dovetailed Drawer boxes and owners are rejecting the Drawer Boxes because our company Logo is laser cut on the drawer sides, has anyone ever dealt with this issue?, it's about 8,000 in Drawer Boxes not the mention labor involved to change out. Appliances and Plumbing fixtures are branded so what's the difference?

View higher quality, full size image (2919 X 1642)

3/28/18       #3: Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection? ...
SteelieMark

To many, "custom" means made just for them, not produced for the masses.
Straight up- I'd be ok with one or two logos, or all embossed on the back or bottom. On the inside of every drawer ?. Nope, that's for the stuff you buy at the borgs.
What to do? I don't see any way out beyond veneering over the logo and refinishing if the clients will accept that
Sorry. Looks like a fine drawer though.

3/28/18       #4: Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection? ...
Mark Elliott Member

Kevin,

You have made a major mistake putting your name on those drawer boxes.

As a supplier your customer in King.

The only place you need to see your name is on the check.

Mark

3/28/18       #5: Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection? ...
Family Man

What's written in your contract, spec page and shown as samples. If they've seen your work in your place of business or on another job I'd make them pay for them as it is your standard operating procedure. If this is new though, not spelled out or shown anywhere then you might want to consider their perspective. I'd not want it on my drawers. Probably not a deal breaker but if I was spending the type of money where the drawers cost 8k I'd not want your company logo there.

3/28/18       #6: Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection? ...
Kevin Bayerlein Member

The Clients actually visited a Job near completion a few miles away and Loved the Cabinets, we have been branding our products as standard procedure for decades without ever a complaint, in fact I literally was asked on two separate occasions to "please add your logo" inside our drawers, all high end European manufactures brand their products such as Poggenpohl, Siematic and others along with plumbing fixtures manufacturers and appliances manufacturers and don't see the difference

3/28/18       #7: Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection? ...
Mark B Member

I agree that virtually everything in a kitchen or home for that matter is branded. I dont really see the issue here, and from them, especially if they physically looked at your work at other locations. May be something to add to your contract but I would be taking photos of the other jobs they visited and presenting that to them as your standard procedure.

I do think its a bit over the top to brand every single drawer and on the interior but I can imagine it would be easier to just brand all drawers as opposed to the top drawer.

It seems pretty common in the custom cab world to have drawers with logos.

3/28/18       #8: Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection? ...
rich c.

I refuse to buy a car with the dealership logo stuck on the back. They may feel you are expecting them to market your company for free. First I'd offer a financial incentive to leave them as is. If that doesn't fly, you better have that in the drawer specifications in the contract. If you care to battle harder, be prepared for negative marketing from them FOREVER. Change your contract language right away if it's not in there already.

3/28/18       #9: Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection? ...
Kevin Member

Does that mean if you buy a Mercedes you buy the one without and badging whatsoever? We are a manufacturer not a reseller

3/28/18       #10: Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection? ...
Mark B Member

No one rejects having SubZero on their fridge, or Fisher & Paykel on their appliances. Viking plastered clear across their stove. Hans Grohe faucets, LeCreuset cookware and Wusthof cutlery displayed all throughout their kitchen.

It seems a little odd.

I can remember my brother trying to argue with the car dealer about putting their placard on the back of his truck back in the seventies along with fighting for the complimentary set of low budget floor mats they probably threw in to shut him up which he wore as a badge of bargaining honor for the few weeks before he realized they were trash and bought nicer ones.

Branding is everywhere. I recently did some work in a kitchen where each cab actually had a metal manufacturers tag/logo on the top rail of every cabinet. It was an old somewhat dated kitchen.

If they saw your other work in multiple locations I would be on that train.

3/29/18       #11: Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection? ...
Stu

How about a small metal nameplate with their name engraved in it to cover it?

3/29/18       #12: Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection? ...
door shop guy

I would prefer them to be at the back LEFT hand part of the drawer. Being on the right hand side just seems wrong....I would bet that is part of why they do not like them.
(left to right)
Also it is not spaced evenly.

3/29/18       #13: Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection? ...
Bill

I would stick to your guns. That is standard operating procedure and all your cabinets have been made that way for years. In in no way diminishes the kitchen or the value of the home.

They are picking the specs out of the pepper.

Good Luck

3/29/18       #14: Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection? ...
Pat

Ridiculous and wasteful of materials and labor to fix this. Also, they're on the INSIDE! Drawers will eventually be filled with stuff and and logos will barely be visible.

Apologize, but stand your ground unless they specified no logos.

3/29/18       #15: Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection? ...
David R Sochar Member

Afterthoughts are all I can offer. I agree that they are too much. One drawer is all that is needed. And perhaps half the size you have.

We use a hallmark, a metal imprint whammed with a hammer or mallet to dent the wood with the logo. Most people never see it until we point it out.

Levis has done OK with the small red tag. Other brands seem to have to plaster their name large and prominently. Though that may have more to do with ego than informing.

3/30/18       #16: Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection? ...
Adam

$8k for 110 drawers. $73 per drawer. That is a high cost for dovetailed drawers. Obviously there are big ones. There are also small ones.

How much does it cost for you to have them laser engraved?

What other products do you have engraved?

What was the total cost for all of their work?

3/31/18       #17: Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection? ...
TonyF

Kevin Bayerlein:

It is indeed an unfortunate circumstance to encounter, one where neither side sees themselves as being problematic.

Myself, I think the logo is over the top, but that is my personal preference, since I am old enough to remember when logos were very small and very inconspicuous, say on the back inside collar of a shirt instead of on the front panel.

Perhaps getting the clients logo as a sticker would be an easy, but perhaps not inexpensive overlay that would make this go away. Maybe some self adhesive pre-finished veneer would be an easy fix as well.

I don't know if you manufacture your own drawers or sub them out, but imagine if your drawer supplier had engraved their logo onto the drawers, because they had always done so, and they felt that they were proud of their work and that their customer should have no problem with it. How would you feel about that?

TonyF

3/31/18       #18: Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection? ...
Tom

While I agree that a logo on every drawer is a bit much, maybe a cover up label is a simple solution. Just out of curiosity, is the client an attorney?

4/1/18       #19: Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection? ...
Mark Elliott Member

Kevin,

After reading some of the other posts, I may have jumped to the wrong conclusion.

If memory serves me correct I thought in the past you were promoting your shop to be a source for components for other shops and I assumed these drawers were for another company and therefor your name shouldn't have been on them.

If these were for a private client then that's a different story.

Can you supply more details?

Mark

4/1/18       #20: Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection? ...
Kevin Member

Mark,

These are our drawers in our cabinets for our clients and our design and installation, not to mention the clients had visited our facility as well as another project we were installing near their new residence with the same drawers at both locations without a word about our company Crest located inside the drawers.

4/2/18       #21: Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection? ...
Bob Member

In the Furniture Industry, we always put the logo on the back of the drawer front.

4/3/18       #22: Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection? ...
Gary

There is no way I would replace the drawers or give any restitution. Another perfect example that the client is NOT always right.

4/13/18       #23: Drawer Box Laser Logo Rejection? ...
woodguy

Could you rotate the drawers 180 degrees so the logo is in the back rather than the front? I understand it is a lot of work and drawers are likely notched for slides. Just a thought.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)