Total Finishing Supplies

Professional Finishing

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Trying to solve a problem

9/19/16       
Mastercabman

I have a peeling problem that I'm baffled with
About 13-14 years ago i installed a kitchen for the owner of the cabinet Co that I work for
They got their cabinets from another dealer because what we had did not offered the finish they wanted
Kind of antique white with a glaze
The cabinets are "Starmark" brand
So here is the problem
The paint started to peel off on the doors of the sink cabinet
And some on the face frame
So of course we suspect water/moisture problems
About 6-7 years ago they had someone repaint the doors and it happened again
Then about 2-3 years ago they asked me to give it a try
I took the doors with me and I sanded them down to bare wood
It was a breeze!
After cleaning them and sanded to 150
I primed with clawlock
Then 2 coats of stealth
Glaze them and top coated with Krystal
All MLC
So everything was fine
Until I had to go there today to do some other work I noticed the doors that I repainted are starting to peel again!!!??
Not as bad
It's on the top of the doors near the joints
It's plain wood
The homeowner are very clean and there's a maid there just about everyday!
I have told them to make sure to wipe the cabinets dry when cleaning and the maid is aware
The rest of the cabinets are doing ok
There is a door showing some peeling and it is right next to the sink base
I'm trying to solve this problem for them
Ok I know...it's a water problem but everything is dry around!
Maybe the dishwasher?but there's a cabinet to the left and no water damage
We put a lots of kitchens painted/stained... etc and can't recall a single call about paint peeling off
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

9/19/16       #2: Trying to solve a problem ...
jonathan mahnken

The maids are likely part of the problem. they use cleaners not intended for cabinetry and their method of cleaning is usually to "swab the decks" where thew will get water everywhere then wipe dry at the end. By then water has leaked under the drip lip, down the the backs and front of the doors and soaked into the joints ect... If its a painted finish the center panels need to be caulked in on the face side and if there are any hairline cracks in the joints those should be filled as well. You also need a more flexible finish that will move with the expansion and contraction of the doors. It is likely that the finish cracks after a few expansion/contraction cycles. After that point its only a matter of time before water does its thing.

9/20/16       #3: Trying to solve a problem ...
RobertJ

I really DOUBT the maid is responsible.
The other cabinets would tend to show similar problems sooner or later if the maid is wiping them with water.

Prior to 'refinishing' did you measure the moisture content?

If that is the only door, build a new one!!!

9/20/16       #4: Trying to solve a problem ...
jonathan mahnken

To Rober J. I didnt blame the maids exclusively. Have you ever seen how homeowners and maids conduct themselves around the kitchen sink? its a total slop fest. Even if they are wiping up after themselves water still has time to seep in. and Im actually blaming the type of finish and schedule. If it were an issue with the MC the then you would be able to apply the same logic and say that this should be happening in other places around the room. A large company like Starmark probably built all of those doors from the same batch of kiln dried lumber. I dont know how much finishing or refinishing you have done, but how many times have you seen finish failure, at the sink area, due to improper moisture content of the lumber. And how many finishers have you met who even own a moisture meter?

9/20/16       #5: Trying to solve a problem ...
Mastercabman

Ok
I really don't think it's how the cabinets are clean and/or the product used
I also don't think it's from water splashed
I have seen the maid clean the cabinets before and there is nothing wrong the way she's doing
CV is very resistant to a lot of chemical
If that was the case all of the cabinets would have the problem
I think I might have an idea but I would need to talk to the homeowner and the maid
Maybe I should of mentioned how the kitchen layout is
The sink base is set at a 45° from each side of the cabinets run
To the right a couple fillers making up the 45 turn and then a base 27
To the left a couple fillers to make up the 45° turn then the dishwasher and then a 18" trash can pull out
The trash can pull out is fine not paint lifting
Maybe a little worn edges
So I'm thinking that maybe the homeowner/maid opens the dishwasher too soon after the cycle?
There's always a lot of steam coming out of a dishwasher right after it finishes the cycle
And that could be what's causing the paint to peel
Also the cabinet to the right of sink base is showing a little peeling on the left door
Also the sink base is showing some peeling on the face frame but not behind the doors
More like on the upper/lower corners
I will keep you posted after talking with them
And hopefully that's all it is
Thanks

9/22/16       #6: Trying to solve a problem ...
Willie

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but if it's any consolation I've battled with this same problem for years. I never could pin it down to a certain thing I did differently on jobs that had problems with finishes peeling. It was almost always near the sinks and trash pullouts, so yes you would have to think that water and other liquids, foods, etc. was part of the problem. But there were jobs that never had any problems. I don't think it's necessarily a matter of the homeowners' cleanliness. For example, one of our most beautiful sets was my parents' kitchen remodel. It was only my mom and dad living in their home, so the kitchen wasn't used as much as someone's with say a large family with a bunch of kids. And she has always kept her cabinets reasonably clean and dry. But the finish has failed at the sinks, at the trash pullout, and now I've noticed it's failing on more of the base cabinets. I used post-cat lacquer on these particular cabinets, but I've used both pre-cat and post-cat in the past, and honestly I can't say the post-cats were any more durable than the pre-cats. I've leaned more toward post-cat lacquers, believing that the higher price and shorter pot-life were the prices you paid for a more durable product. But like I said, I'm not convinced of that. (Although I'm also not convinced that the pre-cat was better either.) I've never used conversion varnish because of the extremely short pot life and because touch-ups and repairs are more difficult, at best. But maybe CV is the answer to the peeling finish problem. I'm still looking for answers too.

