Computer Aided Design

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Need to get into the 21st century CAD

2/11/19       
Dan Mueller Member

Forgive my ignorance here. I've held off as long as I can. Been drawing kitchens by hand for 30 years, but I need to get myself into the 21st century and come up with a simple, relatively inexpensive program to layout kitchens. I've tinkered around with a couple of free apps on my tablet, but would prefer to come up with something that can not only produce a 3d view, but also face frame drawings. And possibly also cut sheets. Obviously technology changes quickly, so what's out there that won't be a wasted investment and not take me weeks to learn how to use?

2/12/19       #2: Need to get into the 21st century C ...
JoeW Member

Dan,

I too drew my kitchens etc for many years. About 10 years ago I made the change. I now consider my cabinet program the best tool in the shop.

I have bought several and tried others. I spent a great deal of money to find the match for me. I make only high end custom cabinets. I suspect that what your looking for is going to be a program that will take time to learn and will not be free.

I bought and tried KCD, Cabinet Pro, and tested Mozaik. All are good software and will probably do what you have listed. I now use Cabinet Vision Ultimate. The only one I could find to do everything I need.

Cabinet Vision is very expensive to buy and to maintain. But it is what I need and get the job done. It takes a great deal of time to learn. But now designs and presentation is done in no time.

KCD was good but limited for me. Had very good and I believe free support.
Cabinet Pro was good to but limited for me. I believe support is only free by email.

Mozaik. Limited for me, but everything else was good. Monthly rental includes support.

All require time to learn.

All have trial periods, but are limited and you really need a much loner time to learn them.

Good luck. But I never found a decent cabinet program that is free.

2/12/19       #3: Need to get into the 21st century C ...
Will Williamson

Try this some folks like it a lot good place as any to starthttp://www.ecabinetsystems.com/eCabinetReq.nsf/eCabinetReq?OpenForm

2/12/19       #4: Need to get into the 21st century C ...
Dan Mueller Member

Yeah, I do somewhere in between mid and high end cabinets. A little commercial thrown in as well. I'm not looking for free. Like 15 years ago I bought Cabinet Vision. But at the time, we got overwhelmed with life, and it just sat there and went by the wayside. Just a waste of $4500 at the time. I have reached out to them to see if they'll help me out any, but not holding my breath.
I would love to be able to pring shop drawings, door and drawer list, and cut lists. I looked at something the other day, but it seemed as if the cut lists would only be set up for a CNC. I need to set up for table saw.

2/12/19       #5: Need to get into the 21st century C ...
David Egnoski  Member

eCabinets is very full featured. It's cabinet design, cutlist and presentation software. My customers do some awesome projects. It will make a cutlist for a CNC or panel saw.
It has a learning curve but videos and forum are very helpful. And it's free.

2/17/19       #6: Need to get into the 21st century C ...
Mark B Member

In all the reading Ive seen on the subject when your trying to come in rather quickly and dont have the time or the desire to spend months of time (spread out over years) building/tweaking libraries and learning, the main thing to look for is a format that simpy makes sense to the way your brain works intuitively. Trying to force your brain to wrap itself around something that just doesnt make sense to you rather intuitively is a long and involved process.

Unfortunately that only means getting trials of many options and putting in many hours during those trials to find the one that will give you some fairly quick start up time. And be ready for some shortcomings or work-arounds in nearly any option out there. Simple/cheaper options you'll be limited in certain very odd situations and even in the ones that are capable of drawing anything it may well be that simply doing those few odd balls old-school is just faster.

We run Sketchup Pro and a paid plugin. Cabinetsense Software. It will do anything including CNC export (which we use almost daily). I have been using Sketchup for perahps 10 years and for me, being a woodworker, it simply makes sense to me and I can draw virtually anything from basic boxes to highly organic shapes and 3D files and get them to the CNC.

Sadly so many options now are moving to subscription based which softens the blow monthly but means over a lifetime your going to pay way way more for everything and of course it will always be up to date but many of us dont really need that. One bonus with Cabinetsense is you can opt in and opt out monthly if you wish. So if your not going to need to draw a job for a while you can simply shut it down and resume when you need it (no back charge for subscription lapse) but Sketchup will require the maintenance.

We run all our shops, cutlists, door and drawer schedules, with those two titles. We can run sheet optimization layout to the slider but havent done that since we got the CNC.

2/18/19       #7: Need to get into the 21st century C ...
robert

I think JoeW comments were the best. All the programs he mentioned you'll be up and running fairly quickly, but the most robust software would be Cabinet Vision, Mircovellum, and TopSolid, but the learning curve is steep and the cost is up there.

2/20/19       #8: Need to get into the 21st century C ...
Cadre

For amazing drawings, gentle learning curve and add-ons for cut listing, look at Sketchup. The basic version is free, the pro version is around $700.00 I think. I use Microvellum but need the power and programming for what I do. Enjoy the adventure.

2/24/19       #9: Need to get into the 21st century C ...
Scott

Great conversation, I am looking for something as well, I am leaning towards trying mozaik. Thanks for the info.

Joe,
What makes cabinets high end? The client? Or is there something else.

2/25/19       #10: Need to get into the 21st century C ...
JoeW Member

Hi Scott,

Interesting question. Definitely not the client. But the cabinet design and construction that they client is requiring.

My customers usually come to me with a unique design because they have been told by other cabinet shops that they can't provided the special details that the customer is requiring. One I hear a lot is "I want it to look like furniture". And each customer has a their own opinion on what that means.

For the most part it is a cabinet that usually requires being built part by part to make it function properly. Then I have to blend the rest of the room's cabinets to go with the specially designed cabinets.

With Cabinet Vision Ultimate, I have total control of each cabinet part and can make it do anything I want it to do. Then I can add intelligence to the part . So once the cabinet design is complete, I can change dimensions (Height, width, length, etc) on the fly.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)