Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Shaper opinions

5/5/18       
MarcP

I am looking to replace a 5hp Powermatic PM2700 that I have never been happy with since the day I first pushed the power button. It’s leaving a rippled finish on everything that is going through the machine lately. I was, and still am considering replacing it with a 5hp Baileigh Industrial sliding table/tilting spindle shaper, the price is what I like most about it.

Because I am limited to single phase power there is not much to choose from buying used so I would most likely be buying new, and since I don’t want to make another mistake with a low quality machine, I am also considering upgrading to a few other machines.

Looking at Laguna S45T 5hp
MiniMax TW 45C 4.8hp
Or a Felder F700Z 4hp

I can’t find much information on any of these shapers listed, but especially the Laguna. The only thing I do know about is that it is made in Italy.

Most of the work I do on my shaper is cabinet doors. I also do some custom molding work with a steel corrugated head and custom knives. I feel this head beats the hell out of the bearings on the Powermatic, especially when I have large knives installed in the head. Also, the Powermatic only goes down to 7500 rpms, I’d like to run this head a bit slower. I also do some final dimensioning of square stock for face frames,and beveling. I don’t ever see myself using tooling designed for cutting large tennons.

The reason I am leaning towards the sliding table versions of the European machines is because I have noticed that they don’t provide a miter bar slot. Sometimes it nice to just grab the miter gauge when you want to make a full cut and a narrow board instead of making a sled.

All opinions welcome, thanks!

https://www.felder-group.com/fg-en/products/spindle-moulders/tilting-sp
indle-moulder-f-700-z.html

https://www.elitemetaltools.com/tool-shop/products/
laguna-tools-s45t-shaper-mshaps45t-5-0167?sku=MSHAPS45T-5-0167#

https://www.sc
mgroup.com/en_US/scmwood/products/joinery-machines.c884/spindle-moulders-shapers.
898/minimax-tw-45c.764

https://www.baileigh.com/heavy-duty-shaper-ss-3528-st

5/6/18       #2: Shaper opinions ...
duster

I have a Felder F700Z that I bought used about 10 years ago. It has a 5 hp, 3 phase motor. The sliding table with the crosscut fence, tenoning table, and cam clamp all work very smoothly with no slop. We use it mainly for tenoning cabinet door rails and thicker frames up to 1.75 thick. It has 2 dust collection ports that work well. Overall, I'd say it has been a solid performer for us.

The only negative thing I'd say about it is some of the plastic parts, like the ratcheting handles on the fence clamps have been less than durable. But, I would say the same thing about some of my other european machinery.

5/6/18       #3: Shaper opinions ...
rich c.

Have you looked here?
I've not seen any Baileigh machinery in person, but most of their product looks like Grizzly with a different color paint.

WOODWEB's Machinery Exchange

5/6/18       #4: Shaper opinions ...
David R Sochar Member

Italian, with a 3 phase generator, will get you running very well. Don't think you can’t have 3 phase power. It is easy.

I had a P-matic, and the sliding dovetails the spindle moved in were always wearing and going loose. Just a bad design.

The real Italian (not Laguna) have a cylindrical cartridge that holds the spindle rigid. And this cartridge mounts to the bottom of the heavy cast table. Weight is your ally with shapers. Weight in the right places. Scmi, EMA, Casadei are all good machines. You can find them used or at auction.

You will really appreciate the mass when you are raising panels. Add a power feeder (keep your fingers, and save your back) and a good digital readout, and you will find life easy and enjoyable.

5/6/18       #5: Shaper opinions ...
kevin basto Member

MARTIN.....

5/7/18       #6: Shaper opinions ...
MarcP

Well, I’ve got a call into Felder and a dealer for MiniMax. I’ll wait and see what they come up with.

5/7/18       #7: Shaper opinions ...
Gary

I have a Felder and it is a very good shaper.

5/8/18       #8: Shaper opinions ...
Troy Beverly

I also am in the market for a much needed new or used shaper. I had my machine rep pushing a new SCM Nova tf 110
I am not the most knowledgable on fine details of different machines but wondering what everyone thinks of this machine? It has aluminum fences which I am worried about.
Can anyone reccomend a GREAT 9 - 10 hp
shaper with QUALITY bones and cast precision adjustable infeed and outfeed fences? Or am I just being paranoid and the SCM with aluminum fences will be fine.

5/8/18       #9: Shaper opinions ...
David R Sochar Member

As Mr Basto said - Martin. They are the finest. No compromises.

Panhans, if you can find one in the US, are also good.

Not sure what you are making, but the aluminum fences should not be a problem. I usually add a wood face or replace the fences with well machined wood, and let the cutters take out a bit of the fence for a supported cut. Easy to replace.

