Computer Aided Design

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Should I upgrade to CV8?

7/19/13       
PWW Member

To all CV users
I am currently running 2011 R1 and am doing fine with it. Vero (or whoever they are these days) is running a special for me to upgrade to the newest version 8 and save a decent chunk of $$ because it has been so long since I renewed. It's still going to run me about $1k. I will be adding CNC in the not too distant future and if I stick with CV (as opposed to switching to Mozaik), they'll get that money from me anyway.
So, how do you all like V8? From the forums, it sounds like maybe they are trying to concentrate on fixing the bugs? Is it crashing more frequently? I know there was a problem with wireless Logitech mouses (yep) and I'm loathe to give up the mouse I am so used to.
All opinions are appreciated.

7/19/13       #2: Should I upgrade to CV8? ...
ranliker

From 5.0 I skipped v6 and spent only a small amount of time in v7. I've been running v8 build 133 with very few problems and really like it. I don't remember enough of v7 to tell what additional features v8 has for you. So I'd pin the salesman down for that.

I see Logitech mice are still listed as causing issues, but I'm running two logictech trackballs without problems. For me their aren't many, if any, bugs that cause any hang-ups. There are six of us here, without CNC.

7/19/13       #3: Should I upgrade to CV8? ...
Dave

They have just released build 138 of CV8 -don't think there are many bugs at all left!
CV8 is the best yet-you should definitely upgrade!

7/20/13       #4: Should I upgrade to CV8? ...
Jonah Coleman

Well there are plenty of bugs left, but that's any software. Real question is whether they are bugs that affect you or not.

You're missing the CAM editor, for one thing. I absolutely love it. But yes, V8 is my favorite so far for sure.

Here's the what's new for the versions you've missed:

Assembly Level

Specify and Configure Sliding/Bypass Doors
Create Assembly Sheet 3D Views Per Assembly
Assembly Parameters Added to Assembly Level Views

Assembly Wizard

Specify Custom Line Bore Spacing
Specify that Applied Doors/Applied Ends Sit Outside Object Space
Control Sliding Door Quantity, Overlap, and Stagger
Divider Part Specification
Specify that the Face Frame Sits Outside Object Space

Bid Center

Report Variable
Per Shoe Cubbie Bid Method

CAD

Symbol Selection moved to Sidebar for easy Drag and Drop Placement
Updated CAD Image File Selection for All Supported Image Formats
Remember Last File Path for Inserted CAD Image

Counter Tops

Rough Splash Part Added to Counter Tops Material Schedule

Doors

Specify and Configure Sliding/Bypass Door Hardware
MDF Doormaker Horizontal and Vertical Slats Show Visually
Set Default Door Profile by Door Style
Set Default Door Material by Door Style

Drawings Area

Set Section Percentage for Assembly Sheet End Views

General

Control Frequency of Curve Tessellation Lines
Room Selection Via 3D View
Room Selection Via Reports and Order Entry View
New Room Option Via Reports and Order Entry View
Job and Room Property Available in Reports and Order Entry View
Job, Room, and Assembly Parameters Visible Via Reports View
Pass Parameters and Their Values Via an ORD File
Selected Constraints More Visibly Obvious
Option to Remove Constraints
BidData.mdb Optionally Generated from Transmit to Factory Option

Layers

Display Annotation to Show Drawer Quantity Visually in Plan View
Enable/Disable Tessellation Lines
Accessories Layer to Control Accessory Classed Item Visibility

Layout (Room) Level

Wall Layout via CAD Tools
To Drawing Via Right Click Wall in Elevation Menu
To Live-Drawing Via Right Click Wall in Elevation Menu
Specify End of Wall Clearance
Specify End Wall Clearance

Parts

Define Machining Operations Via New CAM Editor
Edgebanding Follows Edge Miters
Select Added to Right click menu for Edit Splits

Reports

Display Empty Report on Report Center Entry (Speeds Up Initial Report Center Loading)

UCS

Define Line and Arc Route Operations

Assembly Level

Control Left and Right Drawer Side Clearances Individually

Take Part to Part Level From Reports View

Edit Part Properties From Reports View

Assembly Wizard

Combine Nailer Back Dados Into Bottom/Deck

Combine Nailer Back Dados Into Top

Additional Line Bore Rows in Ends/Partitions Based on Width Spacing

Line Bore For Backs

Line Bore For Clipped Backs

Bid Center

Bid Report Cabinet List Report Variable

Bid Report Cabinet List with Prices Report Variable

Option to Estimate Sheets of Material Used with Generic Optimization

CAD

Free Hand Revision Cloud Option

Pre-formatted {dim} Automatic Text Parameter

{value} Automatic Text Parameter

{system.time} Automatic Text Parameter

Show Modular Catalog Options in CAD Tables

Modular Catalog Options in Assembly Level AutoText

Doors

Mirror Door Style Tool in the Door Catalog

General

Create and Output Part Sheets (Similar to Assembly Sheets)

Define Dimension Prefix, Suffix, and/or Alternate Units

Test Constraint Text Parameters

Matrix Pricing Attached to Parts Included in Setup Packages

Overwrite All Options in Setup Package Utility

Use Modified Job/Room Construction to Overwrite Existing or Create New System Methods

