CNC

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

new or old?

12/9/15       
RC

I run a small high end custom shop, am interested in adding a router into the tool mix
Has anyone weighed the pros and cons of buying a 10 y/o higher end router(Komo,Andi) vs. a new Laguna,Techno??? I have read many opinions on this site about how a used Altendorf or Martin slider would be a better choice than a new import machine.

Does the same analogy hold true for routers? Are the older machines out dated and more difficult to use?, software obsolete??

Being a beginner, I do not want to spend a ton of money, and can see the wisdom of the older iron that would likely hold calibration better,give more accurate cuts etc....

Anyone been down this road?

12/9/15       #2: new or old? ...
Gary B.

RC,

That mindset holds well with non electronic equipment like shapers, saws, and other "old iron", but IMHO, not well in a CNC arena. The problem is parts, and old obsolete software. non-cnc old iron is simple...You'll always be able to find an on-off switch you can wire on, or a new bearing, etc. It's not so easy when you get into electronic and pnuematic parts. It's also not easy to find some of the older software, or a computer that can run it (many times,old software won't run on new computers).

If I was looking at CNC's on a budget, I would only go used on one condition- I had personally used an Identical machine make and model before, and knew it inside and out, AND was content with how it could be programmed. Definitely wouldn't recommend going old for a first time CnC purchaser.

12/10/15       #3: new or old? ...
RC

Gary
thanks for the feedback, sounds like you have known someone who has suffered the pitfall of buying at scrap prices.
Any manufacturer that you lean strongly toward or against?? Again ,this is something that I have no experience with (I can draw in ACAD) but feel like its the logical next step.

I am not one of those believers that I can lose my panel saw (just bringing in a new one) and do everything with a router, we are a shop that has a niche for doing complex projects that most others would not be able to do for one reason or another.

CNC routing seems like the next tool to master, and I do not mean cutting nested melamine, integral toe kick lower cabinet parts......no disrespect to those who do that, it just would not be my application

12/10/15       #4: new or old? ...
Gavin

RC,

Can you post a few pictures of the type of work you are looking to do with it ?

We too are a small custom shop , not just kitchens or cabinets . We do a lot of solid wood radius work and architectural mouldings and doors and windows .

You need to start thinking about your budget , if you are able to share that you may be able to get better responses . Software like alphacam can run about 40k and if your doing the kind of work that we are you need a machine with a decent amount of z height . You could be looking at another 100,000. Knowing what I know about cnc routers now I WOULD NOT BUY AN OLD ONE , support is key with a cnc router and if no one can help you your frustration will make you regret the machine . Our biesse skill has been a great machine , we had hiccups in the beginning but biesse offered great on site support/warranty through the whole process

My my understanding from talking to people with them is that techno is a very light duty machine , cheaper components . That is how they hit a low price point . But that being said if we know what kind of work you need to do , it might work fine . I cut 3" solid red oak with my machine with ease . But not everyone has the need to do that.

Best of luck ! Buy the right machine and you won't regret moving into the world of cnc

12/10/15       #5: new or old? ...
Mike

I have an old iron Northwood purchased new in 2003. Little older than what you are looking at, but we can use mine as an example. The Fanuc software interface works as well as it did new. The control itself has been solid, no issues there, but if there were issues, all parts are available for purchase. Recently we changed a spindle cartridge and tool touch probe. Parts were in stock for us to install immediately. Not sure how to address "difficult to use". I am pretty experienced, so no. Most machines from this era have most of the features that the new ones have with touch probes and easy to understand offset registries. In my own opinion, I would buy a high end used machine over a brand new entry level light weight model. I wouldn't even consider it for more than a second. I have purchased both new and used over the years. Made a few mistakes along the way and hopefully learned from it. As far as training goes, that can be purchased. Lots of contractors out there that can take care of you. Right now, you have the exact same experience with an old machine as you do a new one. Good luck.

12/10/15       #6: new or old? ...
Dropout Member

Ditto for old.

Learn how to fix it. The difference between new and old comes from profit. I'd rather that profit stays in my pocket than goes anywhere else.

I'd stay away from stuff that uses proprietary languages and look for something that uses G code. Fanuc is a good control. Parts and service everywhere. I'd bet that for every cnc router with a Fanuc control there are 50 or 100 metalworking machine tools that use it.

There are some excellent software programs out there that can talk to anything G code.

12/11/15       #7: new or old? ...
Larry

I've had 3 routers both new & used. Two with Fanuc contols, motors etc. Bullet proof. I'm not a fan of the cheaper, light duty machines, if you plan on making your living by relying on it for day to day production. Most mechanical things can be fixed easily. Electronics go obsolete. I think you would be better off buying a new middle range machine than the other choices. Machine cost $70K+-, + software, electrical, dust collection, learning curve. I know what happened here was that our entire production system very quickly became reliant on the routers. If they go down the production drops drastically. Everything has been designed around their use.

