Safety Speed Cut Thermwood Corporation ECabinet Systems

Cabinetmaking

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Total price vs materials ratio?

7/12/20       
Oggie Member

This question is for those of you who most of the time fabricate and install cabinets that you would consider 'standard' for your method of fabrication. For example, vast majority of my cabinets are made the same way, different (non-standard) widths play no role, melamine sheets may be different in color or price, edge-banding too, but none of that influences the speed of fabrication itself.

I'm trying to find some simple formula for producing quick "shoot from the hip" reasonably precise estimates for customers that have no patience.

The only compute-able thing that I could produce on the spot using laptop would be how much sheet material and cabinet hardware I would need to build what they need.

Has anyone yet calculated the average ratio of the TOTAL PRICE for the project (how much you charge customer for everything) vs the PRICE OF JUST MATERIALS you need to build and install the project?

If yes, than what is the quantity scale (numbers of projects) or time scale (for how long period) you used for calculation?
What is your geographical area?

Did it work for you?

Thank you,
O.

7/13/20       #2: Total price vs materials ratio? ...
Jso

You should be able to easily figure out a ballpark figure for a linear foot of upper and lowers. Or a price per box on average, say for uppers and for lowers.
You can figure out different prices for stain and clear finish vs solid colours.

Make a list and you can quickly put together ball park pricing.

I wouldn’t get to worked up with impatient customers, I would tell them to go elsewhere, throwing a quick number together is a good way to get burned.

I also wouldn’t use anyone else’s numbers( I doubt they will give them to you anyways) You will just get yourself in trouble doing this, your costs will be different and you will end up getting burned.

This is not rocket science. Material plus labour plus overhead plus profit divided by how many lineal feet of a type of cabinet and wow, you have your answer.

7/13/20       #3: Total price vs materials ratio? ...
Tom Gafgen

I have found that "shooting from the hip " often results in getting shot in the foot :):(

7/13/20       #4: Total price vs materials ratio? ...
Oggie Member

Jso:

It's easy for me to calculate my ratio, but my business history is short and my product variety is very limited, so my data are probably not much relevant across wider markets. I'm looking to expand my product portfolio a little bit, but I lack real life experience in pricing strategy.

I'm trying to figure out if the total price scales in arithmetic or geometric progression regarding the cost of materials (or none of the above).

Let me clarify using this simple example:
Let's say the total cost for the project is $2,000 and the cost of the sheet materials, edgebandindg and cabinet hardware is $500. (Just some arbitrary numbers for simplicity, not a real-life example.)
So, you could say that the total cost is 4 times the cost of material.

Now, let's say customer wants better quality melamine and better hardware and the price for such material would be $700.

For me, there would be no difference regarding the fabrication or installation itself. Weather it's $25 per sheet white Columbian melamine or $50 per sheet textured Tafisa makes no difference how much time it takes to make it.

Now, do you guys think that the total price usually tends to gravitate toward the (4 x $500) + $200, i.e. just increase the price for the difference in material cost, or more likely toward (4 x $700) ?

I know that the simplest (and most likely the best) answer would be to do just "what works for you", but a lot of things work for me and I would'n like to leave money on the table or be a fool that ruins it for everyone else (including himself in the long run) and not knowing it.

Tom:

Yes, that's true. But sometimes I have to.
That still doesn't mean that will actually be the price I agree upon later, but customers sometimes just need some number to play with, while deciding will they do the remodeling at all and to what extent if they do.
And when I've already spent time driving to meet them and talking to them, then if it doesn't take me much longer to give them that one number to play with, so be it.

7/13/20       #5: Total price vs materials ratio? ...
Scott

I think pricing and estimating has to many variables to be a consistent value.
Every shop has their own value for overhead, are you using a shop that is 25000 sq ft or a shop that is 4000 sq ft? Material costs are often based on volume, you buy 100 sheets per month of a product it will cost you $50 per sheet, you buy 1000 sheets of the same material a month, it may cost you $30 per sheet.

It is my experience that these types of questions are like the recipe for the old Kentucky Fried chicken with 11 herbs and spices. It is a trade secret and most people won’t give you to much information.

Good luck.

7/13/20       #6: Total price vs materials ratio? ...
Alan F. Member

If you want a shoot from the hip number take total annual sales divided by total hours
Look at the project and say that's a 40hour job and multiply it by that rate.

When people ask me for ballpark number I tell them I use 0-9 with commas and decimals. I do give customers a ROM (range of magnitude) for off the hip so 8-10k.

A-

7/13/20       #7: Total price vs materials ratio? ...
Drew Z Member

Oggie,

Another example just like the one you gave but more extreme, both from the past 3 years for me:
An intricate dining table out of solid walnut, material cost $2,000; man hours - 160.
A paint-grade home office wall unit, material cost $2,000; man hours - <40.

I don't know the type of work you do and the types of work you're hoping to expand into, but I suspect I am not alone in having a similar example as laid out above. If this type of scenario does not at all apply to you or your work, then maybe you will be able to find the ratio you're looking for. But I have found scaling material cost to be a losing game. While I could certainly find a line of best fit for all my projects that graphs material vs. total project, using that would give me outrageously high bids on simple cabinetry work and leave me destitute after bidding on more complex projects. The ratio of work between paint grade vs. stain grade cabinetry is not the same as the ratio between labor on the two, as another example.

With more inputs you may be able to find a formula that tells you what you want; if it were me I would be coming up with quick ways to estimate man hours on a project as quickly as you do material and hardware.

When I have taken some time to meet a potential customer and they want a ballpark figure, I deal only in whole weeks which keeps it simple and lets me provide very rough estimates. I can fairly reasonably estimate how many weeks a project will take me. That, plus material, then present them a range of +/- 15% of that number. It has worked well for me, but again requires estimating my labor not scaling my material cost. As has been noted before, if your initial estimate is low, it's hard to end up course-correcting later and keeping the client happy.

Sorry to not give you what you're looking for. Hopefully someone who does a similar type of work is willing to share enough data points that you can find the scaler you're after.

7/13/20       #8: Total price vs materials ratio? ...
Jim Member

I'll bite.
I do basically the same type of cabinets on 90% of my jobs. I work for 3 major architects, they all do contemporary design.
Always high end veneers or high end laminates. Lots of pull outs. Everything soft close or touch to open. I am a one man shop and have access to extra man power if I need help loading or unloading cabinets as I share shop and office space with a door and window company that I used to be part owner of.
I do no applied finishes and I never include pulls or the installation of them since I seldom know what they will be choosing. No glass and no counter tops.
Most times the jobs are so big that they divide the work up between me and another bigger shop that does applied finishes. They know my capabilities and like I said the jobs are so big they usually take 1 to 3 years to complete. As soon as framing is up I am taking measurements and working on drawings. By the time tape and bed is done I usually have all of my boxes and drawers done. I am always one of the first to start installs.
All that said my formula that I have used for the last 30 years or so is to do a material and hardware take off. Rounding up always. Including miscellaneous things like glue, edge banding , contact , etc.
Then depending on several factors like location, number of floors involved, ease of access, tolls , etc. I multiply that total by somewhere between 3 and 4. Not saying it will work for you because we probably do not have the same overhead and my labor cost is pretty much fixed.

7/14/20       #9: Total price vs materials ratio? ...
D Brown

As a mostly one man shop for over 35 years I have divided the price of completed jobs by the footage of cabinetry. After finish and installation. I add a surcharge for material costs 10-15- 20 % or whatever , on larger more complicated jobs I raise the installation at least 5% because multiple trips will be made. It is amazing how close this works on a quick estimate based on materials.

Good luck I hope this helps

7/14/20       #10: Total price vs materials ratio? ...
Adam

It would be incredibly hard to give anything but an order of magnitude pricing unless you primarily build specific ranges consistently. Low, medium, high.
The low would be easy you’ve got the same melamine, cheap drawer slides, etc. High(for you) would be easy to miss on a guesstimate.

I could see offering a $5k, $10k, $15k... I would be very conservative(high).