Render Mode Selected for All Views Remembered After Exiting

Ability to Define Choice Lists for System Parameters

Delete Confirmation Window at Order Entry

Option to Display Counter Top Depth Dimension Against Wall

Layers

Part Sheet Layer

Layout (Room) Level

Enable/Disable Option to Center Appliances Under Windows

Show/Hide Walls Option to Show/Hide Multiple Walls

Display Door Swing Annotation As Single Lines

Parts

Increase/Decrease Price Matrix Prices by Percentage

Work Plane Selection in CAM Editor Remembered After Exit

Report Center

New Material Summary Report Which Estimates Sheets of Material Used with Generic Optimization

UCS

UCS Selection Screen Remember Column Width Changes

Cursor Focus on Name Field Initially Upon Entering UCS Wizard

Add Section Dividers to Ease UCS Organization

Assembly Level

Place Shoe Sections (Cubbies) in Cabinets
Assembly Wizard

Define Vertical Construction Bore Position for All Construction Boring Types
Option for First Construction Bore Be Fixed Distance on Backs
Define Shoe Sections For Cabinets
Define Back to Back Construction Boring
Finish Button Always Available When Editing a Construction Method Branch
Bid Center

Improved Filter Interface
Bid Report Variables
Accessory List
Accessory Prices
Labor Body All
Labor Body
Summary
CAD

Double Click On Screen Where CAD is Available Takes you Directly Into CAD
Doors

Increase Door Price Matrix Prices by a Nominated Percent
Set a Minimum Door Cost by Material
Drawers

Blind Dadoes
Dado Fit Adjustment
Define Vertical Construction Bore Position for All Construction Boring Types
Drawings View

Title Blocks Can Be "Set As System Defaults"\
Selecting a Different Title Block Will Replace the Current Title Block on the Drawings Page
Print Current Page for Drawing Sheets
General

ORD File Format Include Property Definition Per Custom Cabinet
Part Level Access for Solid Drafter, Solid Standard, and Solid Advanced
Automatic Lighting
Global Illumination Radiosity Rendering
Option to Re-render on Lights, Finish or Texture Change
Selected Path Displayed In Object Tree and Can be Copied to Clipboard
Simplified Style/Equation Definition in Object Tree Parameter Editor
Photovision Render Process Speed Improvements
Job Properties

Combined Door and End Panel Selection onto Doors Tab
Simplified Door Style, Material, and Profile Selection for Doors
Layout (Room) Level

Edit Part Shape from Room Level
Save and Recall 3D Views per Job
Expanded Favorites Bar from 16 to 32 Objects
Create and Edit Basic Ceilings
Create New Finishes in 3D View Colors Area
Improved Room Rename Speed in Job/Room Properties
Plan Right Click Section Option Changed to Activate "Edit In Place"
Scroll Zooming in 3D View Zooms on Cursor Location
Material Catalog

Control Slot Offset for Sliding Door Hardware
Parts

Set Parts to Ignore Grain for the S2M Center in the Part Catalog
Expanded Automatic Part/Operation Dimension Options
Report Center

Improved Filter Interface
UCS

Process Variables In-Line
DNDFLIP Parameter
_EDGnEXT Parameter
_EDGBEXT Parameter
_EDGLEXT Parameter
_EDGREXT Parameter
_EDGTEXT Parameter
_ELEADJ Parameter
_LEADEDGE Parameter

7/21/13       #5: Should I upgrade to CV8? ...
cabinetmaker

Yes, upgrade to CV8, Ultimate. I would lose it if we tried the things we do daily with just advanced or standard.

Anyway, I bought S2M and upgraded to CV8 @ the same time, it was steep learning, but the support is there. Buy some training while you are at it.

cm

7/23/13       #6: Should I upgrade to CV8? ...
PWW Member

OK, I'm likely going to do it. I just read a lot of posts on the forums about crashing. However, it seems a lot of those are due to the Decorative catalog maybe?

7/23/13       #7: Should I upgrade to CV8? ...
Jonah Coleman

Seemingly most people reporting crashing are running Windows XP. Apparently if you turn off the origin indications in each view the crashing goes away. I think they thought they fixed that in a build, but people still report it.

I hardly ever have crashing. Your mileage may vary.l

7/23/13       #8: Should I upgrade to CV8? ...
cabinetmaker

We have some crashing, and we run xp pro. But, it's not very much

7/23/13       #9: Should I upgrade to CV8? ...
Dave

Windows 7 pro
network version
Hardly ever crashes [once a month?]

7/24/13       #10: Should I upgrade to CV8? ...
ranliker

I didn't specifically address crashes in my post above. Very rare for me. Currently I have CV running only on Win7 machines. But until I just recently upgraded my computer, a Dell, year 2006, to Win7, I had it running on WinXP Pro with no issues.

7/29/13       #11: Should I upgrade to CV8? ...
Mike

I work for one of the largest closet companies in the midwest and we use CV 7 and 8 and crash all the time in 8 in Reports if we don't copy the rooms first. We also use Macs. CV is aware of the problem and are suppose to have a fix soon

7/29/13       #12: Should I upgrade to CV8? ...
cabinetmaker

you need to upgrade to cv8 ultimate to get all the bells and whistles. It's worth it

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)