Computer Aided Design

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

CAD/CAM software for medium sized commercial millwork shops

3/30/17       
Ryan Delay Member

I'm trying to find a CAD/CAM solution for a medium sized (20 on floor) commercial millwork shop. We are currently drafting in Solidworks and programming the CNC manually with V-Carve. We were looking at Microvellum but from what I've read here it isn't much better for highly customized millwork versus manually drafting and programming. Does anyone have any experience with WoodCAD|CAM? Do these pricey software suites offer any advantage over manually programming highly custom items alongside a more economical cabinet package, like Mozaik?

We enjoy the flexibility designing and drafting in Solidworks gives us, but not having a hard link to the G-Code creation and no automatic material and hardware take-offs slows us down and causes errors.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

3/30/17       #3: CAD/CAM software for medium sized c ...
Lenny Scianna  Member

Hi Ryan,

My advice is to use caution regarding what you read here about Microvellum. Some of the forum posts are very outdated and refer to older versions of the software. In the last year or so, Microvellum has come up with some very new and unique solutions for “highly customized millwork” as you said. The ability to analyze 3D solids (from Solidworks even) is turning out to be a very powerful workflow. Also, next month during the annual Technical conference, MV will be unveiling some amazing new library data developed in response to customer feedback to make things more efficient for our users.

Whatever software you end up deciding on, good luck and happy researching!

3/30/17       #4: CAD/CAM software for medium sized c ...
Peter Saal

Ryan, please take a look at Skooter. We're focused on a simpler way to engineer, using SketchUp as the foundation. If it looks like something you'd want to consider, just drop us a line.

Thanks.

3/31/17       #6: CAD/CAM software for medium sized c ...
Dan

Ryan,

If you are happy with what you are getting from Solidworks to this point, why not build on that. One option is to use a product from Cim-Tech called Solid-Cim. Solid-Cim allows the user, to take a 3d model from SolidWorks, Inventor or AutoCad and generates the file needed for Cam software. In this case the Cam software is Router-Cim.

There are also woodworking options for Solidworks such as Swood and Pathfinder3d. I am aware of these but have not used either one.

It seems to me at least, that it would be easier to build on the products you are using. Rather than bring in a whole new package of software which may or may not fulfill your needs.

3/31/17       #7: CAD/CAM software for medium sized c ...
Ryan Delay Member

Thanks Dan,
We went down that road recently by purchasing CAMworks. We never got satisfactory results from it. Modelling around CAMworks massively increased our draw time. Plus, every sheet to machine still needed to be nested and clicked through and checked. Feature recognition only worked 90% of the time, and we still had to manually generate a drawing for each cutting diagram. In the end, it didn't add anything over manually programming.

We need something with "cabinet intelligence" so maybe these products you linked above would give us that. I will check them out. Thanks!

3/31/17       #8: CAD/CAM software for medium sized c ...
Richard Terry

Ryan,

I would happily give you a demo of Pathfinder 3D so you can see if it works for you.

Regards

Richard

3/31/17       #9: CAD/CAM software for medium sized c ...
Rich  Member

We started using solidworks about 2 years ago and are able to drag solid parts into Alphacam to create CNC programs for all our machines (still need to manualy do some tool paths).

We are considering the Swood product to make design faster, add connecting machining, and enforce standards.

Not convinced yet as to what is best option. Not many good choices out there.

We manufacture Institutional Casework, Therapy and Athletic training equipment -
Panel saw and PTP's no nesting.

3/31/17       #10: CAD/CAM software for medium sized c ...
Dan

Ryan,

Sorry to hear about your experience with the cam software you purchased. I always get the impression from many software providers think woodworking is easy. Woodworking has a lot of quirks that a good software will handle.

A good software should not be a burden, yet enhance what you are doing. The package should allow you to accomplish your tasks in a timely and efficient manor.

I use Solid-Cim in both Inventor and AutoCad (We draw in 3d AutoCad.) The software is pretty good in regard to feature recognition, much better than 90%. There are some part drawings I do have to tweak, because of how we set our Cam software up. As long as the part is drawing the drilling, dados, rabbets and cutouts are recognized when the part drawing is created.

As for the Cam portion, there are plenty Cam solutions out there which will automatically nest and generate g-code.

When getting demos of software, make certain, you see them demo what you are doing. Even using your models to verify the results are what you are looking for.

Lastly, you mentioned "cabinet intelligence", could you be more specific on what you are looking for.

