Woodworking Business

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Finding/building a new facility

12/13/15       
Daniel Member

I am starting a new business and could use some advice on locating a new facility. The heart of the business is a new, very low impact logging technique. It relies on low volume cutting and therefore a vertically integrated model, adding as much value as practical to the wood that I harvest, seems appropriate.

I am now in need of a facility to store and dry lumber, locate a solar kiln as well as a high temp finishing kiln, store equipment, and construct a conditioned shop space to do secondary processing, manufacturing, and kiln dried wood storage, as well as a shop to build and repair equipment. I have a strong preference for owning rather than leasing.

As far as I can tell, there are basically two property types, and three approaches, that could work for me in my area. Industrial land which seems to be the most expensive, but provides the greatest potential for expansion and the most flexibility in terms of various manufacturing/processing activities, and "impacted forest" land which is potentially significantly less money but seems to limit my options some. On the impacted forest land I can build an unregulated agricultural building and conduct primary forest product processing in it, or, if the property is appropriate, my wife and I could live there and start a home occupation (limit of five employees), which would provide much more latitude to do other manufacturing activities. The caveat is that we like where we live now and don't really want to move out of town onto forest land.

From what you've heard of my story, which of these options seems most compelling? What am I missing in all of this? I would like the facility to stand as a decent investment by its own right, so that if the business fails I won't lose my shirt. I have essentially unlimited access to "free" (I have to work for it) high quality lumber and timbers. Should I be looking to build a new facility on raw industrial land? Would building a new facility be a good investment on it's own? I can't buy premium property because I just don't quite have those kinds of funds available. My family has offered me a $200k loan, and I have about $50k in cash to add to that, and I would like at least 2 acres. That doesn't seem to get much around here. There are 4.8 acres of rural industrial land in the area and the asking price is $230k, but it has a high water table and therefore does not qualify for septic approval. Red flags?

I know this is a long post, but I have a lot on my mind, and would love to get some good advice from experienced folks. Thanks for reading.

12/13/15       #2: Finding/building a new facility ...
Shaun

Two thoughts on any non industrial land purchase. What's it gonna take to get 3 phase electric and can the big rigs get in/out easy enough. I wouldn't be concerned with out growing the facility because if you reach that point then likely you have the means to do something about it.

12/13/15       #3: Finding/building a new facility ...
Daniel Member

Shaun, thank you for the reply. There are places available with adequate access, so I believe that would be workable. The power situation is another story. As of yet I don't have any experience with 3 phase. Are phase converters a reasonable solution? Or is the expense and inefficiency a deal breaker? The largest piece of equipment I see in my near future would be a small moulder and the necessary associated equipment. So maybe 50hp or so.

12/13/15       #4: Finding/building a new facility ...
rich c.

Are you going to have employees? Check with the county. They may have incentives for new businesses including low cost loans and infrastructure improvements. Around me there are all kinds of vacant industrial real estate available. Can't imagine building would be cheaper.

12/14/15       #5: Finding/building a new facility ...
Daniel Member

Rich, my attitude on employees currently is not yet. I will hire an employee only after I have demonstrated that the cash flow is there for that. At this point I am keeping my job, so I don't have the time to keep things moving at the rate that would be necessary to keep an employee busy, paid for, and not leeching my finances. If I am able to get the operation up and running employees would become necessary.

The real estate environment here (Western Oregon) may be different than where you are located. It seems like there is not much available and folks are asking half a million and up for places that would meet my criteria. One nearby property has an 8000sf concrete shop/warehouse on 3 acres, pretty close in to town with good access, and power...it would be perfect, though the building is a bit bigger than necessary, but they're asking 775k for it. Way out of my range. Perhaps that is just the reality of this kind of endeavor and I am in need of a reality check.

Industrial property is a whole new thing for me. Would a facility framed out of wood even have much value? I'm sure people would generally prefer a steel or concrete structure, I know I would, but the wood is virtually free so it seems like the more practical solution.

