Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Shop vac or festool for random orbit

12/2/17       
Mike Fuson

We already have a ceros sander and just got a deros in, and I want to do some good dust extraction. Let’s just say that the method now is less than adequate and leave it at that. I’ve been looking at the Festool CT 26 or wondering whether to go with just a shop vac. Festool is supposed to be quieter but I don’t much care about that part since there’s loud equipment running other places anyway. These will be dedicated to the two sanders only so the start and stop function on the Festool would be really nice, and your going to have to do it manually with a regular Shop vac. My guys are constantly switching between the sander and hand sanding so there are a lot of starts and stops, so it would be a Festool kicking on and off or a shop vac running constantly. Other concerns are the price difference, at least 500 for the Festool vs. about 100 for a shop vac. Even if the festool is better quality would it outlast 5 of the Shop vacs? Another is the bags, I’ve not checked the prices of the Festool bags but evidently they are expensive. So, wondering what you guys use and how happy you are with the system. I’ve bought some Abranet also to try out on this new Deros sander. By the way, this is all going back to the question I asked a few weeks back about swirl marks and most responses I got were cheap paper or poor dust collection. Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

12/2/17       #2: Shop vac or festool for random orbi ...
JM

We have the same sanders, and we use a shop vac plugged into one of those gizmos that start stop the vacuum when the sander runs. Probably get one from woodcraft or Rockler.

Works great.

12/2/17       #3: Shop vac or festool for random orbi ...
Leo G Member

I have a Fein vacuum for mine. Quiet, has the tool sense auto-start and is less expensive than the Festool.

12/2/17       #4: Shop vac or festool for random orbi ...
nicko

i have my ceros hooked up to a dust deputy and most of the dust falls in the bucket and never makes it to the filter. I only have to clean the shop vac filter every once in a great while. Also i heated up a 3/8 drill bit on the end that goes in the drill and pushed it in the holes on the ceros that line up with the mirka paper to enlarge the holes. It seemed to help with dust collection.
I have the shop vac and dust deputy attached to a ply wood base on wheels so i can move it around. I also built a boom out of square tube aluminum that sicks up from the base and attached my cord and vac hose to the boom so my hose and cord come from over head.
Mirka makes such a boom for this but is expensive so i built my own.

nicko

12/2/17       #5: Shop vac or festool for random orbi ...
Matt Calnen

Nicks, would you mind posting a picture or your vacuum rig? Thanks

12/2/17       #6: Shop vac or festool for random orbi ...
nicko

here it is. I have a car rotor attached to the bottom of the base to keep it from being top heavy. The white piece at the end is a piece of 2" pvc pipe that lets me push hose in or out if i want to shorten the hose. I have it plugged into a switch that is mounted to the boom that turns the vac on when the sander comes on. Also the boom is slipped over a steel rod that allows the boom to swivel on the base.

nicko

View higher quality, full size image (480 X 640)

12/3/17       #7: Shop vac or festool for random orbi ...
Mike Fuson

Thanks for the responses. JM I didn’t know they made a separate switch, I’ve found two, the smaller one has pretty good reviews and the larger don’t, which one of these do you have? Or is it a different one...

View higher quality, full size image (1508 X 1343)

View higher quality, full size image (1528 X 1636)

12/3/17       #8: Shop vac or festool for random orbi ...
Leo G Member

I have 2 of the iSockets. They work well.

12/3/17       #9: Shop vac or festool for random orbi ...
Mike Fuson

Leo, I also read some reviews on the Fein turbo 1 and everyone says it’s quiet but they also say that the hose is the wrong size for almost all tools, did you have to configure a new hose?

12/3/17       #10: Shop vac or festool for random orbi ...
Leo G Member

Pretty Sure I have the Turbo II and the hose end is 1 1/4". It doesn't fit the Ceros, but I also have a 10' section of 1" Porter Cable vac hose connected which fits perfectly. The hose length I have on the setup is pretty long along with the fact that I bought the longer DC extension cord for the Ceros. I can reach most of the shop with the sander while keeping the sander/vacuum setup central to my shop.

You can see the transformer under the top of the sander cart, along with the vacuum. I can wrap the cord and hose onto the cart and move it anywhere I want because I put wheels on it. Worked out pretty well. The only thing I never put on there was a specific holder for the sander itself.

View larger image

12/3/17       #11: Shop vac or festool for random orbi ...
Mike Fuson

I appreciate all the responses and info. Leo I like your set up and Nicko I like the overhead part of yours. Don’t think I’ll do the cyclone since I’m just using it for Sanders I I don’t plan on using a bag, I’ll just keep an eye on how full they get I guess. I was wondering what size hose it took to fit the sander, thanks Leo.

12/4/17       #12: Shop vac or festool for random orbi ...
JM

I have the bigger one. I am on about my 3rd one in about 5 or 6 years.

12/4/17       #13: Shop vac or festool for random orbi ...
Joe W Member

Except for the cost, the Festool is very good.

I really like and need the air flow adjustment on the festool. Depending on the grit and paper type, sometimes the suction is just too much and seems to slow the sander down. Cause more problems.

I believe they have a reusable filter bag, but I have never tried it to see how well it works.

12/17/17       #14: Shop vac or festool for random orbi ...
kenny

The dust deputy cyclone is really a great addition if you do very much sanding.

I build cabinet doors and regularly sand for several hours at a time. I used to have a shop vac hooked up directly to my sander. This worked great, but the filter would clog after a few hours and dust pickup would suffer.

After I started using the little cyclone, this was no longer an issue. I can sand all day and see virtually no dust in the shop vac, with just a little bit in the filter. I was shocked at how well it worked.

I also have the DGC I socket switch and it has worked good so far. Also my vac is a craftsman that was given to me about 8 years ago. It has countless hours on it and still works great. I would not personally spend the money on a festool unless you really need the compact footprint or quieter motor.

12/17/17       #15: Shop vac or festool for random orbi ...
Mike Fuson

Thanks for the info Kenny,
I hadn’t thought about a separator but it makes perfect sense. I built one for an old dust collector that I used to have so I may make one. Curious to how you know when your bucket is getting full? It would be nice to have some sort of see through plexiglass panel on the bucket?

12/17/17       #16: Shop vac or festool for random orbi ...
kenny

Well I actually just bought the cyclone part and made my own collection bin, which is just a box made out of 1/2" plywood scraps.
I mounted the cyclone to the lid. It takes a while to fill up with just sanding dust from the random orbital so I just check it once in a while.

I like your viewing window idea-that would be easy to incorporate with some plexiglass to my collection bin. I may have to steal that one!

12/27/17       #17: Shop vac or festool for random orbi ...
Mike Fuson

I’ve got the I-sockets in and it works perfectly with the Deros sander but not with the Ceros. When the trigger is pushed the vac comes on for 7seconds and kicks off and the sander still runs. If you let go of the trigger for a few seconds and push it again then it will turn the vac on for 7 seconds again. If you push the trigger immediately after the vac kicks off it won’t come back on. It’s like the trigger is kicking it on and then off simultaneously since the switch is designed to make the vac run for seven seconds after the tool is turned off. The sander is probably 3-4 years old I guess, I’m wondering if the unit needs blown out? You guys that are using the Ceros on one of these switches have any thoughts?

12/28/17       #18: Shop vac or festool for random orbi ...
nicko

I use my ceros on a switch that i bought at sears. The vac will not come on when i run the sander at the slowest speed. I almost never run it on the slowest speed so it isn't really a problem. Otherwise it works fine. The vac kicks on when i turn the sander on and runs for a few seconds after the sander is off.

nicko

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello