Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves

2/22/20       
Stewart Member

I have a bunch of "corner cabinet" shelves to band with the banded edge being on the 45 degree angle (not bevel). I'm using 1mm pvc banding. I can run these through my bander just fine but have to turn off the end trimmers. Has anyone found a quick way to trim the tabs off without having to do a carve job using a utility knife? It takes way too long doing it this way. I've searched for a while but can't seem to find a good solution. Any ideas appreciated!

2/22/20       #2: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
MarkB Member

We trim them with a pair of fast cap flush cutters.

2/22/20       #3: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
Keith Newton

Have you tried a Virutex edge trimmer?

https://www.amazon.com/Virutex-M8847-AU-93-Edgeband-Trimmer/dp/B005HPWLUA

2/22/20       #4: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
Karl E Brogger  Member

Jointer set at zero would work well if you have a lot to do.

2/22/20       #5: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
Alan F.

We make a rectangle shelf, edge it, them cut the angles on the ends.

Click the link below to download the file included with this post.

angled_upper.pdf

2/22/20       #6: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
MarkB Member

I thought he said end trimmers not edge trimmers. Assumed was banding 45 corner shelves, one face (on the door edge) but the end trimmers can trim the banding to the angled face.

I run those through the bander with end trim off and you are left with a tail each end, edge trim runs as normal, and just clip the tails off by hand with the flush cut banding cutters.

2/22/20       #7: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
MarkB Member

https://www.fastcap.com/product/flush-cut-trimmers

Fastcap Flush-Cut Trimmers

2/22/20       #8: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
MarkB Member

Alan,
Wow, that would seam like a lot of material getting lopped off for a short stretch of banding on the front. When I run these they nest pretty nice with the corner knocked off and fit tight on the sheet.

2/22/20       #9: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
Pat Gilbert

Another option would be an over shoot board and a the table saw or slider and a miter setup

2/22/20       #10: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
Alan F.

Our guys prefer not doing the handwork and they suggested it as faster, its less than $5 for three melamine parts (top, bottom shelf) in material for a part that goes on the CNC after cutting anyway.

We can't change the edgebander / and exception process 3 parts for hand trim for less than $5

The actual waste would depend on how many sheets are consumed one method vs the other. If the job consumes the same number of sheets either way there is no material cost difference to us. We charge full sheets to a job.

For a NEST it may make a lot more sense as parts are getting edged after cutting but we cut on a saw and then edge and then CNC.

A-

2/23/20       #11: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
Stewart Member

Wow! Thanks for all the ideas. I think I will try to go down the path of flush cut pliers. Fastcap says their flush cut pliers won't handle 1mm thickness so will have to find something similar elsewhere. I'm trying to not handle the shelves two and three times over - they are large and more handling usually means more opportunity for damage. I could keep pliers at the end of the bander and remove the end tabs right there as soon as they exit the machine. Now, to find some that will handle 1mm thickness...

2/23/20       #12: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
MarkB Member

For 15 bucks I'd order a pair and try them. We cut banding with them all the time. On 1mm it may give you a popeye arm and they may not last long but other than taking the parts to the saw it'd be worth a try. Or buy a cheap chop saw and set it at the end of the bander and chop the tails off with that.

Little shop made jig and a multi tool?

I'd bet you'd get a bunch of cuts with the flush cuts before they are dull or sprung.

2/23/20       #13: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
MarkB Member

https://www.festoolproducts.com/festool-499896-edge-banding-trimmer-for-conturo.ht
ml?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiA4sjyBRC5ARIsAEHsELHDfPk5u93RkJu3l
Z6pN3LMbQwlp5t3a5v4EnyPnxTIH5luDihTMuYaAvH8EALw_wcB

Festool Link

2/23/20       #14: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
cabinetmaker

We turn the end trimmers off on the bander and run all the parts like that first and get them trimmed while another operates the bander with the linear parts.

