Dust Collection

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Dust bags holes

9/28/14       
Tadhg

I have a 2 bag powermatic dust collection system and recently the bags are splitting and busting within a day of replacing them I checked bags for splinters or debris that could cause this but after inspecting the machine i noticed that the dust bags are under lot more pressure than usual and this is causing my problem. Can I turn down the pressure. And has anyone else had this problem. Thanks lads

9/28/14       #2: Dust bags holes ...
Adam

Shake and beat on the filtration bags to knock the dust off them.

9/28/14       #3: Dust bags holes ...
Tadhg

Adam the bags underneath are plastic the cones on top are pleated filters. I take them off every 2 weeks and clean and blow them out with compressed air I just can't figure out what has happened here it seems like there is far more pressure on bags now than when I first got it. And it is literally splitting bags open I am going through 2 bags a day which I can't keep doing as they are not cheap let me know your thoughts. Thanks tadhg

9/28/14       #4: Dust bags holes ...
door shop guy

Are these Jet brand clear bags you are using? Iv never had one blow open on me.

9/28/14       #5: Dust bags holes ...
Adam

The homie dopie contractor bags are dirt cheap and work well on those smaller collectors. I used to use them on a two bagger and then in my cyclone twin 55 gallon drum system.

Its a strange thing that's happening. If you've got pleated filters then you have something like 3 times the surface area of cloth bags. It should put less pressure on the collection bags.

You shouldn't have to take the filters off the unit to clean them. Leave them on and turn down the compressor to 50 psi and blow the dust into the collection bags. Its great that you realize the importance of cleaning them.

I'm a bit stumped. Please have the moderator move this over to the Dust Collection Forum. You will get better answers.

9/29/14       #6: Dust bags holes ...
JR Rutter Member

The pleated filters will load up over time with tiny particles that you can't clean out of the pores. Replace the pleated filters or get yourself some oversized felt or Beane fabric bags and you won't have this problem.

9/29/14       #7: Dust bags holes ...
David Sochar Member

This is like watching people talk about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin! Let's move on beyond the problem.

Look at the time you spend fiddling with those damn bags and step it up. The money your spend, and the hassles you have. How much is it costing you in lost productivity? In mental anguish? In hassle factor?

I had a Powermatic single bagger for a week before I built a central system with a drop box for shavings. I inhaled more dust changing bags than I ever did when I ran without collection. I sold it and it is still in use 25 yrs later.

I rigged up a tightly sealed plywood box and put the Powermatic fan on top, and ducted the cloth filter bag off the side. Had a tightly sealed door to the plywood box and I could hold 3-4 times as much dust. That alone was a huge time savings. It was on wheels so I could move it to a better place to dump it.

I soon stepped up to central dust collection and built a phone booth (remember those?) sized room off the side with a well sealed door and put a cyclone and fan above it, and dropped all the shavings into the room. The floor was the height of my truck, so open the door and let it flow into the back of the truck, or trailer, or whatever.

Add up the time you fool with those bags, multiply by your shop rate out for 5 years, and that is about how much you could budget for improving the situation.

A dust collection should be like the framing to your building - it works, and needs almost no thought - it just works.

9/29/14       #8: Dust bags holes ...
Tadhg

Thanks for all the replys lads first of all I am getting bags from powermatic , second when you turn handle on top of filter some of fine dust collects on bottom ledge of machine. Only air will blow it out lastly. I agree that it is a lot of time wasting but to install a proper duct system would only work for me if I owned the property, but I am renting. Hopefully all going well it will happen some day but what I have now will just have to do I am only a small 2 man shop and will try other options. Thanks for all replys. Lads. I really appreciate it tadhg

9/30/14       #9: Dust bags holes ...
Curt Corum

Innovation or Gimmick

Back in the early 80's I represented a dust collector product line. Their parent company was a leader in cartridge filters for various applications, such as engine and vehicle exhaust. After several years of research and development, the filter cartridge dust collector was introduced for fine dust filtration. The principle was to have the dust exposed to the outer pleats of cartridge where the maximum amount of surface area was located. Air was drawn through the core of the cartridge. Compared to bag filters, the cartridge provided a substantial amount of filter area in a confined space. The units provided as much filter area as a bag house and required a substantially smaller foot print. They were primarily designed for fine, dry dust. A shaker mechanism or air pulse was used to knock off any cake build up. Used properly, the cartridge filter was a major innovation to the dust collection industry. Today, there are many types of filter material and outside wrappers that can prevent cling, cake build up, and even collect mist. I applied several units to toner dust, graphite dust, glass bead dust, and lead dust, just to name a few.

Then, a few years ago, I noticed an ad for a woodworking dust collector company promoting the cartridge filter as an after filter for a cyclone. My immediate thought was, this is a misapplication. A couple months later, I noticed more ads for single stage dust collectors promoting them as a viable replacement for the upper filter bag. To my dismay, it seemed everyone jumped on the band wagon, right or wrong. At first, they were sold without a method for cleaning. I received feedback from customers that had purchased these collectors. Most said the filters were quickly getting clogged due to cake and cling. Within a short period of time, they were sold with an internal brush for cleaning. Then, came the feedback about the brushes. It appeared the cake was forced into the core filter material and clogging the pores. The replacement cost for the cartridges averaged from $200 - $300 a piece.
Some only lasted weeks and the best case I heard of was six months. These were woodworkers that used the collectors on a daily basis. Some guys were using compressed air to blow out the inside in order to use them. In some cases, this was done every other day.

Bag filter material offered today is substantially improved. There are 10 oz and 16 oz polyester felts with singe to avoid cling (1-5 micron range filtration), fabrics that control electrostatic build up, special surface treatments that improve performance, fabrics that extinguish sparks, and so on. The filter bag longevity with today's fabrics can be at least 5 years or more. If the air to cloth ratio and fabric is correct, I am convinced that the filter bag is substantially better than the reverse use of a filter cartridge. Certainly, those hundreds of dollars and hours of labor can be well spent elsewhere.

Curt Corum
Sales Manager
Air Handling Systems

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)