Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

End grain bar top

9/17/19       
Thomas

This is bothering me quite a bit. In the August issuer of Kitchen and Bath Design magazine on pages 24 and 26 they show a bar top made from fir end grain pieces. This top has a perimeter of solid wood looking to be approx 3/4 to 1 inch in thickness. Everything I know, (limited I am sure) makes me cringe just looking at it. Seems to me that this would self destruct in short order. How is a perimeter of long grain going to hold a bar top of end grain from moving? There is no way in my "limited understanding" that I would attempt this. It goes against everything I have learned about grain movement. Is this possible or am I missing something?

9/17/19       #2: End grain bar top ...
Leo G Member

Is it a true end grain or just a very thin slice. That would make it feasible.

9/17/19       #3: End grain bar top ...
rich c.

There are countless woodworkers that think the laws of wood movement somehow don't apply to them. Also wouldn't be surprised if the end grain blocks were glued to plywood.

9/18/19       #4: End grain bar top ...
David R Sochar Member

Thomas - Your professional eye deceived you. It added the third dimension and let you believe the blocks are 3 dimensional, when they are just thin slices of end grain.

Veneering does more than just extend coverage of rare or unusual species. It also allows - demands - construction methods that just are not possible with solid wood.

9/19/19       #5: End grain bar top ...
Thomas

David, that is what I thought at first. The article states that it, "is constructed from individual fir end-grain pieces...which were sanded down to one level and finished on site," These statements caused me to assume they were thicker than a veneer. I can't see someone stating that he had to sand a veneer down to one level on site. It sounds like a statement that one made because it took a copious amount of sanding. I guess we will never know.

9/19/19       #6: End grain bar top ...
TonyF

Thomas:

The text of the article mentions Kaswell fir, which unless this is a new sub-specie of Pseudotsuga menziesii, probably refers to the flooring manufacturer.

Interesting looking product, although I have no idea how well it holds up in the long haul. Judging from the number of installations featured on their website, it appears that they have this process dialed in.

TonyF

Kaswell flooring

9/19/19       #7: End grain bar top ...
Larry Schweitzer Member

I read their web site. It is obvious that the blocks will move with changes in moisture. They recommend a gap be left at walls and covered with trim. The blocks are to be set in mastic so they will have some ability to move.
Conclusion: gluing a cross grain edge on is a bad idea.

9/19/19       #8: End grain bar top ...
TonyF

Larry:

I agree, gluing a cross grain edge strip is a bad practice. If you look at the Kaswell gallery, there are nonetheless an number of applications for tables and bars where this has been done.

I wonder if these photos are taken immediately after installation, and would be curious what these projects look like a year down the road.

It is interesting that some of the manufacturer's photo gallery images seem to be in direct conflict with their installation data sheet. I wonder if those images are where the idea for the project in question came from.

TonyF

9/20/19       #9: End grain bar top ...
Alan F.

We bough a large two piece island top from a major manufacturer, it went completely haywire

Click the link below to download the file included with this post.

DSCF4068.pdf

9/20/19       #10: End grain bar top ...
David R Sochar Member

Nearly every woodworker has been seduced into thinking they could get away with ignoring wood movement. Or, they may be so green they know nothing about it, and build anyway. Some have even photographed the work, brochured it, put it on the website, and started selling. Only after a few weeks or months did the calls come in with the problems. Consequently, nearly every woodworker has encountered disappointment.

It is hard to make the transition from floor, viewed at 5-6' distance, to bar top that is seen at about 3-5", depending upon your style (or lack of it). Floors need and have gaps. Bar tops, table tops cannot tolerate gaps without callbacks.

9/20/19       #11: End grain bar top ...
Larry Schweitzer Member

Alan, It looks like there was a very poor joint that had been filled. When the movement occurred it failed at that joint.
There are still people that think they can get away with it. It may not happen soon or even ever if there is good moisture control at that location. I'm not into risking it. The flooring company made it very clear they expected movement. A fresh coat of oil over the dirt that has filled the cracks and it is good as new.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello