Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Edgebanding same as box or fronts?

1/23/17       
Chris

I posted this in the wrong forum so here goes in the correct forum:
Got a debate with a friend. We both mainly build prefin maple boxes. He bands in prefin maple banding. I band in whatever the fronts are. Paint grade gets paint grade, stained gets stained. I realize PVC in a like or matched color is an option but neither of us like it. With the PVC option aside, which do you do?

1/23/17       #2: Edgebanding same as box or fronts? ...
Jason Balm  Member

If it's case parts like ends, decks, fixed shelves, drawer stretchers, and partions it always matches the finish of the cabinet. Interior parts, not exposed, get interior matching EB.

We use a matching or complimentary pvc EB. With the small reveals on euro cabs.. Why deal with having to finish that edge?

1/24/17       #3: Edgebanding same as box or fronts? ...
Scott

We match the fronts always on box parts. Shelves match the interior.

1/24/17       #4: Edgebanding same as box or fronts? ...
chris

Thanks. Jason, I used to use Prefin Maple banding for everything behind doors and fronts on frameless cabs (3/32" gaps) until I once noticed if the light hits the gap just right you do see the banding and thats the question....am I being too fussy here? Does anyone really care? Case by case? Is there an industry standard? Does the industry standard not matter as we are talking custom cabinetry? Forget AWI or WIC specs...they are usually not called out in our case. Thanks

1/24/17       #5: Edgebanding same as box or fronts? ...
Pdub Member

We do same as Jason B except we paint to match. I know PVC is easier and arguably more durable. However, I don't do it for the same reason I don't use staples, hot glue or any case parts less than 3/4" thick. They work but people don't see them as "quality" and that's how I set myself apart from the competition.

1/24/17       #6: Edgebanding same as box or fronts? ...
Jason Balm  Member

Pdub, I agree. I also paint and stain edges when warranted. Gotta know your customer when it comes to this.

For me, over time, that list of things I do to stand out and make our product special has dwindled in certain areas. I have found that the majority of our customer base just doesn't care about an item like this. It has taken time for me to accept this reality and realize how much money I cost myself by doing things that basically only matter to me.

1/24/17       #7: Edgebanding same as box or fronts? ...
Pdub Member

I hear you Jason and don't disagree. However, I often tell my guys that the client won't likely notice that particular joint, or this particular detail. However, they will look at the piece as a whole, subconsciously take note of all those small details and (hopefully) conclude that our piece just looks better in overall quality than others who don't pay that close of attention to the small stuff.
As you point out, you definitely need to know your client in each situation. We've made a name for ourselves as being somewhat "higher end", so I'm reluctant to let those things go!

1/25/17       #8: Edgebanding same as box or fronts? ...
JeffD

Back in the days when I was selling kitchens there was one large company that would match the banding to the box interior. I never understood it as I thought it looked ridiculous that the doors and drawer fronts didn't match the fronts of the cabinets and now that I build kitchens I still feel the same way. Most of my cabinetry has some type of face frame involved. But when I do Euro for closets I use matching PVC.....which if I didn't have I would have to go through the hassle of finishing the raw banding.....no thanks!

good luck,
JeffD

2/13/17       #9: Edgebanding same as box or fronts? ...
ted

After many years we've decided to switch the case banding from matching the exterior, to matching the interior. First of all, no one really notices it until you bring it up. Second of all, I prefer the look of a monocolor box. Third, it is so much easier and less complicated. (esp. if you have multiple colors in one project).

There is one caveat - on all finished ends we have a front band that matches the exterior. I realize that this sounds crazy, but this is the one spot that you can see from the front. The difference between the maple front edges and the finished color is not that jarring.

just my two cents, and probably worth less!

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello