CNC

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

new vs used CNC advice

4/18/16       
Yusuke Member

Hey guys,

My business partner and I recently formed our company 4 months ago. We started out in a small 900sq ft shop and have now moved into a 3500sq ft shop. My background is in custom cabinetry while his is in metal work. We have primarily been doing custom desks, tables, built in cabinetry, railings, gates, furniture. Recently we have become linked up with a plastic injection molding company (my business partners father is friends with the owner of the factory).

So we have this job opportunity to finish 5000 plastic models with an end total of 20000 units. That's the finishing portion that we have already been contracted to do in our new finishing booth. Great.

The second part of the job that was offered to us was to machine the same number of display bases. The parts are 1" thick, 20" diameter particle board circles with 2 holes milled for mounting the models.

The thinking is that we buy a cnc to mill all of the circles, get us through the job, I would use it to process the cabinetry jobs that continue to come in, and have a machine for the next display job, and eventually upgrade it when the time is right.

Being that we are 4 months old and have no credit history we can forget about financing a 130-200k system. I contacted SCM, CR Onsrud, KOMO, biesse, stiles/weeke, Thermwood for quotes.

That essentially leaves us with the used market and trying to get a high interest loan for a lower priced machine that will be paid for by the job. We were looking at a used Multicam MG205 and a KOMO I'm waiting to hear back on from the rep at KOMO. Downsides being no warranty, no idea on machine use/abuse other than run time hours, most systems are not operational or they are out of state for inspection, no idea on problems with the machine or what is about to break down, overall quality of the system.

Is it worth it to go the used route to save money?

The only feasibly priced, brand new machine I have been offered was the SCM Pratika300. I won't list the price here, but for the amount on that machine we can secure a loan and pay it off completely with the first order of 5000 units. It is a lot more than I would be paying for the used system we are looking at, but it's also a new machine, comes with warranty, set up/ training, reputable company, ready to ship.

Having never dealt with any of these systems I have no bearing to make a sound decision. My gut tells me pay more and buy the Pratika300. Use it as an entry cnc and continue to for years to come until we outgrow it as a company.

I was hoping someone on here might have had experience using or owning one that could give me some insight on it.

4/19/16       #2: new vs used CNC advice ...
Gary B.

I'll be honest; Purchasing a CNC for 1 job seems like a risky proposition. Even if you think you may use it in the future, there are many other costs to consider than just the initial price.

Electrical, dust collection, tooling, software and training all add up quickly. If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't expect to be fully up and running for at least 3 months, likely longer. I'm speaking of the point where you are confident in your programming and machines ability to take on work.

Also, the difference in productivity between the smaller CNC machines and a large work horse can be substantial.

Have you considered outsourcing such work to a shop with a good CNC already? Several shops take on work like that, ours included. You'll likely still make a good bit on the project, which you'll have in your hand to invest in a CNC later if you still choose to. Good luck in your decision.

4/19/16       #3: new vs used CNC advice ...
Yusuke Member

Thanks for the input Gary,

The first thing we did was look to outsource this portion of the job. We had responses back that it wasn't worth their time to running $75k for the first 5000 discs to be cut including material ($15 per unit). It was after that that we thought, well hell we might as well get a machine and put it to work. The end total on this is 20,000 units.

We would pay for the machine, bank a good amount of money, I would have a system for running cabinetry, and eliminate the need for some secondary process machines. As well as be set up for the next display job that is coming after this one. That one is being finalized, but its going to be a similar situation of finishing and cutting bases.

I hear you on the lead time for getting a system set up though. Dust collection, pneumatics, electrical, training. It's a lot and not a whole lot of time to get moving on it. It's hard to walk away from that kind of money for relatively easy work.

4/19/16       #4: new vs used CNC advice ...
Mark B Member

This is raw 1" PB? A 20" disc with two holes?

4/19/16       #5: new vs used CNC advice ...
Gary B.

If you're willing to email me the specs I'd be happy to quote it. We are pretty good at component work.

4/19/16       #6: new vs used CNC advice ...
Yusuke Member

Yes, this is raw PB (flake) that will be completely covered (not seen at all). Does not need clean edges. 2 holes milled for mounting.

4/19/16       #7: new vs used CNC advice ...
Gary

I've bought three used cnc's with very good luck. The first was a big iron Northwood and the last two are Omnitechs. All were low hour and the price was right. The few times we did need support we went with an independent tech and it worked out great.
We were cutting parts within days and caught on quickly. That being said we were already fairly good with cabinet vision before we took the cnc plunge.

As Gary B pointed out there other costs involved.

I like your thinking that the big project will pay for the machine, or in reality maybe a good prtion of it, and still have the cnc for future use.

4/19/16       #8: new vs used CNC advice ...
Yusuke Member

Gary B,

shoot me an email with your contact info. We are aware we might have to send this work out if we cannot get our own cnc in time.

I

4/19/16       #9: new vs used CNC advice ...
Yusuke Member

Gary,

How did you go about buying your systems? Did you go through one of the auction sites, one of the companies that buy/flip/ or help owners sell their machines?

In the rare instance I come across a machine that is within driving distance and is actually hooked up. Most of the listings the machines are all disconnected. Also, did you get your machines with a computer and software or did you have to purchase that separately? Software expense is a serious kick to the balls, but we square up and take it because it hurts so good.

I should say we do have a CNC plasma cutter for metal fabrication so we are familiar with drawing/nesting sofware. We run SigmaNest for the metal side and it's great and only took us a couple of days to figure out. I have not tried the cabinet based software. I haven't had a need to.

How was your transition? Would you say it was relatively simple to pick up or did you guys do the training courses? Learn as you go sort of thing?

4/20/16       #10: new vs used CNC advice ...
Gary

I bought all of my cnc(s) and most all of my other used equipment through a local trusted dealer. They deal in new and used machines. They either rig and move the stuff themselves or arrange it to be done. They deal nation wide. I bought the Northwood, which came from Arizona, (I'm in Iowa) sight unseen except for pictures The Omnitechs were local so I viewed them in action first. Most of my other used equipment (3 head widebelt, ripsaw,edgebander, ect) was bought site unseen except for pictures through my dealer.

Buying used scares some people but has worked out well for me. To me support isn't an issue because the manufacturer will still help out in most cases and there are plenty of very good independent techs to help out also.

Software expense is a kick in the balls and so is the leaning curve. Ours did not come with the cnc. In your case I think you can get by with a minimal understanding of the software to get your discs cut. In the mean time you can play with it and get to know it better for other jobs. We used ours (CV) for almost a year before we took training and that helped out a lot.

The transition for us was not bad but nine years later we are still learning. "Learning" the cnc was easier than leaning the software but they go hand-in-hand.

4/20/16       #11: new vs used CNC advice ...
Yusuke

Gary, I thank you for your insight.

Were you nervous the first time or every time? All I can think about is will this machine truly bring me a return on investment after this job? In your experience with the first machine, did you already have a steady work load coming in that this was the right time for the jump with minimal risk involved?

For us the CNC plasma was a risk and we took it. The machine is bringing in steady work through custom jobs. In between parts and custom jobs we use it to develop our line of standardized designs; from lamps, table bases, chairs, railings, so on.

4/21/16       #12: new vs used CNC advice ...
Gary

I was nervous and very hesitant when we bought the first cnc. I knew we could keep it busy about a day a week but that's all.
This was the only piece of equipment the salesman actually tried hard to "sell" me. He had seen how cnc capabilities had helped other shops and felt it would help mine also. The price was right so I took the plunge.
As it turned out it was a good move. The business grew and we were able to run the cnc more and more. The business grew in part because of the cnc. It opened new doors for work that I would have passed on if we didn't have the router.

4/21/16       #13: new vs used CNC advice ...
Dropout Member

I am very biased, but I say buy a machine.

Look for good old iron, something with a common control, Fanuc maybe. There are literllay millions of Fanuc controls in the world and service and spare parts are everywhere.

Get a tool changer and a drill block if you can.

