CNC

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

CNC Reviews and Support

3/26/16       
Ryan Millians Member

I am currently looking at purchasing our first CNC. We are a highly custom cabinet shop with about 15 employees and a 12,000 sq. foot shop. We have currently looked at SCM group but I have heard that their customer service is sub par. I would like to hear some recommendations of what are good quality machines to look at who also have good customer service. With this being our first cnc we will need good support in learning how to use it. Also we are using cabnetware for all of our design and cutlist.

3/26/16       #2: CNC Reviews and Support ...
Gary B.

I recommend you take a hard look at Stiles. They sell Homag and Weeke machines. I'm very pleased with both our 15 year old Weeke point to point, and our 2 year old Week Nested Router. The difference with them is service, parts, and training.

Service- They have excellent techs, both on the phone and in the field. Most problems they can walk you through on the phone if you're handy with a multimeter.

Parts- Most parts you can have on your doorstep the next day if need be. They have ridiculous inventory of parts they carry in Grand Rapids for their machines. All of this is right next to the airport, and they are UPS's last stop of the day (or so I heard).

Training- When we bought our Nested router, it included a week worth of classroom AND hands on training at their facility in Grand Rapids. I came back confident that I could program and run the machine to it's fullest extent. This has been invaluable with getting the most out of this machine. Also, at any point, you can send new employees there and they will get them up to speed on specific software's and machines.

Of course, all of this comes with a cost. Stiles isn't the cheapest game in town. But, at your level of operation, you need to ask yourself what it will cost you when that machine isn't able to run because of parts training or service with another brand?

I have no affiliation with stiles other than I'm a happy customer. The disparity between their level of service and the next in line is startling.

3/26/16       #3: CNC Reviews and Support ...
cabinetmaker

Biesse America

Ran 82 hours last week - cnc router, bander and auto doweller All Biesse.

20k square feet supports a top shop, corian work and casework Parts like Stiles for availability. SCM is the same in my experience. Faster if you have a part number

3/26/16       #4: CNC Reviews and Support ...
Leland Thomasset  Member

Take a look at Anderson Group which include Omnitech. I have had my router for 9 years now and they if rarely you need them are always there right away. The fact is I hardly ever need them as it is a solid machine of 10k pounds and great training upfront.

3/27/16       #5: CNC Reviews and Support ...
Mike

Not sure what your budget is, but our shop is similar in scope and size. I have driven most of the European brands, but the current machine, Northwood is hands down the best one I have ever worked with. 10+ years of running with almost no mechanical issues other than wear items. We cut almost as much solid wood as sheet goods and it handles it all with ease.

3/27/16       #6: CNC Reviews and Support ...
Ryan Millians Member

Thank You everyone for the great responses. This is the kind of information I was looking for.

3/28/16       #7: CNC Reviews and Support ...
Rob Howell

Ryan,

I'm the SCM Group Product Manager for both SCM and Morbidelli brand CNC Routers. I'm sure when you go to a forum like Wood Web you'll get all kinds of feedback and everyone has their own preferences or opinions. It's like asking about a pickup truck. I'm sure you'll find some that like Ford and others like Chevy or other models and all have some type of opinion pertaining to each model. I'd be happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have and feel free to call me at SCM 770-813-8818. I'd also be like to address anyone who is currently having issues with a machine manufactured by SCM Group so that we can address it and look into the history. I'm sure we're not perfect but I don't think any manufacturer is and you have to keep in mind where these comments are coming from on a Forum. Let me know if I can help.

Best Regards,

--
Rob Howell
SCM Group North America
Product Manager

3/28/16       #8: CNC Reviews and Support ...
BigTup

We bought a 1 year old 5 x 12 SCM Pratix last year. We use Cabnetware also. You will likely buy Screen to Machine, and Nesting from them. We also use Alphacam for the custom stuff. We had to wait a month for the SCM tech to arrive to set us up, but when he did arrive he did an awesome job. Yes, it is frustrating to wait for a call back when you are stuck. We wait on both Cabnetware, and SCM to return calls. Sometimes an hour or so, sometimes a day or so. The machine has been pretty trouble free, and it is amazing to see it perform. I feel like we are limited only by our imagination.

3/28/16       #9: CNC Reviews and Support ...
Pdub

Another person not too fired up on my overall service by SCM.
Sorry Rob, but you guys have made some bad customer service policy decisions in the last couple of years.

3/28/16       #10: CNC Reviews and Support ...
Gary B.

"you have to keep in mind where these comments are coming from on a Forum"

Yes you do....these comments are coming from other woodworkers who have experience with the user side of CNC machines, and hopefully can steer the original poster in a good direction.

3/28/16       #11: CNC Reviews and Support ...
cabinetmaker

Rob-

We need to stay on topic. The posters are speaking truths. I have had my issues with Biesse in the beginning and the corrected them. What's more important, is they have not repeated them. We own a slider from SCM and have never had a problem with service or parts.

The OP wants real world experiences to gauge his decision with.

We all appreciate your willingness to work out the problems, but in the long run, you personally will not be there when the machine has a malfunction, and the life line for him is "Gatekept" by a service department that has no idea this guy may have a very crushing deadline over his head.

3/28/16       #12: CNC Reviews and Support ...
BigTup

This seems to have a bit of an anti SCM tone that I personally don't agree with. My experience has been that software/system questions from SCM central in Georgia take longer to answer than I'd like. Machine questions from a machine tech have been answered within minutes, usually. The machine techs that I have had contact with (Bob G, Zac) are awesome. Bob G. set us up, was totally involved, gave us as much info as we could absorb, had personal interest in our success in getting set up right (and this is for a used machine mind you). Meanwhile we are up and running sending one job after another through it with good results. How many times have I had to call? 8 times maybe, not bad. Buying a machine of this caliber is a big deal, complex, stressful, exciting, expensive. Don't think it will necessarily go exactly the way you think it should. If I were unhappy I would definitely say so, but I'm not.

3/28/16       #13: CNC Reviews and Support ...
Gavin s

This thread does need to stay on topic. This should never be used to bash a company. This forum SHOULD be used to speak your experience and help others. and if nothing else maybe even help the vendors we rely on to supply us with quality machines. Just the same they rely on us to be happy customers and report when they are performing well.

While I may have had a bad instance with SCM I am sure there are 100's of others that have had great service through them . And my post should not of said not to consider them as a canadate. I should of left it with having a bad experience and that's it.

Same goes for any vendor , my great experience with biesse may not be true for everyone else that deals with them.

Everyone reading this topic should know I got a nice call from SCM today to try and help me with any technical problems I have or had. Rob even walked down to the service department while I was on the phone to get me some answers.

To Ryan the original poster , remeber you will read a a lot of different things. Do your due dilegance and give each company the equal opportunity to show you why you should consider them. My experience should not be your only thought when you chose a manufacture.

3/29/16       #14: CNC Reviews and Support ...
mike  Member

we purchased a cnc last year after a long search, we went with Biesse klever. I liked the support and training the best. I had 1 week training in NC on the software and then the tech was here for 1 week to do setup and training. Software will make a difference. Talk to people that use your software and how they like it with each type of machine. Good luck!

3/29/16       #15: CNC Reviews and Support ...
Pdub

Ditto. Not trying to bash any company here, but the OP asked for "who has good customer service", so I figured I'd relay my experience.
I also want to second the post about the techs for SCM themselves being great. Everyone I have dealt with over there has been fantastic, quick (enough) to respond and 9/10 my problems were fixed. My bad experiences have been with the initial delivery/ training on my machine and with the overall customer service POLICIES that have been put in place by the higher-ups.

3/29/16       #16: CNC Reviews and Support ...
mike  Member

crashed hard drive on friday; after new hard drive, biesse tech had all software up and dialed in in less than 1 hour via teamviewer. up and cutting now!

3/29/16       #17: CNC Reviews and Support ...
Pdub

Nice Mike. Do you have to pay for that TeamViewer support (pay Biesse, not TV) after your 1 year warranty period?

3/30/16       #18: CNC Reviews and Support ...
Derrek Holland

I'm a Big Biesse fan. Over 10 years with a rover B. Minimal issues, great tech support, never paid a dime for it. Most of our tech support issues are user created or how to do this. We have had very little down time in 10 years and have run thousands and thousands of sheets. You won't be unhappy with them. I have never needed a tech onsite, phone support has walked us through any problems we have had.

3/30/16       #19: CNC Reviews and Support ...
Andrew Member

Look up Diversified Machine Systems or Freedom Machine Tool depending on your need. Give both service numbers a call and see what your results are.

I work at the factory but I am confident our customer service is exceptional.

Good luck in your decision!

4/3/16       #20: CNC Reviews and Support ...
mike  Member

No, team viewer is free and tech support for life

11/15/16       #21: CNC Reviews and Support ...
farik Member

anyone has an ideai how to fix safety mat erroe on cnc masterwood m310

9/25/19       #22: CNC Reviews and Support ...
Geoffrey Turner

Has anybody bought a CNC lathe from Jinan Style machinery company ? and if so Your thought?
Thanks

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Suction Cups, Vacuum Lifters, Vacuum Pumps from Anver Corporation ecabinet systems.com Thermwood Limtech Industries, Inc.