Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

portable generators for onsite installs

10/30/16       
harold Morantz

Hi Everyone, i posted this question on the cabinet install forum, but only got two responses. We are starting to work for a home builder and he has given us two complete homes of cabinets; kitchen,closets,laundry,bathrooms and cabana. We start installs next week,one house at a time. There is no power there yet and we need to get a generator. Most of install time is levelling and joining cabinets with euro legs and attaching uppers to walls. Power tools are jig saw,holesaw,chop saw, small portable bosch table saw for fillers and ripping toekick and chop saw for same. Otherwise,its mostly cordless driils which run most of the day before needing a charge. Any brand recommendations and size that i should be looking for? power will be needed on and off during the day and one or two crews of two people will be there to install. One crew for bathroom vanities,the other for large kitchen. Thanks, Harold.

10/30/16       #2: portable generators for onsite inst ...
Ken Member

First determine what size you need. A 3500 watt continues generator is the equivalent of 2-120 volt 15amp outlets (120VX15AX2outlets=3600 watts). Plenty to run your portable table saw and a chop saw not to mention all the low power stuff, chargers, jig saw etc. Brands at this level are going to be your Generacs up to your Hondas. Probably $400-$2000. depending on electric start, how load, and other options. Costco/Sam's Club usually have a few choices. Going bigger is fine but more gas, and heavier. So size it accordingly. I have a Generac 3500watt/4500 peak and it's not too big but still need 2 people to lift it into a truck bed. The worst thing we deal with in California is the generator sitting with fuel in the fuel bowl for long periods of time, in Ca. they add alcohol to our gas and it corrodes out aluminum carburetors if it sits because it attracts moisture.

10/30/16       #3: portable generators for onsite inst ...
Duster

Why not rent one? It might be years before you need one again.

10/30/16       #4: portable generators for onsite inst ...
Harold morantz

Thanks Ken, the math was very helpful. I was looking at a small Honda at 2200kv for 1000.00 and didn't think would handle the job. The generac is heavier, but we have a 14" cube van with a ramp and would be able to get to job site easily and it runs about 349.00-689.00 for a 6500 model. Will probably take that route.

10/30/16       #5: portable generators for onsite inst ...
Robert Sherman

Buy a Honda whatever you do. They will last 20x longer than any other brand of portable generator on the market. I speak from experience. I have owned Generac, Porter Cable, DeWalt and half a dozen other brands. Most are not made to last more than a couple hundred hours of use. Out the dozen non Honda units I have owned I never got more than 100 hours out of a third of the units, another third approached 200 hours and the last third kicked the bucket between 250 & 300 hours. I have several Honda's with over 5000 hours on them. Never had a Honda die before 3000 hours. This is one item that there is truly an amazing difference in quality and longevity.

10/30/16       #6: portable generators for onsite inst ...
Ken Member

So Harold, if you look at the specs on the 6500, that is 6500 running watts and starting loads of up to 8125 watts. That's tons of power. I don't know if you're familiar with the twist lock outlet but there's a 120/240 twist lock which is what the new RVs are using. This allows you to run one long 4 wire 10 gauge extension cord that splits into 2 banks of 120 outlets. Both separate from each other. And you could use 240 volt equipment as well if the need arises (think mig welder).

View higher quality, full size image (3264 X 1952)

10/30/16       #7: portable generators for onsite inst ...
Ken Member

I agree with Robert on anything Honda but you have to have the need (amount of usage) to justify the price. The msrp on a Honda 6500 is $2750. My generator sits 95% of the time.

10/31/16       #8: portable generators for onsite inst ...
Derrek

I have a couple of Honda 2000s and a similar sized Yamaha. THe honda by far is a better generator. For what you are doing the 2000 should work. Be careful with cheap hondas, often they are a honda engi e on a crappy generator and noisy as can be. The real Hondas are the qiuetest available

11/1/16       #9: portable generators for onsite inst ...
harold Morantz

Bought the Honda eu2000 on amazon for 1K. Its coming Thursday and we will try it out. Keep you updated. Thanks, Harold.

11/1/16       #10: portable generators for onsite inst ...
Mark B Member

Itd be more expensive up front but if it were me, and I felt like running on genset power was going to be a common/semi-common occurrence with this contractor and others, given your tool load I would buy two small inverter generators like the Honda EU2000 or Generac equivalent.

First off, cordless tool chargers perform horribly on conventional square wave generators so the true sine wave power you will get from an inverted genset will make sure all your tools run at spec. Second, having these gensets means that they automatically idle down to deliver only the power needed. So for instance while your guys are fitting work and the only things running are the cordless chargers, the honda will run basically at idle and be almost silent and consume nothing for fuel. When you pull the trigger on a bigger tool, the genset will ramp up.

Having two of these means that you'd only have to run the second when your running the TS or need all 4000 watts. There is nothing worse than having a large genset whirring away, sucking down .75 gallons of fuel an our to power a light bulb or cordless charger.

If your contractor isnt compensating you with a higher number on your bid for not having his ducks in a row and power on at the job, fuel consumption will be a stinker.

Id be questioning why the GC is unwilling to have a temporary brought in (at his own cost) and deferring power demands onto the subs. Its one thing for a foundation or early framing crew to go without power but once your to the stage of installing cabs to not have power is, well, odd to say the least.

11/10/16       #11: portable generators for onsite inst ...
Harold morantz

We have been using the eu2000 Honda for a week now and it is impressive, small and silent, it will handle chargers, chop saw, Bosch tablecsaw and uses almost no gaz. 42 lbs and very compact. The other trades that have their 6500 heavy monsters all though it was a toy, but they are really impressed. Not for heavy duty construction, but perfect for two machines at a time and a charger and you can have a conversation while standing next to it and barely know it's running, harold.

11/11/16       #12: portable generators for onsite inst ...
Ken Member

Glad it worked out Harold. And just think, you have a nice small, quiet generator to fire up the kids bounce house.

11/11/16       #13: portable generators for onsite inst ...
Harold morantz

Thanks Ken, my kids are 39 and 42, but maybe for my 9 grandchildren😀. Or when my wife sends me to the dog house, I can now have some electricity😉

7/3/18       #15: portable generators for onsite inst ...
harold morantz

WEe have been using the honda for over a year now without a hitch. when you are standiung next to it, you cannot tellit is running and it is light weight.

3/5/20       #16: portable generators for onsite inst ...
James Member

Personally, I’m a fan of inverter generators, because they’re smaller and quieter than gas generators, but, not so long ago I found a Westinghouse 4500 Watts inverter and dual-fuel generator (works on propane and gasoline). Find it quite versatile. Maybe it’s a little bit better than Honda. It's cheaper and has digital display showing watts and a fuel level. You can check this gen as well. This review was quite helpful for me https://pickadvisor.org/best-generator-for-food-trucks/

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello
    Today's Sponsors
    • TradeJobPlacement.com
      Individualized Placement Services, Specializing in Millwork Design Engineers
    • Country Saw & Knife
      Complete Sharpening Services for Wood and Metal Saw Blades, Jointer Knives, and Bandsaw Blades
    • WalzCraft
      Custom Doors and Wood Products
    • TradeSoft
      Seamless Management Software to Improve Estimating, Job Costing, Scheduling, Purchasing, Shipping, and Shop Floor Data Collection
    • Weinig Group-USA
      Wood Moulders and Knife Grinding Equipment
    • GreCon
      Spark Detection and Extinguishment Systems and Quality Assurance Measuring Equipment
    • Vexor Custom Woodworking Tools, Inc.
      Custom and Standard Router Bits, Shaper Cutters, Profile Knives, Multi Profile Insert Tooling and More
    • Shop Gear Inc.
      Distributor of Co-matic Power Feeders, Le-matic Portable Edgebanders, and Supplier of Woodworking Machinery, Tooling and Accessories in North America
    • Cabinetshop Maestro
      Web-Based Project Management Software for Custom Cabinet Shops - Manage Jobs from Prospect to Punchlist Through Scheduling, Task Management, Time Tracking and Communication
    • Vacuum Pressing Systems, Inc.
      Vacuum Pressing Equipment - Including Bag and Frame Systems
    • American National Knife
      Manufacturer of HSS and Carbide Tipped Woodworking Knife Sets for Planers, Jointers, Molders, Shapers
    • Safety Speed Manufacturing
      Economical Vertical Panel Saws, Panel Routers, Edgebanders and Widebelt Sanders
    • OMEC/Macoser Inc
      Exclusive Importer of European Woodworking Machinery Since 1988

Become a Sponsor today!