3/31/17       #11: CAD/CAM software for medium sized c ...
Ryan Delay Member

Dan,

All of our existing cabinet models are single, multi-body parts. We began re-modeling everything as separate parts-based assemblies because Camworks choked on those. It was becoming a major undertaking to re-model our library and we found the Camworks workflow slow and clunky compared to cabinet specific software. No small part handling, no edge-banding labeling, and no automated cut-sheets, etc.

By "cabinet intelligence" I mean automated cut-lists and BOMs, the ability to adjust edge-banding and hardware machining for a whole job, and quickly adjust materials and thicknesses without having to edit every cabinet. I tried modeling parts-based assemblies with custom parameters, and external linked equations, and found Solidworks would start to glitch out with larger rooms.

Do you know if Solid-Cim works with multi-body parts?

4/1/17       #12: CAD/CAM software for medium sized c ...
yaakov katz

what is yours budget?

4/1/17       #13: CAD/CAM software for medium sized c ...
Dan

Ryan,

I am not certain how SolidWorks does things. So I cannot speak specifically oon how Solid-Cim works within SolidWorks. It would be best to send an email to Cim-Tech and ask them that question. There is a video on their website of the processing a cabinet from SolidWorks with Solid-Cim.

I can give an idea how it works in Inventor (Which may or may not be similar to Solidworks.) How I do run a fixture thru Inventor, is I create a multi-body part and then convert the multi-part into an assembly. It is at the assembly level that I can use Solid-Cim to create a CSV file for a cut list and output parts for the CAM software.

In my case we also use an add-on to handle things like edgebanding and such, though I know Solid-Cim has a method to handle edgebanding.

The CSV file created is what I use to insert into Excel and create my Cutbill.

4/4/17       #14: CAD/CAM software for medium sized c ...
Gary B.

Ryan,

It's hard to completely address your questions without knowing more information. Many people say their work is unique and custom, but forget that their work has similarities regardless of size, color, finish, etc. Is your work truly unique, or is it many variations of a similar product?

Instead, I'll address what I can with what you've posted so far.

I've been a Microvellum user for over 13 years now. I've seen it change dramatically in that time, but more so within the last 2-3 years than all the time before. It's simply not the same tool it was. For one, the libraries have improved substantially both in function and simplicity. The differences within the program itself is also night and day. With some of the latest tools, even one off custom work is much faster than before. I'd suggest you take a hard look at the latest videos on custom workflow in microvellum before making your decision.

Now, a few points on what you've given us so far:

"I'm trying to find a CAD/CAM solution for a medium sized (20 on floor) commercial millwork shop"

"We enjoy the flexibility designing and drafting in Solidworks gives us, but not having a hard link to the G-Code creation and no automatic material and hardware take-offs slows us down and causes errors."

"By "cabinet intelligence" I mean automated cut-lists and BOMs, the ability to adjust edge-banding and hardware machining for a whole job, and quickly adjust materials and thicknesses without having to edit every cabinet. "

Based on above, the pains you're experiencing revolve around the system that pushes information to the floor.
I've used Solid modeling software similar to SolidWorks that you could build a violin or a car in. It was amazing, but the workflow to actually get information to machines, and in people's hands were terrible. It simply wasn't made for the production environment that is our shops. The production workflow for Microvellum is one thing that sets it apart from it's competitors in my mind. Again, take the time and watch the videos.

One other thing, the best thing in my opinion, about MV is it's open ended. You can develop products that have more options, specific to you and your needs, then any other software. But with today's library data, you don't have to.

Software decisions are never easy, good luck with yours.

4/6/17       #15: CAD/CAM software for medium sized c ...
Brian

Microvellum. all the way, very dynamic company that will work with you to meet your goals. Nope not a paid plug, just a satisfied user for 10+ years.

7/16/17       #16: CAD/CAM software for medium sized c ...
Larry

Be cautious about what you believe from software sellers. They all can do slick demos but reality can be much different. We gave up on MV 3 years ago. Maybe they have turned over a new leaf. They certainly needed to.

7/17/17       #17: CAD/CAM software for medium sized c ...
Brian

Larry, You give up way too easily. I can accomplish things in Microvellum that most other software packages are still only dreaming about. It's all about the users skill sets.

7/17/17       #18: CAD/CAM software for medium sized c ...
Larry

Brian, Before I bought a new bore & insert machine I asked MV if they could provide a post for it. No problem they said. For several months after we got the machine they fooled around and never did get a working post for it. They would ignore me for weeks. One of my geeky office guys went to work on it and got it to work, sort of. So, how many months should I have waited?

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)