12/11/15       #8: new or old? ...
Larry

I just saw this one listed. Thermwood makes OK machines. This is their bottom of the line model. I think they are asking too much but everything is negociable. A major draw back is the lack of a boring block.
Thermwood, model C40, ser# C401580699, 460 V, 60 hz, 3 ph, mfg. 6/1999, upgraded 6/2006, has autolube, tool length sensor, 10 hp HSD spindle, 5 position ATC at the head tool changer, new XY&Z axis bearings, 4’X8′ high flow multi function aluminum table, 91000 super control upgraded 6/2006
This router was completely rebuilt by Thermwood in 2006 has a Quincy 25Horse Power Vacuum that was rebuilt by a Quincy dealer.
Owner has retired and is asking $38,500.00
For more information call NebraskaTool 402-430-4110 (Paul)

12/13/15       #9: new or old? ...
Jason Scott

A shop up the road from me bought a used komo about a year ago. To my understanding it's still not up and running. I bought a new Biesse Klever at the same time. We managed to get a lemon of a machine. Under warranty we had techs in the shop for 25 days I think and they shipped in what would have cost me nearly $90k worth of parts. Biesse stepped up and replaced the machine and upgraded me at the same time. If I had bought a used machine I would have had real problems. Anyway I would not buy used and find out if the warranty covers travel time if a tech needs to come to your facility.

Something else to think about. If there is someone nearby you who has a larger capacity router they might be able to cut what you need and you pay for the time you use on their machine as opposed to a machine that you can't keep busy.

Lastly software is expensive and slow to learn. You will spend much more time designing than you ever thought you would. The router will only cut what you told it to cut, not what you thought you told it to cut.

12/14/15       #10: new or old? ...
Mike

Jason brings up a good point that happens all too often. When buying used, there are things to check out before writing a check. Does it run? If not under power, how long has it been idle, and for what reason. Has it been inspected by the buyer, or someone the buyer trusts? Some buyers buy used at an auction with not idea what the history of the machine has been or what running condition it may be in. Others pick up a machine after making zero preparations at the shop. Electrical service, dust extraction, and proper space requirements come to mind. So, I guess the take away is that if you have done the homework and have most of pieces in place at the shop, there is no reason not to be in production within a few weeks or months. The result of all this work will hopefully be a machine that will run circles around the light weight entry level machines for the same money or less.

12/15/15       #11: new or old? ...
B.H. Davis Member

I'd have no problem purchasing a used mid-price range/duty CNC router. I would think twice about purchasing a used heavy iron machine unless I knew exactly what its history of use had been.

Quality mid-range machines are reliable and cut just as cleanly and fast (for the most part) as the heavy iron routers. They are much less expensive to repair and are usually run by PCs which means hardware and software upgrades are easy.

I'd rather deal with machine components that have to move around a few hundred pounds of hardware than a 1000 lbs or more. The linear components for those heavy machines are large and costly.

BH Davis

12/17/15       #12: new or old? ...
Jim

Small two man shop. First router I bought was used. The tech support was very poor. I ended up buying a new router. I under estimated how much the shop became dependent on this machine and I simply didn't have the skill set and time to work on the used machine. Learned from this and been happy with the new machine.

12/18/15       #13: new or old? ...
Mike

Jim,
I am amazed that you had to buy a new machine in order to find the support to develop your skill sets. When I was a bit younger, I would take side jobs teaching folks how to drive their new old machines. All of them except for one did amazingly well. The exception had a poor business model and he went out during the great recession.

Question for anyone:
Is there a resource for finding available techs to help get shops up and running with their good used machines? Especially those with industry standard controls.

12/19/15       #14: new or old? ...
Tom Galzin

I will admit a bias, but I believe it's really important to have comprehensive training and especially with your first machine. Your CNC company should, of course, teach you machine operation. But complete training should include tooling theory and selection, fixturing parameters and use of bleed board fixturing, gasketed fixtures, mechanical fixturing, and the very importat topic of programming. The faster you become competent in these areas the faster the machine pays for itself...and more!

It is, no doubt, possible to learn to run a CNC through independent study, but it's not the fastest way to reach your end goal. Running a CNC as a profit center of your business. Everyone's time is limited. Is your time best spent running and growing your business, or trying to figure out how to get your Cad/Cam software to communicate to the CNC machine.

Buy a used machine for your second machine, use the support services with a new machine for your all important first purchase.

NEW CNC TALENT SERIES MACHINE

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Suction Cups, Vacuum Lifters, Vacuum Pumps from Anver Corporation ecabinet systems.com Thermwood Limtech Industries, Inc.