Total Finishing Supplies

Professional Finishing

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Post a Response
The staff at WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at any WOODWEB Forum. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.
Your Name:
Your Website:
Email Address:
Subject: Re: Expensive wooden speaker has ding to lacquer - how to repair?

(read message guidelines).
Note: Do not use the below fields to advertise your business - only for links related to the discussion.
Thread Related Link URL:
Thread Related Link Title:
  To "point" to an image (picture) from another website, provide the URL (Web Address) of the file ( include ONE reference to http:// )
Thread Related Image URL:

Date of your Birth:

Upload a Thread Related File:
File Types: Image (gif-jpg-png-bmp), PDF, Sketchup, Video (mov avi wmv mpeg mpg mp4 ogg). (Image Upload Tips)

I have read the Site User Agreement and agree with the Terms

<= Check to receive e-mail notification of responses

Message Thread:

Expensive wooden speaker has ding to lacquer - how to repair?

7/18/15       
joey v

So I have this speaker that has a small 0.25" ding to the rear corner. It is a crack in the lacquer. The light makes it worse when coming from the rear of the speaker.

How I can fill in the minute cracks under the lacquer? Is there a thin viscosity CA glue that I can just drip from the perimeter and it would soak up into the cracks underneath and make it look less noticeable?

View higher quality, full size image (640 X 360)

7/18/15       #2: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
Jim

That should be a dead easy repair for any qualified touch-up tech.

Or you obtain products from Mohawk and do it yourself. Go on line, they have all kinds of videos to demonstrate step by step.

7/18/15       #3: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
joey_v

Hey Jim -

Thanks for the response!

But which of the mohawk products do I use and even if I try to find videos of how-to, I'm not even sure what to type or search... I'm getting a lot of "crack repair" videos, but this is not a crack or chip into the veneer but simply into the lacquer layers.

Thanks!

7/18/15       #4: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
Mastercabman

If you know for sure that is the lacquer that is damaged
I would lightly sand with 320 or 220 and touch it up with a small artist brush with lacquer
Mohawk makes all kinds of touch up/repair
You can also get aerosol can of lacquer
CAB lacquer even precat

7/18/15       #5: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
Joey

What if it's just an undermining crack? Someone mentioned glue to fill the airspace?

7/18/15       #6: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
Jim

Joey v
Email me your phone number and I can walk you through it. Don't want to type a book.......
Jimknowles00@gmail.com

just jim

7/19/15       #7: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
rich c.

Might be able to use a little lacquer thinner and a small brush. Lacquer melts easily with either thinner or more lacquer. But, unless you put on the lacquer in the first place, it can be pre catalyzed, or post catalyzed solvent based lacquer. Possibly even water based lacquer these days. If they are really expensive, hire the tech guy.

7/19/15       #8: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
Joey

Jim

I will email you my number so we can talk tomorrow, thanks!

Rich

Only reason why I don't want to start messing with the finish by melting the lacquer etc is that I am an amateur and
The speakers cost a lot.

Retail on the speakers are 45,000. I can't screw this up.

7/19/15       #9: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
ted

That looks like something was not sanded off the veneer before finish was applied.
It could have been wet sanded and blended in very carefully.
Does another speaker sit on top of this one?

7/19/15       #10: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
Paul Snyder  Member

Joey,

Finishing and touch-ups take a lot of knowledge and practice. If you don't want to risk making this worse, I'd recommend you find out who is the best touch-up person in your area and pay them to do it. Even among the people who advertise touch-up services there is a wide range of skill - just like every other profession.

7/19/15       #11: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
Jim

Joey
Paul is exactly right, especially at the value of those speakers. You don't need to be learning on that project!
just jim/Las Vegas

7/19/15       #12: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
joey

Hey Ted,

No other speaker sits on top of it. It is very well finished. I did not buy it just yet, I want to be sure it is repairable before I purchase it. The ding is really small and I am sure after I buy it, I might just forget that it's there. Here is 1 speaker from the front. It is made in Italy.

I have included another stain the speaker comes in. Orange.

Trying to decide if it's worth the trouble to try to repair it or just wait and buy a ding-free speaker for a couple grand more.

Both are used by the way. Approx half of new retail price.

Btw, I emailed Jim so hopefully I get to speak to him today

View higher quality, full size image (740 X 987)

7/19/15       #13: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
joey

Here is the other stain...

View higher quality, full size image (1024 X 683)

7/19/15       #14: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
joey

Honestly, I like either stain. But the orange is so classic. If I can find one that is ding-less... maybe that's the way to go.

Unless you guys think that this can be repaired to the point where you can't even tell despite knowing where the lacquer damage is.

I am very weary of refinishing the entire top of the speaker unless I can find a pro do it and guarantee that it will look pristine.

7/19/15       #15: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
Robert Member

joey, what is the speaker Brand, Id like to check out the specs.

7/19/15       #16: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
joey

Folks -

I spoke to Jim over the phone, we came to the conclusion given the depth of the coat and the expense of the speakers that this might be polyester and NOT lacquer. Which complicates things...

Robert -

The speaker is called the:

"Sonus Faber Stradivari"

Current production model.

Retail $45,000.

Considered by many as one of the best in the world.

Of course, while it is not the most expensive speaker in the Sonus Faber line up, it is one of the favorites. It is made in Italy.

7/20/15       #17: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
sean

I have extensive experience with polyester finishes. It is such a durable coating, that when it gets dinged, it usually will pop off the substrate, yet remain intact. When that happens, it turns white. Usually happens at the edges of furniture. I have fixed this many times by using an artist brush and naphtha. you can brush the naptha into the open area at the edge where the finish as popped. This will soak in and "wet" the wood turning it to its original color. Then use crazy glue to seal up the open edge so no air gets in to evaporate the naphtha. You gotta be quick doing this. Easy way to test it is to just brush naptha over the ding and see if it goes away. This sounds unorthodox I know, but I've done this many times.

7/20/15       #18: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
joey

Sean hello

I am glad to see your post. Jim and Paul were quick to point out that practicing on an expensive woodwork is probably not the best thing to do. Are you perhaps in Dallas or know someone good that can do what you do in Dallas area?

7/20/15       #19: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
sean

Unfortunately I am nowhere near dallas. I am in boise. There are other ways to fix that as well that are better than my original post. That was just the easiest, simplest way. It all depends on what you're after touch up wise. You could actually scuff the area, faux paint the touch up using 844 colorants (if you are skilled at that) then cover it with hi gloss lacquer and buff out. That way would look good but still leave a slight haze where the lacquer meets the poly aand of course the touch up would be easily scuff able being lacquer. Another way would be to VERY CAREFULLY chip the damaged poly out, then sand the area until the poly flows into the wood with a smooth transition (no ridge to flake off) then touch up the area color wise (again if you are skilled). Then mask off the piece leaving only the touch up area exposed. Then apply actual polyester using multiple coats until the area is fully filled and higher than surrounding finish. Unmask, sand the area back down to level using 500 grit. Then keep sanding through the grits up to 1200 removing scratches. Then re polish. Also an air polisher won't cut it. You need an electric polisher to heat poly up enough to shine. This way would be a solid touch up, but still leave a "ghost line" to the trained eye. It gets more complicated from there.

8/3/15       #20: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
jim russell Member

if you have a high end furniture store or piano store in your area chances are they got a touch up whiz. I was pretty good in the day but worked with some guys that did magic. or spending full freight for a new flawless speaker. i did not know they made 45k speakers. but no matter how good the touch up your eye will always go to that spot. almost looks like somebody made a attempt a touching it already. like one guy said if you could rub some naptha on it to see if color surfaces would indicate a easier fix. if all else fails call Mohawk for a rep in your area for a recommendation of touch up guy.

8/3/15       #21: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
Robert Member

75% of the cost of those speakers has nothing to do with the components but in the fancy look and the shipping cost. Looking fancy has nothing to do with the reproduction or the clarity of the sound.
The factory specks for these aren't all that impressive for the price.

For a sampling of what wasted money means for a speaker check out Amazon for
Waterfall Audio " Niagra " Diamond Glass Floor Standing Speaker. $ 50,416.47

8/4/15       #22: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
joey

Robert,

The specs on the SF Strads are 20-20. That's a perfect full range speaker. Anything below that and you should really be augmenting with a subwoofer - a good one.

The Stradivari are regarded as one of those classic/living legends. I have heard it and it took what I thought was hi end audio and catapulted it several notches above what I already have.

8/4/15       #23: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
joey

Specs don't tell you the sound quality. That's like saying a girl is 5'7" and you automatically think that's a model.

By comparison, here is my current set of speakers - it will go to the game room and be displaced as the 2nd in line speakers.

Bowers And Wilkins 802 Diamond
http://www.soundstagexperience.com/index.php/equipment-menu/336-bowers-a-wilkins-8
02-diamond-loudspeakers

View higher quality, full size image (3264 X 2448)

8/4/15       #24: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
Jim

This paticular wood worker has had the foolish misfortune to have tinitus ( selfinflicted) so high end speakers are wasted dollars in my case. But for those who can, enjoy!
Simple foam ear plugs would have prevented nonstop 24 hour a day ringing ........I can't tell you how much I would like to have that time over again. .........

8/4/15       #25: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
Robert Member

Just like eyes see different colors...even the same color, hearing is subjective to each person. All I'm referencing to is the foo- foo. The foo-foo adds a tremendous amount of money to the cost and the foo-foo has no bearing on the sound that comes out of the speakers. Are they pretty? you betcha but the prettiness doesn't have anything to do with how they sound. As long as you like em, that's all that counts.

8/5/15       #26: Expensive wooden speaker has ding t ...
Joey

I was able to find the orange colored ones without a ding and am awaiting delivery... I think I made the right choice not getting the one with the ding.

This forum helped me realize the endeavor involved... So because of you guys I was able to make the right decision for me.

Thanks all!!

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)