Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Cnc Dowel inserter

12/8/16       
Jim K

Looking into a cnc dowel inserter. Just wondering how many of you are using the dowel inserter for face frame parts? Either a 4' or 8' machine.

12/9/16       #2: Cnc Dowel inserter ...
Matt Krig

We use one for our frameless case parts, drawers and a few other items. It could work for frames, but it would be a hassle programming part by part for custom sizes. I suppose it could be done for a stock size cabinet and high volume situation, but then you'll need a separate means of clamping them.
Have you looked into the Razorgauge with optimization/defecting, pocket hole boring, labeling and the scribe lines for marking stile and rail placement?
Can you elaborate on why you want to dowel face frames, or a problem you are looking to solve?

12/9/16       #3: Cnc Dowel inserter ...
Jim K

I was looking at the cnc dowel inserter mainly to increase our assembly method and thought maybe we could utilize the machine for frames. The posting of parts is a valid point so I would stay with our pocket screw method. We do one box as oppose to several on face frames so that would probably force me to a 8' machine.
The cnc inserter is being looked at after IWF in August with the fastenlink and lock dowel method for assembly which could work for face frame and frameless assembly. We are a residential shop so AWI doesn't apply to us in terms of the two methods mentioned. Next step is to run some samples with the fasteners before investing in machine.

Thanks for responding.

12/9/16       #4: Cnc Dowel inserter ...
Stuart

I agree with Matt. The programming would be a mess for face frames. I have seen a special interface for this on a Omal or Biesse even there I was not sold on the speed.

You mention the special fasteners, I saw them at IWF and was intrigued and hope to investigate more next year. Many questions left in my mind though. Programming, costs per fastener, additional cnc time required, strength to name a few. What are your thoughts?

12/9/16       #5: Cnc Dowel inserter ...
Bill

We use an Omal with measurement.
We programed the Omal to spread a pattern based on the length of the part it measures. It then uses math and logic we created to decide if an additional dowel is needed at the end of the run or if the standard pattern gets one close enough to the edge.

Our CNC uses the same logic. It is pretty magical. For 98% of the parts, put it against the fence and press the pedal and it bores the correct pattern.

I am sure you could figure out a couple programs to do frames. I am not sure that it is a good idea to do it but it could be done.

12/9/16       #6: Cnc Dowel inserter ...
Jim K

Stuart,

Strength is also my main concern with these fasteners. I ordered a sample kit from fasten link and glued the two parts together. Melamine glue in hole only. Next day it seemed pretty solid. I still see it from the sample as a possible weak point do impact say dropping the cabinet on the job or just installation handling. I need to run a complete cabinet box and go from there. Lock dowel at Atlanta seemed to be a better bite on assembly but full production would require a dedicated borer that would insert the H clip. Don't like that idea at this point not knowing the system. Working with lock dowel now to get me the ucs on 9.0 CV and will try a sample run. I need to get further into the weeds to see if this even a cost effective way for construction method.

Thanks for the response.

12/9/16       #7: Cnc Dowel inserter ...
Bruce H

I think the fastenlink lock dowel could put you on par with Ikea, or something lower, if that was our goal. It is using the integrity of particle board and a key hole slot, maybe faster assembly, not necessarily a better product.

12/9/16       #8: Cnc Dowel inserter ...
Alan F.

We have the pocket screw on our Gannomat, you get repetitive accuracy and parametric placement so we will be listing 3 or 4 castle machines.

We use pocket screws all the time for certain connections.

We also looked at the Omal, that is a nice machine they were demoing with the frame setup.

We basically have the same feature set with the Gannomat and were able to take delivery this year, plus our previous Gannomat is still running and is 16 years old so we have a good history with Tritec.

We also bought inside and out side miter fences for doweling mitered parts.
A-

Gannomat

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello