Computer Aided Design

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Inventor vs. Solidworks

4/10/14       
Chad

We are looking at upgrading our 2009 version of Inventor to Inventor 2014. We have not used the program much since we bought it. Due to the learning curve we outsourced our shop drawings.

I have decided to bring the shop drawings to the office so we have more control. We have hired a new estimator with a drafting background in Solidworks.

The new guy of course wants me to purchase a new seat of Solidworks instead of upgrading Inventor - which the pricing is pretty comparable.

I thought Solidworks was used more in metal working than woodworking.

We are an Architectural Millwork shop that builds windows and doors.

- Is Inventor or Solidworks a better program for millwork and why?
- Any other thoughts of which program (Inventor or Solidworks) I should use for shop drawings?

My intention is to use the program to get a approval sign-off from customers, create a cut list for the shop, create changes on the fly when we need to and have it documented.

4/13/14       #2: Inventor vs. Solidworks ...
Hans Mueller

You are right - Solidworks is a mechanical CAD, same as Inventor. For that we use Solidworks with Pascam Woodworks, which is fully integrated in SWX. We build our individual doors with it since years and itīs working fine for us. SWX without Woodworks didnīt work.

From good old Germany
Hans

4/13/14       #3: Inventor vs. Solidworks ...
Richard

HI Chad.

I only have experiencece with Solidworks but from my understanding Inventor and Solidworks are very comparable in terms of features and functionality. As Hans mentioned Solidworks is a mechanical CAD package and a lot of it's features are more than what's required for designing millwork. However you can easily generate custom millwork in Solidworks as well as build libraries of more standard products.

The problem I always had with Solidworks was how to efficiently get the information out of Solidworks and into my CAM system. Pathfinder 3D is a plugin for Solidworks that extracts all your components as layered DXF files that can be imported into your CAM package. For me it is what really makes Solidworks a viable option for millwork.

If you have any more questions about Pathfinder please contact me.

Regards

Richard

4/13/14       #4: Inventor vs. Solidworks ...
Chad

Thanks for both of your responses. The information regarding the add-ons is helpful.

I am concerned a little about your comments about transferring files to your CAM system. We have a Biesse Rover that we use for machining doors parts as well as other parts. Currenty we draw all the parts using BiesseWorks and then run them. We would like to start using whatever drawing program we choose to send information to the machine.

From what I am reading - I need another program to run millwork items in Solidworks because it does not have a CAM package?

Can you explain further why Solid works did not work without PasCam Woodworking? Is PasCam Woodworking available in the US? Does it have good support?

I would like to hear from someone that uses Inventor in a millwork shop as well as any other comments from either Solidworks or Inventor.

4/13/14       #5: Inventor vs. Solidworks ...
Richard

Both Solidworks and Inventor are CAD programs and so either will require additional software in order to generate code for your Biesse.

Pathfinder is a plugin for Solidworks that automates the extraction of DXF files. The DXF files use different layers to indicate what tools should be used. These files can be configured so that your Biesse will automatically generate CNC files when they are imported.

Please take a look at the videos on the website as they do illustrate the process. Let me know if you have other questions.

Richard

Pathfinder

4/16/14       #6: Inventor vs. Solidworks ...
Kenny Belfatto

I know the purpose of Woodweb is to contribute generally useful information and exchange ideas, and to not pitch products, but - Router-CIM works directly from Inventor OR Solidworks models and assemblies and it does full six sided feature recognition and tool path programming including aggregate tooling needed for window, doors, and millwork.

We work closely with Widom associates who offers woodworking tools for Inventor to boost your productivity.

Both Inventor and Solidworks are very good programs and have almost identical features. One advantage I see with Inventor is that you can purchase the design suite that includes a full copy of AutoCAD with it. I never heard anyone say they were not happy having a copy of AutoCAD.

http://www.cim-tech.com

4/20/14       #7: Inventor vs. Solidworks ...
Rufus Cooke

Chad,
I started using SolidWorks in 2001 primarily for the custom staircases that we were building (elliptical, radial, etc), but also found it useful for many other custom millwork applications. To accurately generate a lot of the geometry requires working the parts in the flat and then wrapping them into the required shapes. Naturally, this also enables us to "unfold" the faces for the shop floor's benefit. To do so requires the functions from its "sheet metal" palette of tools. These tools have been incredibly powerful and what (at one time) separated it from Inventor. At this point, I'm sure that Inventor has similar tools, though I have to say that SW robustness and consistency reflects their product's development. I think that by NOT producing a wide array of products so that there is "something for everyone", SW and its users have actually benefited.

4/20/14       #8: Inventor vs. Solidworks ...
Pat Gilbert

One thing to consider is that for cabinets CV or MV are not going to be beat because of global parametrics. For the custom stuff 3d is not going be beat because of flexibility and to detail complex shapes.

But don't get the idea that a modeler is going to do what CV or MV does.

4/20/14       #9: Inventor vs. Solidworks ...
Rufus Cooke  Member

I couldn't agree more with Pat. I'm finding that the architects love the 3D because it makes their presentation easier. The problem is by the time a 3D model in SW or Inventor is completed, most of the engineering for the entire assembly is completed. Too much data gets thrown away at this early stage. What's needed at the concept stage is something fast and not necessarily accurate just for concept. So if the parts are mostly rectilinear, then CV or MV would be m choice too.

4/20/14       #10: Inventor vs. Solidworks ...
Stevew

Before you make the move , many woodworking companies are utilizing Inventor for not only design but design to CAM
Many have switched from other solid modelers including Solidworks to Inventor .

If you are laready utilizing 2d , all of your 2d data is bidirectional

Parts list , bill of material , edgebanding , joinery is available .

In fact it comes with a free 2 1/2 axis Cam program

Check out several of the videos at www.youtube.com/widomtech.

Inventor for the wood trades is easy to learn and quick to be productive

Also the least expensive

Woodworking Videos

4/20/14       #11: Inventor vs. Solidworks ...
Rufus Cooke  Member

I wish that the salespeople would stay out of these discussions.

4/20/14       #12: Inventor vs. Solidworks ...
Stevew

Before you make a descision take a look at what is working for the wood industry with Inventor .....

All size millwork , furnture and cainet companues see dramatic benifit

www.youtube.com/widomtech

also the least expensive , easiest to learn and you can reuse your data from almost all cad products

4/21/14       #13: Inventor vs. Solidworks ...
Chad

I appreciate all your feedback in this thread.

Being a window & door manufacturer always makes me feel like an outsider in these forums - the conversation seems to always go back to making cabinets.

Any thoughts or experience out there of drawing full window and door units using either program?

Is it difficult to build a fully parametric window in Solidworks or Inventor? is it worth it - if it is custom or a one-off?

I have heard both of the programs have configurators but do not know how difficult it is to develop a configurator.

4/21/14       #14: Inventor vs. Solidworks ...
Rufus Cooke  Member

Chad,
generating a library with multiple configurations is no problem (or so the salespeople will have you believe) and in fact, it's not that difficult. However as we all know; the 'devil's in the details'. So while changing dimensions for components is easy, let's say you want to add a lock rail to a french door. Cosmetically, it may be easy, but there's still the joinery to consider (dowels, mortises, tenons, etc) This is where the automated parametric 3D modeling with multiple configurations gets tricky (and I've been using it since 2001). I know it's done and done ALOT in Europe with window, door, conservatory and stair fabricators. It sounds like they tend to favor SW, though I think it's more of a regional thing (we seem to be more Autodesk orientated here in the states). Anyway, to it set up automated libraries properly is a major investment of time, so take your time, visit with some expert users who know the business, tinker with the output to develop a realistic understanding of the software's limitations and make sure that whichever product you use will pay for itself over time.

10/24/19       #15: Inventor vs. Solidworks ...
Hiral Patel  Member

Inventor and SOLIDWORKS are two of the leading CAD modeling platforms utilized in most of the industries today and so, comparing these two is like comparing apples vs. apple.

Both are equally capable to help design engineers to model complex geometries with ease and have their modules or features integrated to extend the design for other departments.

However, I feel that there are certain important features can certainly differentiate these two leading CAD modeling platforms. You can find some of them here:

Comparison: Inventor vs. SolidWorks

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)