It would definitely be my preference to find a place that was already improved, but I'm not willing to take on more debt than the family loan. So far all equipment is payed for and I intend to keep it that way. It's a quality of life issue for me.

No doubt building a shop would be an expensive endeavor on it's own, but the way I'm looking at it, at least the land would provide some immediate benefits in the form of space to stack and air dry the wood I cut, and a place to store my equipment. I could then develop it at my own pace, as funds became available from my job as well as from my fledgling operation. I need to dig into the details to see exactly how much constructing the buildings I need would cost. I wouldn't be surprised if it led me right to what you are saying in terms of cost.

Thanks for the tip on incentives. I will look into that, a trip to the county is in order anyway.

12/14/15       #6: Finding/building a new facility ...
Larry

Are you in an area where building codes must be met? That might add a major cost to your wooden structure. 3 phase power will be a must if you plan on anything past a hobby. "Free wood" isn't free! It will cost to get properly equipped just to move it to your location. As a business you are starting out under financed. As a hobby it will never provide a ROI. Good luck.

12/14/15       #7: Finding/building a new facility ...
Daniel Member

I really appreciate all the great responses. Thank you!

Larry, is your comment on 3 phase intended to communicate that phase converters are not a viable solution, or just that the issue will need to be addressed in some way? The building permit issue is something I am currently researching, I have mostly pursued the impacted forest option in which building permits are not required. Seems like a big benefit, but alas 3 phase power is unlikely to be provided from the utility on those sites.

In terms of "free wood". I am far enough down the rabbit hole with all this to have worked out the logistics of the wood. Sawmill, truck, trailer, and basic log moving equipment are all present and paid for. Swing blade sawmill means blade cost are pretty low, so the wood mostly just costs me the diesel to move it, the fuel to run the mill, a little equipment maintenance and my time. Of course the time part is not insignificant.

12/14/15       #8: Finding/building a new facility ...
Larry

Rotary converts work but by the time you get one big enough to operate a small molder it is going to be expensive. I have a small Weinig 5 head. Total motor power is 65. It is served by a 300A 3 phase 208V breaker. Even if you are only running a total of 40 hp (molder) you need a175A, 230V breaker. You have to have good dust collection or you get bad moldings. 10 hp 60-70A breaker, 5 hp compressor 30A breaker. Even a small log saw will need 200A. Diesel electric system?

12/15/15       #9: Finding/building a new facility ...
Dave

Maybe just a nutty idea here....what's wrong with renting an appropriate space where you would have access to 3 phase power, easy in and out for trucks and so on? Seems to me like that would solve a bunch of issues while you determine if you can make it all go and produce a profit.

Take all that "free wood" and sell it instead of making a building out of it and having the potential of starting up your business with some very significant debt for a very long time. Most businesses do start up in rented quarters...even those in this industry.

12/15/15       #10: Finding/building a new facility ...
Daniel Member

Dave, that does sound pretty sensible. Let me explain what led me toward owning over leasing, not because I think it's right, but just to share my reasoning. My business is not really ready for prime time yet, I don't have an established product, but plenty of ideas (non proven), and I have a lot of R&D left to work out the kinks on the products and services I would like to offer. I have a good job with flexible hours, so as long as I keep that I won't have a problem making payments, and I can keep developing on the side. Basically, my reasoning was that if I lease, I will have money flowing out with very little coming back for a little while yet, probably not until I quit my job in any event. If I buy, I would have a similar amount of money going out, but I would be building equity, which feels better to me than just watching the money disappear. I feel like I would have more psychic space to really do things properly and develop products that I can be proud of, without the pressure of knowing that time spent at this phase was money lost.

I guess this maybe makes my endeavors sound more like a hobby than a legitimate business plan, and there may be some truth to that. But, when I feel that my offerings are mature enough to take to market, I would very much like to make a go at it as a more active/legitimate business. I guess the question that I am toying with is weather the land/facility can stand as an investment on its own, even if the business fails. If not, then developing a location could also represent money lost if the business doesn't come together, and the benefit of owning would be negligible or worse.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)