In the 1970's, I worked everyday with a Tegle and Sonner - a Norwegian machine with cast iron fences on huge rails. Super heavy machine, with a flywheel. Took about 5 minutes to wind down when shut off. Once, the kip handle on the infeed fence came lose and it went into a cutter. The pitch of the machine never even changed as it chewed its way very smoothly into that cast iron.

5/8/18       #10: Shaper opinions ...
Kevin Basto Member

David,

I love hearing those types of stories, from the past. And I trust that coming from you it is not an exaggeration, great stuff!!

5/8/18       #11: Shaper opinions ...
door shop guy

OP whats your budget and are you only wanting one shaper?

Whats the issue with the PM2700 other than it needs a new quill assembly which is about $300?

5/8/18       #12: Shaper opinions ...
MarcP

I think I have narrowed down my choices between a Felder F700z and a MiniMax TW55. Both are coming in around $9000. I’m leaning towards the MiniMax.

doorshopguy, I will only be using one shaper. I will end up selling the Powermatic and a Delta 3hp machine.

I feel that the Powermatic would probably be more reliable, regarding bearing life, if I used a 3/4 spindle in the machine exclusively. I use all larger 1 1/4” bore cutters, some steel rabbeting cutters, and a heavy steel Schmidt insert head for some custom moldings. These larger diameter cutters, think of a longer lever, exert more force through the spindle and into the bearings. The bearings just can’t hold up to the forces, especially with the Schmidt head installed with deep cutting inserts. It won’t be long before the bearings start wearing again and the shaper starts producing a rippled finish in my pieces again.

I put a dial indicator on the spindle yesterday to see what it’s doing. Just spinning the spindle by hand there is only .001 of runout, but when I push and pull on the spindle with moderate pressure I’m moving the spindle .008-.010. Every time the cutting knife hits the wood, the spindle is actually bouncing off the wood causing a rippled finish.

Also the 2 speeds is a problem, the machine runs too fast with that Schmidt head with big cutters in there. The slowest it will go is 7500rpm. It sounds like the machine will take flight! I don’t feel it is safe, but at least I can hide behind the power feeder.

5/8/18       #13: Shaper opinions ...
door shop guy

I have one of the large shaper heads used to run Williams and Hussey knives...i think its 5" tall. Bought that long ago before i bought the Williams and Hussey molder. That head got me by on a custom base molding run but it is less than ideal to run moldings that way on a shaper. If you do any custom molding runs, a small molder machine like the W&H makes the job easy.

If you are going to be using only one shaper for all your operations i would recommend an Aigner top of the line fence.
I have a large Casadei italian shaper and the fence it came with is rather crude as far as adjutments go but i keep it setup only for raised panels so its ok for me.
Only reason i ever need that head again is if i had to run it on a tilting spindle shaper.

The quill replacement on the PM2700 is super easy and you will get more money for the machine if its in good running condition.

5/9/18       #14: Shaper opinions ...
John B Member

My suggestion would be to get a phase converter first. I spent right around $3,000 for a 30 HP unit that will easily run my 37" wide belt, 24" planer, and any other 3 phase equipment I'm likely to buy. Now you can shop the heavy duty shapers that are available on the used market. I bought 2 Invicta units w/ power feeders that are in very decent shape, very heavy duty, and my total expenditure including the phase converter is still under that $9,000 number, plus I have much more flexibility in upgrading the rest of my equipment. Now, if that used Martin comes along at an auction, you can bid on it ( but I might too).

5/9/18       #15: Shaper opinions ...
MarcP

I will be fixing the Powermatic, I already have the bearings. I’ve changed them enough times already so I’m pretty good at it. I just press them off the spindle and press new ones on. No need to replace the whole quill assembly.

5/9/18       #16: Shaper opinions ...
MarcP

I also have a W&H molder too, but sometimes the shaper is the better machine to use for various reasons.

All good points John, I cannot argue with any of them. I’m pretty happy with most of the machinery in my shop. I just don’t see myself utilizing most of these really big industrial 3 phase machines. I just need something better and more reliable than my Powermatic.

5/11/18       #17: Shaper opinions ...
Scott

I would buy an SCM in a heart beat, you may have issues as most are 3 phase, however they are fantastic machines. Martin is way over priced unless you can find a good used one for a reasonable price.
I guess it depends on how much you use it, but I would stay away from all the off shore stuff like powermatic, delta, king, etc.
W &H moulders are designed for running some curved mouldings or a few pieces of a moulding, but for any amount of mouldings you will be there until the cows come home.
I just seen a couple used MiniMax shapers for asking price of about $2500 Canadian each, I think they were T 50’s. I will check it out.

5/15/18       #18: Shaper opinions ...
Karl E Brogger

Personally, I'd look for something used. $9k will get you a lot in the secondary market. Big and heavy is what you want in a shaper. Modern powermatic is hobbyist grade.

