Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

A solution to your employee problem

1/12/16       
Pat Gilbert

A solution to your employee problems

Employee solution

1/12/16       #2: A solution to your employee problem ...
TonyF

Pat Gilbert:

Great video. I'm glad that I am as old as I am, so that I can just wither and die when the thrashers come for me. I worry about what my children will do as the future becomes the present.

As with anything replaced by automation, the more highly skilled endeavors are the last to go. In our business, standardization by the building industry has made custom less necessary (the "builder's kitchens" from the 1960's, windows and doors), and CNC machinery is doing much of the labor that I did when I first started in this line of work.

One of the first real skills I learned was the hand grinding of shaper and molder knives. It took a while to learn, and I was proud that I could do that.

Today, I can send off a jpg of the profile, and a company will send me a knife ground much better than I could ever do, in three days, at a cost that is almost less than I would pay for just the steel.

You could not have impressed that future on me at the time, and certainly not on the person who taught me how to grind knives. The list of replaceable skills grows ever longer.

Are humans even necessary anymore? Perhaps when the smart robots want custom furniture, they will regret my demise. Assuming they can't do what I do by themselves.

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that" is coming to a terminal near you.

TonyF

1/12/16       #3: A solution to your employee problem ...
Pat Gilbert

In the past new technology has always created more jobs. As with the industrial revolution and then the computer revolution. The market simply expanded because the price lowered to where more people could afford the product. Who doesn't use CNC these days? this no doubt replaced quite a few workers, OTOH who would want to trade in their CNC? Farmers moved to factory work in early the 20th century.

These guys are saying that that mechanism will not apply to the robotic revolution.

I'm not sure I agree with them. The future is determined by the market place with it's millions of computations every day. All determined by people following their self interest.

This is possible when the market does what it does. The last couple of decades that has been molested creating bubbles and scarcities and preventing the market from determining true values. (think the Big Short)

It wouldn't surprise me if the next thing is nano engineering and bio engineering. I.E. skipping over robotics.

1/12/16       #4: A solution to your employee problem ...
Pat Gilbert

This from this:

https://mises.org/blog/bylund-robots-will-take-many-our-jobs-%E2%80%93-an
d-thats-good

Fear of the changes innovation brings is nothing new, and the reality is that robots will eventually replace us in many or most of today’s jobs and that’s, in fact, a glorious thing.

Yes, jobs will be destroyed by innovation, as they’ve always been, but it doesn’t mean we’ll run out of jobs. New ones will be created as new technologies are developed, engineered and maintained. And, overall, these will be better, more high-skilled jobs. The agriculture industry provides a case in point.

Farming used to employ plenty of manual labor to do very physical work. But today, technological innovation – from basic tractors to complex irrigation systems – has not only eliminated backbreaking tasks but has also created new, more-skilled jobs. In fact, there are so many jobs in agriculture due to the increasing intricacy of the industry that approximately 60,000 positions remain vacant. Much of the work has moved out of the fields and into labs, where microbiologists, meteorologists and veterinarians all play an important role in getting safe foods to tables across the country. And these jobs requiring higher skills also pay higher salaries.

Source of this article

1/12/16       #5: A solution to your employee problem ...
TonyF

Pat Gilbert:

Say what you will about old-school farming, yes it is hard work but it would keep people employed and fed. The problem with the 60,000 vacant jobs is that not everybody who used to farm has the wherewithal to perform the technological tasks associated with the new farming.

This will be true of all professions, as not everybody is a rocket surgeon, and those who are will probably be at the top of their fields already, and be the last to be replaced by the new technologies because they would most likely be the most skilled.

The argument for NAFTA was that all the outsourced manufacturing jobs would be replaced by the advanced technology jobs, except that not everybody that lost a manufacturing job could do an advanced technology job.

What does someone, whose intellectual limits necessitate his doing manual labor, do for a job once the technology has replaced the need for his services?

As the technology advances and the more specialized human labor becomes obsolete, what will all these people do?

Market forces work well for the few, and while there is an abundance of food, there are nonetheless many starving people, because of market forces and the need to make a profit, versus a more humanitarian need to recognize the inequalities involved in the distribution of a surplus of food.