9/22/16       #7: Trying to solve a problem ...
jonathan mahnken

Since I switched to water based poly and acrylic I have not had a single issue. Twelve years of no call backs has been nice.
It has to do with the customer. Of course they arent going to be sloppy in front of you. My mother, a cabinetmakers wife, is very guilty. She is extremely neat and tidy but cant seem to keep water off the cabinets. Then I have gone back to other customers homes who either dont use their kitchens or are very vigilant about keeping the water off and they look great. and this is with basic lacquer. But like I say since I made the switch to using HIGH QUALITY water based products from bottom to top this is no longer an issue.

9/22/16       #8: Trying to solve a problem ...
Willie

Jonathan, what products do you use?

9/22/16       #9: Trying to solve a problem ...
Mastercabman

Yes Johnathan
What product do you use?
I have tried Mlc waterborne and I'm not too impress with it

9/22/16       #10: Trying to solve a problem ...
jonathan mahnken

Currently I use the Enduro line from General Finishes. Their budget lacquer holds up against water damage better than the agualente from mlc. I have left plywood out in the sun and rain, and the plywood failed and fell apart before the lacquer did. and the coatings just get better from there. I have found the key is to go water based from bottom to top. meaning that you use the wb stain or primer. the stain or primer will actually soak into the wood and then the top coat homogenizes with it so there is less of a chance for the delamination effect.

By no means am I saying that WB is magic. generally speaking it either takes an extra sanding or an extra coat to acheive the same quality look that you may be used to with a solvent based system. And they never look quite as rich, but for kitchen and bath cabinetry I have found that no one is concerned over the added richness of a solvent finish.

9/23/16       #11: Trying to solve a problem ...
Mastercabman

Okay
I have a Woodcraft store near me and can get GF no problem
However how do get custom/matching colors paint?
All they have is white and clear

9/23/16       #12: Trying to solve a problem ...
jonathan mahnken

You can have color matching done directly through general finishes. It will be best to go through them for your needs at first. Then they can place you in contact with an industrial supplier in your area. You will get better pricing this way.

9/26/16       #13: Trying to solve a problem ...
Mastercabman

Well forget GF
My nearby Woodcraft does not sell the professional stuff
And I'm not playing that game of ordering on line for my finishing product
I'm going to try Benjamin Moore/VA paint
To see if they offer a professional waterborne paint

9/26/16       #14: Trying to solve a problem ...
jonathan mahnken

They do, but it will not perform to your standards in regards to dry times ect... What part of the country are you in? There are a few great brands of waterborne. Not just GF. Did you check on GFs website to see if they have an industrial dealer near you? GF doesnt even do online ordering. You have to call them or fax them to place the order and they are very reliable. They ship from wisconsin to southern california for me and have never had a foul up. Their color matching is impecable. But like I say there are others as well. BM makes housepaint. Its is very good house paint, but It dries and cures way too slow to be used in a production environment. I have tried all of their products because I have a BM shop right at the end of the block

9/26/16       #15: Trying to solve a problem ...
Mastercabman

Yes they do have GF but it's the retail/diy stuff
Not professional
GF won't let Woodcraft sell their professional grade products
I can't get SW Kem Aqua also
I'm in Norfolk Virginia
I like to be able to take door/drawer to get color match
I just want to deal with someone locally and so far it's the Wurth group that sells MLC product
They are very close to our business and we get most of our cabinets supplies from them
But I just not sure about MLC waterborne

9/26/16       #16: Trying to solve a problem ...
jonathan mahnken

I too use wurth louis and co. The MLC stuff is not great. Chemcraft waterbased products are good, I get them through EB Bradley co. If you are on the east coast give Target coatings a call, I believe they are in NJ and probably have a number of distributors around you. I used their proucts for several years but switched because they dont have good distribution in Ca. Their products are among the best and are equal to GF products. If I have a matching situation I just slip it in an envelope and mail it to GF. Im sure Target will do the same. Being that close to where they manufacture I really would give them a call, they are great people to deal with and really stand behind their products

9/27/16       #17: Trying to solve a problem ...
JoeW Member

MasterCabMan,

Have you considered ValSpars Zenith waterborne products? You can get them through A&M in Richmond. They do the color match there. I tried it and liked it , but I too prefer to take my color matches in and deal with them in person. The round trip is just too long just for a color match. Their old field rep would pick up and drop off color matches. Haven't been contacted by the new one.

Like you, I have dealt with Wurth in Norfolk for about 10 years. I have only used the MLC Agualente waterborne products from them. Until now I would say the Agualente has been acceptable. Now that they have changed the formula to Agualente Plus, I don't know what to think.

I'll admit, if you have the patience to wait out the longer drying times, the end finish has been very good. I would even say much better. But, The drying time and procedure has changed dramatically. It takes much longer than it used too. The primer is the same, but the Plus is a whole new process.

I was caught off guard with this change, so I was stuck having to experiment with it in order to get a job finished. Now that I have got a better handle on it, I am trying to see if I can develop a finishing procedure that incorporates the longer drying times.

10/24/16       #18: Trying to solve a problem ...
francis

use a vinyl primer under your conversion varnish instead, it's more flexible and more resistant to moisture. the water probably go in the wood from the end grain of the door or some micro crack and it swell the wood which make you finish to peel off. Another option is to use a 2k poly with a isolante as a under coat. that system is very durable and more flexible but more expensive.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)