Total Finishing Supplies

Professional Finishing

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Post a Response
The staff at WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at any WOODWEB Forum. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.
Your Name:
Your Website:
Email Address:
Subject: Re: Staining Knotty pine to match a 50 year old home

(read message guidelines).
Note: Do not use the below fields to advertise your business - only for links related to the discussion.
Thread Related Link URL:
Thread Related Link Title:
  To "point" to an image (picture) from another website, provide the URL (Web Address) of the file ( include ONE reference to http:// )
Thread Related Image URL:

Date of your Birth:

Upload a Thread Related File:
File Types: Image (gif-jpg-png-bmp), PDF, Sketchup, Video (mov avi wmv mpeg mpg mp4 ogg). (Image Upload Tips)

I have read the Site User Agreement and agree with the Terms

<= Check to receive e-mail notification of responses

Message Thread:

Staining Knotty pine to match a 50 year old home

9/9/17       
Luke Member

Ive been do work for a Renewal by Anderson window and door company. The salesmen alot of times say they can do alot more than the installers should do just to make the sale. So when the installer went to a cliets house to replace windows recently, she was wondering why they were not replacing the sills. Never in the contract never should of been done. They ripped them and slopped on some stain! I really dont know how they did it. Looks like they painted it on. Now the guy who should of attempted it or just refinished it because nothing was wrong with them is ME
To keep a long story short and get to the point is that they said they could replace a client window sills in a 50 year old knotty pine log home. Anyways im not to famiar with spraying dye stain, toners and shading. The wood sample im trying to replicate looks like theres shellac. With our pine products we sand to 150, use a vinyl seal washcoat sand , wiping stain, seal, top coat. Stain matches are sometimes light when trying to reach a darker color. I know im not going to be able to replicate a 50 year old board but im not sure if i should use.
Im not to familiar with dye stains or spaying stain in general. Any help with stain process is appreciated. I use wiping, solvent and water based stains with cat laq. CV and 2k polys so im familiar with alot of products. The whole color scheme going on with this match im trying to replicate is confusing. I hope the pictures do justice. There def. shellac. Any advise or ideas on staining process and products im open to try and use. The last washcoat, stain , seal , topcoat was very close but the cliet has unrealistic expectations. Would i get better results from dye stains or spraying stain with pine? Should i tint the washcoat? How much stain do u put in the washcoat or sealer? If i want to spray the wiping stain how much do i thin it and what are my setting for spraying. I use gravity and airless air assited.
Ive never sprayed stain. What kind of spray equipment do u all recommend. Any mixing ratios for tinting washcoats, sealers or stains is appreciated. Thanks

View higher quality, full size image (1512 X 2016)

View higher quality, full size image (1512 X 2016)

View higher quality, full size image (2016 X 1512)

9/9/17       #3: Staining Knotty pine to match a 50 ...
Pete

It looks like whatever your sample was, you may be missing a little red and yellow. And you may add a little green to shift it to brown but the color additions need to be slight. If your samples are shellac that is easily tintable with alcohol dyes added to the shellac. I slight glaze of raw umber may work well also.

9/9/17       #4: Staining Knotty pine to match a 50 ...
rich c.

The big issue matching an old finish is the yellowing in the old clear coat. I spray on a couple coats of orange shellac after the stain. Then whatever clear coat use normally use. Shellac alone is not great if there should be any moisture.

9/10/17       #5: Staining Knotty pine to match a 50 ...
D Brown

I had success by using Amber Shellac on the raw wood first then staining .Basically like a toner ,Good luck.

9/11/17       #6: Staining Knotty pine to match a 50 ...
Tyler

I always find it easier to send out a piece of the wood to my color matcher, and let him deal with the headache of getting the color right.

Otherwise, looks like a 50/50 of fruitwood and cinnamon.

Use an ambering finish/lacquer to help tie it all in, ML Campbell and Chemcraft each have them in precat Lacquer.

9/12/17       #7: Staining Knotty pine to match a 50 ...
Paul Miller

I think there is a lot of good advice here. Except, I have never had good success having a paint store give me a sample. That is probably what the window company did. You need to get a little more orange tint.

Dyes can be interesting to work with. I like using dyes and adding water. If you pre-mist the wood with water, it will open up the grain and it will get darker. After you mist the wood, you have to let it dry of course.

We did something like this many years ago, but I cannot remember what we did. This can be fun. You can match for her.
Make notes.

9/14/17       #8: Staining Knotty pine to match a 50 ...
Pat

I've used Lockwood's water based dyes on knotty pine with good success. Inexpensive, easy to mix and use and very little blotching. The Honeytone Amber color is a good starting point for that aged knotty pine look.

WL Lockwood

9/24/17       #9: Staining Knotty pine to match a 50 ...
Luke Member

Thanks alot for all the feedback. Im not to f. amiliar with dye stains. Very interesting stain process once you start doing the research on dye stains and all the different ways to use them. I have a couple questions about application and stain process when it comes working with dye stains. Are you better off spraying dye stains? What kind of spray gun setup/settings are ideal or easier to use with dye stains? Right now i stain mostly by hand. I do tint my washcoats for darker stains when working with pine and also tint my sanding sealers at times. Not much though. For spraying clears i have a Merkur Graco AAA. Where should i start when mixing dyes with my sealers(1oz per qt/gallon) and how much should i thin them out if im spraying straight dye?
I attached another pic. 2 different stain matches same house. I got off the phone with the customer yesterday and they said that the stain match looks good during the day but not a night! Ive never done a stain match in the dark..lol. Any more advice on how i should tackle this stain process is greatly appreciated.. i went and ordered some lockwood dye stains.
My thoughts were to washcoat it with the honeytone amber tinted shellac mix or just straight dye stain then a washcoat. Not to sure. Stain it with a wiping stain, seal then top coat....??

View higher quality, full size image (4032 X 3024)

9/24/17       #10: Staining Knotty pine to match a 50 ...
Paul Miller

When I have used dyes, I have always found it best to mix the dye with water. We either mist it on with a spray bottle or brush it on. Misting seems best for us. Spray it on and wipe it off. We only use dyes for an under tone. We use an oil base stain over the dye stain after the dye has dried of course. We use Pre Cat lacquers.

I first learned about dyes in 1990 from an old painter. He was introduced to me as the greatest painter in the world and he may have been. I learned more from him in four hours than I can tell.

His name was Steve Davadek and that is probably not the correct spelling of his last name. We were working for an Old Money couple and she had a collection on Navaho rugs with a deep red color. I wanted to use maple for the curling effect and Steve showed us how to put a light brown dye on the maple and then, after it dried, he brushed on Carnival Red oil base paint and he wiped it off. This was still not dark enough. He said, you want it darker? Put the stain on twice, letting it dry between coats. He said, if you use a dark stain on maple, it will be blotchy.

Of course, the color was perfect. From there, we have experimented. Yellow dye under an oil stain on Quarter sawn White Oak and you can duplicate 100 year old furniture.

Good luck and have fun doing it. They will love you for all you do.

9/24/17       #11: Staining Knotty pine to match a 50 ...
Pat

I use the Lockwood waterbased dyes both as a standalobe stain and as an undertone like Paul says. Depending on the dye color, type of wood and the end result you want to achieve, dye alone might not be enough. Some of the "primary" type colors look too monochromatic. On pine, some of the dyes that are a mix of different pigments get absorbed differently in different parts of the grain, and look pretty good all by themselves.

Another thing about dyes is that they tend to look dull and lifeless until you put a clearcoat on top. Play around with different strengths and make your samples with the full finishing schedule - sanding grits, dye, stain, clearcoats, etc.

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)