Total Finishing Supplies

Professional Finishing

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Staining maple

8/1/15       
Tom Member

Quick question folks.
Can a glue size be applied over first coat of stain to counteract blotchiness before applying the second coat??
Cheers

8/1/15       #2: Staining maple ...
Bill Richardson  Member

Better yet, don't stain maple. Switch to dyes. Far more consistent results and far less blotching.

8/1/15       #3: Staining maple ...
Tom Member

Cheers bill.
The issue however is that a stain has already been applied by brush. The brush stroke overlaps are significantly darker than the rest of the floor. Is there any solution to this??

8/1/15       #4: Staining maple ...
jimmy cream

i wouldnt try to fix a poor looking stain that way . my solution would be to sand and re-stain . fix it right......fix it once .

last thing I need is to attempt one remedy after another.....just to end up sanding it all back off anyway .

and why a second coat of stain ?
dont think I've ever needed to do that .

8/2/15       #5: Staining maple ...
Tom Member

the product is a ronseal diamond coat. It's a 2in1 stain and varnish. The manufacturer recommends 2coats but the brush stroke overlaps are horrendous looking.

8/2/15       #6: Staining maple ...
jimmy cream

the answer would be no.....theres no way to fix that . your glue size idea would be adding to the problem.....just more to sand off later .2 in 1 stain/varnish are crap product in my book .

on the bright side.......because the color was contained in the finish coat , it didnt absorb into the wood much at all......this means that all that streaking will sand out quite easily . 120 grit on a machine sander , or 100 if it has to be sanded by hand.........then follow your sanding schedule back up to where you want it .

8/2/15       #7: Staining maple ...
Tom Member

Great stuff. Thanks a mill jimmy. Ya i have come to realise those products are shocking bad.
So my plan is
sand back to bare wood
apply a glue size
Stain with a 'rag on rag off' method
two coats of clear varnish on top

What do you think?

8/2/15       #8: Staining maple ...
jimmy cream

if I were limited to hand application methods , which I assume you are , I would play with .......water-dyes and/or gel stains on maple . water dyes are pretty easy to control , but still may be beyond the scope.........gel stains hardly penetrate at all , and could be applied to raw wood or between coats of varnish ( as a toner ) ......looks pretty sweet actually .

this project being a floor , I would stick to standard practices as closely as possible . re-doing a floor aint no picnic ......meaning I personally wouldnt apply glue size to a floor......not saying its a bad idea ; just that I would explore other options first .

8/2/15       #9: Staining maple ...
jimmy cream

you could also apply a " clear " stain base prior to staining with a pigment stain . clear base is just as the name implies....un-pigmented stain.....it contains only solvents and binder.....no color . this method partially seals the raw wood , usually allowing your regular stain to penetrate evenly . you may need to choose a stain a few clicks darker than what you thought you would need though .

if you're trying to go dark on maple , your best bet is to experiment with dye stains . .

8/2/15       #10: Staining maple ...
Robert

Sand back to wood. Sand to 220...I know further than many would recommend but with maple it's a must. **Pick up Daly's Benite** and apply a liberal coat and DO NOT WIPE off as they recommend. Just brush it on in an even coat and let it dry. Then use a gel stain. General Finishes makes a great one and believe it or not Minwax's gels are good also. Good luck and don't forget the benite. It's a must on maple.

8/3/15       #11: Staining maple ...
JeffM

Sherwin Williams wiping stain is one of the very few stains that I have found works well on maple. You don't need to glue size or conditioner.

9/26/15       #12: Staining maple ...
Dustin Member

I realize that you have likely already solved this issue but thought I'd give you a couple tips for future reference. I've stained hundreds of maple floors and have perfected the methods for doing it flawlessly.. In the event that you ever have a floor like this that isn't flawless mix some mixol or transtint dye to match the color of the stain, then tint some dewaxed shellac for the first coat after the stain. This will even it out..

Now back to staining maple floors. As I'm sure you know a maple floor must be sanded flawlessly to stain.. We have found that ending our process with the lager trio will produce these perfect results. We also palm sand the edges using festool palm sanders. We also don't skip any grits in our sanding progression.. On a typical maple floor we would; drum sand with 60 grit, edge with 60, drum with 80, edge with 80, drum with 100, palm sand with 100 (festool paper- granat works best), then we would trio with 100 grit, trio again with 120 grit.

After a flawless sand job, we water pop using a mix of water and denatured alcohol. We use about 4 parts water to 1 part alcohol. Then we have found that certain stains work very well of maple and that most others don't work well.. The key to a good stain for maple is a thick product; I like Sherwin Williams, General Finishes, or Varthane.. Stay away from Minwax, Duraseal, Bona etc.. None work that great on maple..

We then apply the stain with a buffer. It gets it more even than you could get it any other way.. We apply with a thick white pad, and wipe with a thin pad.. If using the general finishes apply in small sections because it sets up quick..

Hope this can help.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)