Not going to risk time lost on a miscut part on the saw or remakes

2/24/20       #15: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
Derrek

The Fastcap flush trimmer will handle 1mm no problem.
I have the Festool trimmer and it works real good, although I have only used on 90s and not 45s

2/24/20       #16: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
Bryan Member

we specialize in closets, so we do a lot of 14" deep verticals with the top 45deg chamfered to 12" deep. Banded on all 3 edges with 1mm tape. Those fast cap flush cutters work, require a strong grip. We started using the fast cap flush end nippers which require less effort. The virutex RC321S end trimmer does not work on 45's. I am very curious if that festool trimmer will work on 45's.

2/24/20       #17: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
MarkB Member

I dont own one but it registers against any flat or radius face. There would be no reason you couldnt register it against the face perpendicular to the wall and trim the 45. Perhaps Derrek can look at his and see or do a test/video.

2/24/20       #18: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
Derrek

Just ran a test on festoon end trimmer. It kinda works. See video to see what I am talking about. Not sure if festool makes an angle blocks for this type of cutting

https://youtu.be/1-_S57dD68k

Video

2/24/20       #19: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
Stewart Member

I have a Festool trimmer as well and, as Derrek already posted, it doesn't work very well for this. It does pull up the end of the banding which is a problem. The Festool trimmer only works up to 90 degrees. Anything beyond that is a no go unless there is some other attachment I am not aware of. Bryan, you mentioned the fastcap end nippers. Do you like those better than the flush cutters? Can you cut a full 13/16" banding in one cut or do you have to "nibble"? Is it easy to keep them flat?

2/24/20       #20: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
Ex-Pat Member

I always used a flush plane. Hold the blade flat on the angle, a quick twist of the wrist and you're through.

2/24/20       #21: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
Bryan Member

Thank you for that video Derreck! I see what you mean by pulling the tape away. It takes more than one bite with the nippers, but it is easy to make sure you are lined up well. I keep meaning to try a common pair of channel lock nippers which are wider. I will also try the block plane.

2/24/20       #22: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
MarkB Member

The problem with most standard side cutters is the cutting edge has a double bevel so they don't trim flush. They will get you close but you'll still have some handwork to get it dead flush if needed.

I've not been able to find any large true flush cutters other than from the jewelry world and those are all very small or oval jaws.

2/26/20       #23: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
Quicktrim

This little puck trim tool works great up to 1 mm

View higher quality, full size image (1546 X 3264)

View higher quality, full size image (1546 X 3264)

View higher quality, full size image (3264 X 1546)

2/27/20       #24: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
Bryan Member

looks like a sturdy little tool

SNX Technologie - L'il Pucker

2/27/20       #25: End Trimming on 45 Degree Shelves ...
Stewart Member

Quicktrim could you post a short video using this on end trims? Very interesting - didn't know this was out there!

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello
    Today's Sponsors
    • Cab Parts
      Pre-manufactured Components for Easy-to-Assemble Cabinet Boxes
    • Parts Cutter CNC
      CNC Cabinetry and Closet Parts
    • WalzCraft
      Custom Doors and Wood Products
    • American Vision Cabinets
      Leading provider of Custom CNC cabinet parts and components and Edge banding services
    • MARTIN Woodworking Machines Corp.
      Quality Woodworking Machinery Engineered and Manufactured in Germany
    • Supergrit Abrasives
      Industrial Quality Abrasives Manufactured by Leading US and Foreign Companies
    • TradeJobPlacement.com
      Individualized Placement Services, Specializing in Millwork Design Engineers
    • WOODWEB, Inc.
      The Information Resource for the Woodworking Industries
    • Shop Gear Inc.
      Distributor of Co-matic Power Feeders, Le-matic Portable Edgebanders, and Supplier of Woodworking Machinery, Tooling and Accessories in North America
    • KCD Software
      Powerful 3D Cabinet/Closet Design Software with Built-In Touchscreen Mode for Mobile Use with Best Production Practices Including Direct to Cut List, Cabinotch and/or CNC Machining
    • American National Knife
      Manufacturer of HSS and Carbide Tipped Woodworking Knife Sets for Planers, Jointers, Molders, Shapers
    • Sandman Products
      Affordable Sanding Tables and Inspection Lighting
    • Wood Doctor's Rx, LLC
      Wood Processing Seminars, Kiln Operators Seminar & Training, and Advanced Drying Evaluation & Training

Become a Sponsor today!