When NAFTA happened, the white collar people liked it, because they saw it as cheaper prices for goods that did not affect their jobs, only the jobs of lower-level blue collar workers, who they deemed disposable.

Now that white collar jobs are affected, it has everyone wondering what they will do when their job is outsourced or automated. They could go back to school, and learn a new field that may be obsolete by the time they are finished with their studies.

As I said earlier, I am glad that I am as old as I am. If I were 35 years old, I would be very concerned.

1/12/16       #6: A solution to your employee problem ...
Larry

The sky isn't falling. While it is true that smarter or higher educated people will do better in most fields, that isn't new. Lots of stupid, uneducated people make good money, selling drugs! New ways of doing more with less labor has been the way of the future for hundreds of years. It has resulted in a higher level of living for most people, even those on welfare. I've noticed that the homeless sitting on the sidewalk are now using their cell phones and Wi-Fi enabled computers sitting near hot spots. More power to them. Some probably were past owners of woodworking shops.

1/12/16       #7: A solution to your employee problem ...
Pat Gilbert

Farms did a poor job of keeping everyone fed, there was no shortage of work though.
IOW the good old days were not that good which is why many farmers elected to work in factories.

NAFTA and it's current relative the TPP are not about free trade consequently the benefits were dubious. What the politicians call "free trade" is about monopoly and nothing else.

New jobs have to be created, not to be confused with more of the old jobs. New jobs, e.g. try and explain today's jobs to someone in the early 1900's. How far would you get?

The point is that are less starving people while there are 7 billion people on the planet. See the graph. That is a result of technology, despite the huge increase in the population. BTW the same goes for world violence.

The jobs will be there. I think people start thinking negatively and become irrational.

I only posted the video in humor. As every one says they cannot find help. So the robots will not taking anyone's job away.

View higher quality, full size image (1276 X 542)

1/12/16       #8: A solution to your employee problem ...
Pat Gilbert

"I've noticed that the homeless sitting on the sidewalk are now using their cell phones and Wi-Fi enabled computers sitting near hot spots. More power to them. Some probably were past owners of woodworking shops. "

Yea I saw you walk buy the other day, but I was busy with my video game.

1/12/16       #9: A solution to your employee problem ...
Pat Gilbert

This seem appropriate.

Some perspective

1/13/16       #10: A solution to your employee problem ...
TonyF

I get that the “Humans Need Not Apply” video was funny, but I found it to be both funny and unnerving, much as I found the movie “Dr. Strangelove” to be both funny and unnerving.

Larry, I have always wanted to get a Depression-era photo of the breadlines and Photoshop a cell phone into everyone’s hand, but I lack the skills. Another one of the modern skill sets that I have not learned, although at one time I might have been able to “strip in” the cell phones in a darkroom, kind of old-school Photoshop.

Pat, I liked Milton Friedman, and think that by and large he was right. But it seems that whenever capitalism goes off the rails (the Great Depression, the Great Recession), it looks to government to set it right again. What would market forces have done if there were no bailouts or corrective policies, and what would this country look like right now?

For those who seem to be in perpetual search of employees, I wonder that if you were able to stand back a little bit, and use a disinterested and honest eye, you might see yourself as part of the problem.

I imagine that most, if not all, of you worked for someone else at one time, and wonder what kind of employee you were. Imagine your own attitudes, priorities, idiosyncrasies, and temperaments at that time. Given that insight, would (insert your name) the employer, even consider hiring (insert your name) the employee, and how well would that work out. You may be expecting others to do what you yourself may not have done in a similar situation.

This seems more like a Business Forum thread.

1/13/16       #11: A solution to your employee problem ...
Pat Gilbert

"But it seems that whenever capitalism goes off the rails (the Great Depression, the Great Recession), it looks to government to set it right again. What would market forces have done if there were no bailouts or corrective policies, and what would this country look like right now? "

You have that backwards. The Great Depression was caused by FDR, despite the trope that says the opposite the facts don't lie.

The Great Recession was caused by excess money being put into the economy by Alan Greenspan.

The businesses would have simply failed as God intended.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello