CNC

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Weeke Vs Anderson Vs Biesse Vs Omnitech

4/26/16       
Jeff Member

I've got a 3 man custom cabinet shop and we're looking to add a CNC router for nested base. We've spoken with 3 sales guys from Weeke, Biesse and Adnerson who sells Andi & Omnitech. I've done quite a bit of research and am becoming overwhelmed with all of it. I'm basically looking for anyone's comments or recommendations on the machines. With Weeke we are looking at the Vantech510. Biesse is the Klever1530. Anderson is the Andi SUP TC+D. And Omnitech is the Selexx Pal 510. Biesse seems to be the cheapest, Then Omnitech and Weeke/Anderson as top $$.

4/26/16       #2: Weeke Vs Anderson Vs Biesse Vs Omni ...
Mike

Jeff,
If the Anderson has a Fanuc control, get that one and pass on the others. I have heard stories. One of the stories is happening right now across town. I won't mention names because those people have threatened in the past about passing along true stories.

4/26/16       #3: Weeke Vs Anderson Vs Biesse Vs Omni ...
Jared

No company has a clean record, so take the anecdotes about how terrible one particular manufacturer is with a grain of salt. My advice is to consider what your support scenario looks like: is there a tech within driving distance? Where do parts ship from? Can you get them yourself from McMaster or Grainger, or do you have to wait for the slow boat? Talk to locals that own the machines and hear their stories first hand to get an idea of what ownership looks like.

4/27/16       #4: Weeke Vs Anderson Vs Biesse Vs Omni ...
Sam Jackson

I think the most important thing is actually the software to drive the machine. Without integrated software even the finest cnc is your most expensive work bench in my opinion. Do you have design software that can generate the g code? We have cabinet vision with s2m centre driving and omnitech Selexx pal. The interface on the controller is great for us as we do no manual programming at the machine. If that's something you want to do I've heard that b solid for Biesse or woodwop for the weeke work reasonably well. The omnitech would definitely not be your machine for manual programming. We also have a rover 20 and have been very happy with Biesse service over the years. I've had the pleasure to work with 2 Biesse skills which were excellent. Having said that, my omnitech is built like a tank. Lots of metal zooming around! Great for mdf doors and such. Drop me a line if you want to chat further!

4/27/16       #5: Weeke Vs Anderson Vs Biesse Vs Omni ...
Jeff Fuchs  Member

Mike I appreciate the comment about the Fanuc controller, but at the same time, I've not heard any horror stories online about other systems. Reality is, with any brand new system, you should not have any issues for quite awhile. And if you did, the factory would back you up. Fanuc is better longevity wise, with guaranteed parts, but that's if I'm looking for the machine to still be integral to the business in 15+ years. After the machine is paid for in 5 years, everything cost wise will just be par for the course. Still, this controller issue is part of my considerations for purchasing.
Jared, thank you for your input. I've heard and agree that talking with the service & tech staff is important. They will be who I call when this go bad, or I'm desperate for help. One benefit for me, is that we are located in NC and all these companies are within 4 hours of many shop. Except Omni-tech which is in GA a 6 hour drive. Still very close.
Sam, I just bought into Cabinet Vision and have every piece of software they offer, top of the line including the S2M. I'm in the process of learning that before I get the machine. I'm computer savvy, so hopefully 4 months should get me up to speed. Also, I've heard the same thing regarding Alphcam. A lot of people complaining about how difficult it is to use and learn. Whereas Woodwop & Biesse works are easy. The Anderson & Omnitech have small footprints which I like because it takes up less room in the shop and leaves me more flexibility. Also, they are more industrial weight wise and with Fanuc controllers, longevity will be longer then the others. The weeke is massive, with a bunch of wasted space and you can't' really lessen that up. Biesse has a good footprint, but everyone tells me how they are willing to drop prices by almost 25%, which in one sense is good for cost savings but also scares me that I'd be getting a CHEAP machine. I'm visiting all the companies next week, so hopefully that will get me all the info I need to make a decision. Thanks for all the input and if anyone has anything further, I'd love to hear it.