SCM class shapers are decent.
SAC is an excellent value, just don't expect anything electrical to work well.
Griggio stuff is good.
Obviously Martin, but add already stated, expensive.
I don't have experience with Casadei, but it looks similar in quality to SCM.

Cantek is a good value too.

I'm not overly impressed with Felder, for the price point I feel the machines should be more substantial than they are.

Get three phase.

5/16/18       #19: Shaper opinions ...
JeffD

I agree with much of what's been said already. If you can find a used Martin, they do come up from time to time, and IMO it's the best bang for the buck no question. I've owned 2 older Martin T-21 machines and also own about the same vintage SCM T-160, (their top of the line shaper at that time), the SCM is a great machine, but it's not a Martin, and there's nothing in a brochure that could tell you why. It's one of those things you just learn by using them.

I'm sure some of the other high end European machines would be great as well, I just would have a hard time spending $9k on what I'd consider essentially new entry level commercial machines. I think when I had all 3 of my shapers, (2 Martins and the SCM), I had less than $9k into the lot. They all required some work to get going, but are essentially good for many years to come now.

A good used Martin w/ 7.5 hp or SCM with 8hp could be run off an inexpensive VFD and still have plenty of power to run most stuff without noticing any power drop. Don't mean to badger you about it, but when the consensus from many advises for something..... it's generally good to at least think it through thoroughly:>)

good luck,
JeffD

5/16/18       #20: Shaper opinions ...
MarcP

First off, I really do appreciate everybody who took the time to offer their guidance and opinions.

I ended up ordering a FELDER F700Z today. I think it will fill my needs just right.

I am a 1.5 man shop, myself and a helper. I’m the only one setting up and running the shaper. Like I said at the beginning of the thread, my primary use is for making cabinet doors, my kitchens typically only have 20-40 doors. For these types of jobs I’ll also run various moldings, or use the machine to bring my face frame material to final widths. Occasionally I will also use it for pattern work. I’m constantly changing setups.

If I had a used machinery broker anywhere near me I would have considered taking a drive to see what they had. Even searching Craigslist within 200 miles of me did not reveal anything worth looking at. I just wasn’t comfortable buying a used machine like this without at least looking at it and seeing it run.

But anyway, all of this leads me to one last question. I honestly don’t know what types of operations require 7.5-10hp? Large tennon cutting for passage doors? Maybe running two raised panel cutters to raise both sides of a raised panel on a passage door? Very high feed rates for running large volumes of materials? I’m currently running a 5hp single phase machine and I don’t feel like I’ve ever needed more power.

5/16/18       #21: Shaper opinions ...
door shop guy

So i guess you cant add an outboard fence to the sliding table? I know everyones different but i can not see using that shaper for every door process plus everything else you want to do. Is your shop so small that you only can have one shaper? I dont see how your setup times wont kill you with that machine. Im a one man shop and have 6 shapers but if i could only have one it would be the absolute top Martin with no having to fuss around.

5/17/18       #22: Shaper opinions ...
MarcP

I saw a video on YouTube of a guy with a Felder who made one for his machine and will be doing the same with mine. It is similar to what I use now.

Doorshopguy, I'm not trying to be a wise ass, but do you really think 5 minutes for a tooling change is a time killer? I've always only run one shaper in my shop. Maybe not the most efficient , but it's what I've got to work with.

5/17/18       #23: Shaper opinions ...
Gart

I installed a dial gauge, that I bought from Felder, in the elevation wheel of my Felder. It helps with repeat setups.

5/17/18       #24: Shaper opinions ...
MarcP

I opted go with a “power drive” to raise and lower the spindle. It’s “supposed” to be accurate to .003 inches. I’m thinking this will also help make tooling changes even faster.

5/17/18       #25: Shaper opinions ...
Mark Member

It will

5/31/18       #26: Shaper opinions ...
Larry

There were a lot of good responses. David is right on as usual. Shapers seem to be mis-understood machines. Over the years I've had many. The first ones were Delta and a new PM26, pure junk. Sorry PM guys. Heavy quill assemblies with big bearings make all the difference. My shapers all have 5 or 7.5 hp 3 phase motors, 1 1/4" spindles. Run so smooth you can balance a nickel on edge while taking a heavy cut. 4 have power feeds, worth every penny! I've never had a Martin but seem to be really nicely designed. All of the 5 shapers, 6 if you count the Stegherr that runs curved casing, were bought used. 3 are set up for one operation. My favorite is a Gomad with readouts for elevation and tilt. Weighs a bit over 2000#. 3 phase motors are very simple and last a long time. I've got a molder so I run the same heads on the shapers when needed. Production tooling is insert carbide. Records are kept of repeated items and a digital ht. gage used to set tooling and drop in spacers to set fences. Yes, that's old fashioned, but quick and simple. No test parts wasted.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello