Total Finishing Supplies

Professional Finishing

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Post a Response
The staff at WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at any WOODWEB Forum. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.
Your Name:
Your Website:
Email Address:
Subject: Re: Krystal CV on a exterior table

(read message guidelines).
Note: Do not use the below fields to advertise your business - only for links related to the discussion.
Thread Related Link URL:
Thread Related Link Title:
  To "point" to an image (picture) from another website, provide the URL (Web Address) of the file ( include ONE reference to http:// )
Thread Related Image URL:

Date of your Birth:

Upload a Thread Related File:
File Types: Image (gif-jpg-png-bmp), PDF, Sketchup, Video (mov avi wmv mpeg mpg mp4 ogg). (Image Upload Tips)

I have read the Site User Agreement and agree with the Terms

<= Check to receive e-mail notification of responses

Message Thread:

Krystal CV on a exterior table

2/15/15       
K--J

I have a small table to make for a patio out of mahogony...wondering if i use krystal what will happen? Used the eurox before on exterior doors with poor results. Mahogany doors ended out being painted after a year because the became chalky almost white. hoping to use Krystal. I've always wondered why it wouldn't hold up. Considering marine epoxy if krystal is a big no. Thoughts appreciated!

2/15/15       #2: Krystal CV on a exterior table ...
Leo G

It'll fail, quickly. It's to brittle to withstand the wood changes with the humidity.

EM9300 by Target would be a better choice.

2/15/15       #3: Krystal CV on a exterior table ...
K--J

Thank you for the info. That stuff sounds fantastic. I had never heard of it. Can i spray it with a kremlin aaa?

2/15/15       #4: Krystal CV on a exterior table ...
Leo G

I've only used it once and I put it on with an HVLP. It goes on in 2 mil wet coats. So it takes a few coats to get a build. But it doesn't have a dry mil limit. So you could put as many coats on it as you wish.

When it starts to show some wear you can apply another couple of coats after a scuff and put it on with a spray or brush.

I put it on a door about 6 years ago and it's still holding up. It's in a semi protected area but still fully exposed to the weather.

2/15/15       #5: Krystal CV on a exterior table ...
K--J

Excellent thank you. Really appreciate it

2/16/15       #6: Krystal CV on a exterior table ...
David R Sochar Member

I admit ignorance of the newer hi-tech finishes in exterior use.

However, as a manufacturer of exterior doors, I have settled on Sikkens as the preferred finish when 'over time' is concerned. It is not the winner on the first day, but it looks good on down the road, and the big bonus is that it is designed to be recoated easily. And removed in case it ever comes to that. This is what makes it unique. Just as a good boat varnish is not made to last forever, it is made to be removed and replaced by new finish. Sikkens does not normally need to be removed, but it does need periodic recoating.

The problem with all these bullet proof finishes - epoxy being one of them - is that they WILL eventually fail, and when they do, water gets under that film and so the film has to be removed - meaning a chemical and or mechanical stripping.

The history on this is clear - In the mid 90's, a large California/Mexican/Bolivian company that imported doors into the US came up with a great 12 step furniture grade finish for their doors. However, in time the finish would fail. The costs to remove and refinish on site were often as much as new doors, plus the duration and difficulty of working in a home. They are no longer in business.

Admittedly, this is the long view. I have been making exterior doors for 40 years, and Sikkens is the one finish I can recommend for most situations that involve exposure.

A table will most likely need to be recoated every year if it has much exposure. There is a reason that unfinished Teak is the preferred wood for this use. There is a reason why you don't see Mahogany finished furniture outside. It doesn't work.

2/17/15       #7: Krystal CV on a exterior table ...
RobertJ

Plain and simple: The Sikkens of today is garbage. Older product line was superior to most products. Now: Try Epifanes! Or any European Long Oil coating. Buy from a Marine Supply or Jamestown Distributors.

2/17/15       #8: Krystal CV on a exterior table ...
Tim G

I made a sample door some folks wanted in cypress bead board. I sprayed it with Krystal, then later used it to mount a sign my cousin gave me on my driveway gate.I had no illusions as to how long the finish would last as I live in Florida, which has to be about the toughest environment there is. Much to my surprise, it has taken four years to begin breaking down. It gets little sun though as its shaded well by some live oaks.

2/17/15       #9: Krystal CV on a exterior table ...
Paul Snyder  Member

KJ,

I generally use Matthews 2K acrylic polyurethane for the exterior work I do, but it's not an easy finish to maintain.

Practical sailor tested a variety of exterior finishes a few years ago including 1 and 2 component film forming finishes and penetrating finishes. Their results are published in the article at the link below. Take a look at the comments to the article also - one poster has some additional information on improving the performance of Epiphanes and another pointed out they didn't test Alwgrip which has a stellar reputation.

I'm also attaching an article from West Systems epoxy that discusses the benefits of sealing the wood with epoxy to seal it from moisture and then top coating with varnish to slow the damage from UV from the sun.

As David pointed out, all exterior finishes need regular maintenance (sand and re-coat) before they fail. And durable film forming finishes are difficult to replace when they fail.

Click the link below to download the file included with this post.

EpoxyVarnishCombo.pdf

Practical Sailor - exterior finishes

2/17/15       #10: Krystal CV on a exterior table ...
K--J

Really good stuff guys. I've learned alot!

2/18/15       #11: Krystal CV on a exterior table ...
K--J

Forget target coatings they wont respond to my emails. Customer service is high importance and if they cant try to reel in a prospective client then it's pass for me

2/18/15       #12: Krystal CV on a exterior table ...
Leo G

Jeff Weiss is the inventor of the Target line. He has a forum and answers questions there.

http://targetcoatings.com/forum/

2/18/15       #13: Krystal CV on a exterior table ...
jeff Takac

Hi K-J,

We at Milesi have a 2K solvent base Exterior high performance coating as well as a WB coating designed specifically for this application. Contact me at www.milesi@milesi.us to get the right system for your project.

2/20/15       #15: Krystal CV on a exterior table ...
Jim

Regarding Alwgrip, back in the 80's I worked for a boat company using that product. Boat cost was from 7-25 million dollars. Really no budget or time constraints. 1 year later the finish was falling off.......and it was hundreds of dollars per gallon.....it was beautiful when it was new.....

2/20/15       #16: Krystal CV on a exterior table ...
Jim

Also, we were told (sales pitch) this is the finish used on jet aircraft......

Note: I am talking about exterior bright work (wood trim) not the hull or immersed in the water!

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)