4/27/16       #6: Weeke Vs Anderson Vs Biesse Vs Omni ...
Mike

Jeff,
Just a couple of points, the machine across town is new, but the techs have been in nearly daily for over 3 weeks. Of course the company is standing behind it, but at some point you want them to leave so production can happen or just take the thing back.

I have never heard of anyone complaining about Alphacam being hard. Probably one of the most intuitive programs around for high level output. I don't know Biesseworks, but Woodwop is limiting in what the router can do, but if you only cut cabinet parts, it should be fine.

Over the years looking at machines the European models seem to have a lot of margin built into their list pricing. I wouldn't be too concerned about the 25%.

4/27/16       #7: Weeke Vs Anderson Vs Biesse Vs Omni ...
Jared

Woodwop is unbelievable crippled in my opinion, unless you want to treat your machine like a point-to-point. Before I bought my machine, I'd used Cabinet Vision and RouterCim extensively and had seen Alphacam and Enroute in operation by others. Woodwop is in dire need of a complete rewrite; it feels like software circa the Windows 3.1 days. The interface needs a lot of work, and localization to English from German is rough. It's good enough for any of your employees to walk up to the machine and cut a rectangle, but anything more complicated than that should come out of your CAM computer. DXF importing into WoodWOP from other sources is fiddly and error prone, and is not production-friendly. I wouldn't count it as a valuable addition to the machine, but more as a means to test its functionality before moving onto something more versatile.

4/27/16       #8: Weeke Vs Anderson Vs Biesse Vs Omni ...
Jeff Fuchs  Member

Any thoughts on Thermwood and there new Cut Center?

4/27/16       #9: Weeke Vs Anderson Vs Biesse Vs Omni ...
Sam Jackson

Jeff,
If you have CV & S2M I think that would negate any advantage of the cut center. Might even be a step back as I don't know if the cut center has a boring block. not sure though. I only saw the youtube videos. Seems more of an entry to CNC product to me. Huge advantages if you don't already have a design program in place.

4/27/16       #10: Weeke Vs Anderson Vs Biesse Vs Omni ...
Kevin Member

Jeff,

I have been running a Biesse Rover for several years. I like the machine. The Klever is a smaller setup. I am very familiar with Biesse and have found them to be very good at responding to issues. Mentioned earlier was a comment about Biesseworks. The software is good very easy to pickup on. It has capabilities in customized parts as well as standardized parts(cabinet ends, stretchers, etc.). Biesse offers a week long training class. This should be taken. If you have any prior training it will be a snap.
Where I am we also use Cabinet Vision for the creation of nested programs. Cabinet vision has shortcomings when it comes to customized parts (reception desk parts, counters) The use of both compliment each other.

4/28/16       #11: Weeke Vs Anderson Vs Biesse Vs Omni ...
Jim

2006 Selexx Mate: 9000 hours. Fanuc controller and sevors. One switch in 9 years. It has been a very good machine. Using cabinetvision.

4/28/16       #12: Weeke Vs Anderson Vs Biesse Vs Omni ...
cabinetmaker

What Kevin said. Also look @ Onsrud

I like all my Biesse shit and getting ready to buy more, but that's me.

4/30/16       #13: Weeke Vs Anderson Vs Biesse Vs Omni ...
Gary B.

Jared,

I'm curious about your view on Woodwop. I really, really like the fact that woodwop resides directly on the controller and I can make quick parametric programs for things...but I don't program solely in WoodWOP. Most of my day to day programming is done in microvellum, then sent to the router as a .mpr file (woodwop file). This allows me to open it in woodwop if I want/need to, make any changes, then run on the machine...99% of the time, I run it exactly as it comes out of Microvellum.

What Version of WoodWOP did you have experience with? Our 2001 Weeke Point to Point has an older interface, which is a bit tougher. Our 1 year old Weeke Router has a much nicer interface in WoodWOP.