Software doesn't have to be expensive. I run a 5X10 Biesse Arrow with 12 position tool changer and drill block with $200.00 CAM software.

I also have a 30HP rotary screw vacuum pump.

Bought them used and have less than $20K US total in machines and software.

Learn how to fix them your self. Save $ and time and be beholden to no one.

Read, read and read some more.

You will have sleepless nights and go through a few bottles of Tylenol, but at the end of it all it will be worth it.

4/22/16       #14: new vs used CNC advice ...
Maurice Phelps

Here is the a quick lesson in the cnc both new and used community.

You can get burned either way, on the used side.
Pay for a inspection, DO NOT TAKE THE SELLERS(including the big resellers out there) WORD OR VIDEO as proof, yeah it works, looks and sounds great.

I have gone to pack up at least 4 machines that worked great last week, and now they won't start up, one to the tune of 6000 plus dollars because the control board was missing. Make the sale contingent on the inspection, if all is then pull the trigger.

NO, this will not catch everything but I will catch a vast majority of issue.

On the new side, I have run into a few new companies as well as some old one, that down right suck, when it come down to holding up their side of the warranty on a new machine. In some cases they mfg. has stop responding all together, and not responding to machine issues.

Case in point:
Selling a machine as a 400 watt motor machine, produce in North America. Machine arrive as a 200 watt and built in China, machine has cut quality issues, wiring problems, rusted assembly problems with multiple hole that don't line up.

Buyer has held the final payment due to issues, and even with the final payment held mfg. has stopped communicating with buyer to fix issues.

Do your research, these forum out here are full of information some that is downright person, but a vast majority have facts that should be explored.

I don't know if this help, but hopefully it give you something to think about.

5/24/21       #15: new vs used CNC advice ...
FORSUNCNC Member

Buying a used CNC router is a gamble, you need to evaluate its reliability and future maintenance costs. Generally speaking, the used CNC router is cheap, but its subsequent processing performance, remaining service life, and maintenance cost are uncertain. The new CNC routers are more reliable, more powerful, and have a longer lifespan, but their prices may exceed your limited budget.

Different buyers will decide whether to buy used machines or new ones. When you need to buy a CNC router, there is no easy answer, because it depends on your production needs, budget, and time.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors
    • Limtech Industries, Inc.
      CNC Routers, Machinery for Woodworking, Plastic and Other Non-ferrous Metal Machining Applications
    • Weinig Group-USA
      Wood Moulders and Knife Grinding Equipment
    • NEMI
      Products For CNC Machines - Digitizers, Tool Setters, Vacuum Pods, Vacuum Cups, Vacuum Tables, Vacuum Chucks and Software
    • Southeast Tool, Inc.
      High Quality Tooling at Competitive Pricing
    • MachineryMax
      New and Used Machinery for the Professional Woodworker
    • Safety Speed Manufacturing
      Economical Vertical Panel Saws, Panel Routers, Edgebanders and Widebelt Sanders
    • ULTI-BOARD
      The Ultimate Spoilboard - ULTI-BOARD - Specifically Engineered and Formulated for the Ultimate in Spoilboard Performance - Not Your Ordinary Sheet of MDF.
    • Carter Products
      Band Saw Guides, Blades, Wheels, Tires, Line Lasers and 2D Projectors, Wide Belt Sanding Accessories, Vacuum Holding Systems and More
    • Charles G.G. Schmidt Co.
      Tooling for Shapers, Moulders, Tenoners, Planers and Routers
    • Simantech
      New & Used Machinery, Supplies, Tooling, Parts, and Abrasive Products
    • Holz-Her US Inc.
      Custom Edgebanders, Vertical Panel Saws, CNC Beam Saws, Wide Belt Sanders, CNC Point to Point Boring Machines, CNC Routers
    • Biesse America
      Woodworking Machinery - Machining Centers, Edge Banders, Feeders/Stackers, Panel Sizing Centers
    • EX-FACTORY INC.
      Offering New & Used Woodworking Machinery including Auctions & Liquidations

Become a Sponsor today!