However, the problem is once you say a number it sticks. They may immediately say you are too expensive. When you come in 25% higher on your actual quote they will say “but you said...” Regardless if you say “don’t hold me to it”.

You would need a ton of your own data to give a decent guess.

I’m not sure where the 1/3 material 2/3rds labor came from. We are always at least 1/4- 3/4. We build pretty nice stuff. That would be prime only. Painting can add another 20%.

7/15/20       #11: Total price vs materials ratio? ...
rich c.

Ball park pricing is incredibly dangerous. If you suggest a lower price than you can make a profit from with an off the cuff estimate, and come back with a hard estimate to the customer that is higher, all they are going to remember is the lower price. Great way to drive them to your competition.

7/15/20       #12: Total price vs materials ratio? ...
Chris

Finished bid price is 7x the material cost plus 15-20% profit
Or
4x the finishing cost
No, not really. I figured that would get a chuckle though
Our usual is 20-30% of total cost to installation

7/15/20       #13: Total price vs materials ratio? ...
mike

in the past i took the sales price and divided by the LF and made adjustments from there for that particular job. As i've accumulated experience and past job folders i will often take a similar past job as a base price and add or subtract based on the new jobs specs. But i admit i need to be careful about that 1st number thrown out. It is the one that is remembered but often i am very close and the client understands the reasons if it goes higher. Still, estimating is my least favorite and time consuming thing to do even after all these years.

7/20/20       #14: Total price vs materials ratio? ...
Bruce H

I shoot from the hip when asked, usually less than a million dollars. I then ask how much dinner will cost? If all they want is a price, they are not my customer.

7/21/20       #15: Total price vs materials ratio? ...
Alan F. Member

I was taught many years ago to use a consultative sales approach, we design and sort the details together. The answer I was told to use was we can design to your budget, what price point do you want to design to?

That gives you the option to work on some details that meet their price point or pass.

This type of sales process works through the project and the budget to come to a close.
A-

8/1/20       #16: Total price vs materials ratio? ...
randy

My quick formula was developed based on a post I read here a few years ago.

I price based on sq ft of cabinet faces. That price is based on materials use, paint grade or stain/varnish solid wood. (paint grade is 25% higher as a rule because of additional labor required) Add to that the # of boxes required & charge $125/box. $75/drawer/pullout. Add for any finished ends or panels. Get's me really close fast for ballpark figuring.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Limtech Industries, Inc. Lamello
    Today's Sponsors
    • Cab Parts
      Pre-manufactured Components for Easy-to-Assemble Cabinet Boxes
    • Limtech Industries, Inc.
      CNC Routers, Machinery for Woodworking, Plastic and Other Non-ferrous Metal Machining Applications
    • Felder USA
      High Quality Woodworking Machines and Tools
    • J&P Machines
      Design and Production of Custom Equipment for the Manufacturing Industry
    • Template Services
      Professional Moulding Design and Template Making Service
    • Better Vacuum Cups, Inc.
      Vacuum Cups for All CNC Routers As Well As Many After Market Parts for Your CNC
    • NEMI
      Products For CNC Machines - Digitizers, Tool Setters, Vacuum Pods, Vacuum Cups, Vacuum Tables, Vacuum Chucks and Software
    • Anver Corporation
      Vacuum System Components - Suction Cups, Vacuum Pumps, Vacuum Lifters & Lifting Systems, and More
    • Laguna Tools
      CNC Routers, CNC Lasers, Bandsaws, Woodworking Machines
    • Rangate
      Woodworking Machinery, Supplies and Knowledge
    • Western Dovetail
      Custom Made Dovetail Drawers
    • Machine Bid
      Online auction site for buying and selling high-quality machinery. We offer a secure, online bidding platform, featuring CNC routers, Edgebanders, Sanders, and much more; new equipment added daily
    • Cabinetshop Maestro
      Web-Based Project Management Software for Custom Cabinet Shops - Manage Jobs from Prospect to Punchlist Through Scheduling, Task Management, Time Tracking and Communication

Become a Sponsor today!