5/1/16       #14: Weeke Vs Anderson Vs Biesse Vs Omni ...
Rjm

I have owned a Weeke vantage CNC for 8 years. It runs at least 8 hours a day. I have 25 shop employees. I own equipment from nearly 1/2 of the major machinery groups out there and can say flatly that Stiles Machniery leaves them all in the dust for parts and service when needed. I'm not saying my Biesse, Scm, unique, etc..tools are sub par by any means because they are not--but none of them turn around parts and technicians with the same haste and consistency as stiles. I will admit that stiles service is pricey but none of it cost more than being down.

All of the machines you are mentioning are quality tools. Price is only a small part of the overall equation. All of these machines will thoroughly out produce the capacity of a three man shop--even a 10 man shop. Look closely at the machines weight. Weight reduces vibration which reduces wear which reduces loss of precision over time. Look at the motors...are they high horse power but not "continuous" duty? How are the gantry's built? What about the drilling heads? What size linear guide rails and ball screws are on the machine? What axis are the guide rails on vs what axis are there ball screws?....and why? Is there a touch off probe for measuring tools? Is their adequate vacuum? ask them to give you an in depth of all the routine service that needs to be done by you? These type of things should be considered.

Have you looked into a schmaltz vacuum lift? It makes things 100pct more efficient and better. Guarantees that one man can operate the machine. Best decision I made aside from buying the actual CNC.

With all of this said I would buy the weeke. I can't say I have had zero issues but I can say that it is a serious tool and has done a serious amount of work in the past 8 years. Many times running 12-16 hours a day for 3-4 months straight. We get really busy from July through November every year. Last year I finally added a beam saw...guess which company I went with? (Stiles)--and that is only because of their history of service with my company

Hope this helps

5/1/16       #15: Weeke Vs Anderson Vs Biesse Vs Omni ...
Jared

Gary B: It's Woodwop 7. I think my frustration with it is because I can do the same tasks a whole lot faster using other software. I like to draw my shapes with cad tools, stretching, trimming, copying and skewing as I go, and I've gotten pretty speedy at it over the years. I attended the Woodwop class that Stiles put on, and while the instructor was excellent and the curriculum well organized, I spent a lot of time grinding my teeth knowing I could do the exercises in seconds with a decent drawing program, parametrics and all. Doing them in Woodwop felt like trying to draw with a potato. Not a problem, right? Just draw in your cad program of choice and import the DXF! It turns out the importing process is a long way from being automatic. After assigning elements to the right layers, virtually every cut cycle needs to be modified once it's imported, because the defaults are frozen: draw your shape, import, and then fix the cut cycle to cut on the right side of the line with the right tool in the right direction with the right approach. It can be hundreds of mouse clicks for a complicated part. I'm told by the Stiles people that buying the professional version of the DXF import software can address this, but it seems like a cash grab that they don't send it with the machine. I'll stick with the tools that have served me well.

5/2/16       #16: Weeke Vs Anderson Vs Biesse Vs Omni ...
alex

I've worked with Weeke, Biesse and Fanuc based controllers for 18 years. They all have great support and service. It's really how creative the user is more than the intricacies of one software over another. Most companies have automated cad/cam software to program machines such as Mozaik, alphacam or mastercam. If you want a complete package from one source(machine, support and software) in my opinion for a shop like yours, you should be looking at the Thermwood Cut Center.

5/6/18       #17: Weeke Vs Anderson Vs Biesse Vs Omni ...
Ziyad Member

Homag group(weeke) has crossed 1.3 billion euro revenue in 2017. I doubt a company can get this big without it being the best. I believe SCM is around 630 million usd in annual revenue and biesse is more around 700 million euro. No idea about the felder group.
Homag is around twice as big as biesse.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Suction Cups, Vacuum Lifters, Vacuum Pumps from Anver Corporation ecabinet systems.com Thermwood Limtech Industries, Inc.