Total Finishing Supplies

Professional Finishing

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Kem aqua issue

12/8/16       
John B Member

I just started using Kem aqua plus pigmented on a job and after spraying my second coat have pinholes forming (not fisheyes) that don't seem to want to level out. Any ideas or has anyone else seen this and figured out a cause and solution. Have a call into my rep but no response yet.

View higher quality, full size image (3264 X 1836)

12/8/16       #2: Kem aqua issue ...
Mark B Member

How thick are you spraying? That looks extremely thick but hard to tell from a photo.

12/8/16       #3: Kem aqua issue ...
RobertJ

What primer did you use? And, what sequence did you follow: Primer, wait 2 or three hours, sand completely (what grit?) and then topcoat?

Need more information.

12/8/16       #4: Kem aqua issue ...
John B Member

Mark, it's about the recommended 4 mil wet. Any thinner and it doesn't flow. I'm surprised how fast this dries, much quicker than any other water based I've used. I did see my air supply was not as dry as should be, so I've drained, blown out and added new desiccant to that with some improvement. Also wondering about adding the R6K25 extender that is mentioned in the product lit. I also saw in another post that low humidity can cause issues and my shop is very dry right now.

12/8/16       #5: Kem aqua issue ...
Shane

Make sure you reduce with distilled water and not tap water..... I usually add Propylene Glycol 10-15% as a reducer/retarder... it has helped tremendous with kem aqua for me..... I'll tell you that thinner coats have the least problems to and with fairly high atomizing pressure

12/8/16       #6: Kem aqua issue ...
John B Member

OK, primer was water base Bin as my SW primer order got held up for delivery and schedule couldn't wait. Dried overnight, sanded with 320, shot first coat of kemaqua at 5pm that day. Sanded w/ 320 this morning, everything looked great. 2nd coat started showing pinholes right away so I stopped. I suspected air contaminant so checked compressor and lines. I did drain some water from compressor and changed desiccant in dryer, blew air threw lines and used a new hose to aaa. This helped. I also tried thinning with 5% water but didn't seem to help any. I've played with air pressure and fluid pressure which also helped. I'm using a 313 tip on my CAT aaa, but SW rep suggested trying a 311 tip. I'll try that tonight.
Shane, do you get the Propylene Glycol from your SW dealer? The spec sheet says to use Butyl Cellosolve, but not sure about quick availability.

12/8/16       #7: Kem aqua issue ...
Nick

I've had that exact same issue this summer. a average summer day where I live is 90+ with 20% humidity and it was drying faster then the products ability to flow out...or so l guessed. Now with temps down and humidity up in my neck of the woods the issue the issue has disappeared...for now. I found a through scuff between coats helped some but didn't stop it. I suspect Shane has the answer.
I get a product from SW called M-1 latex paint flow enhancer, it contains mostly propolyene gylcol with some other ingredients, that just might do the trick.

12/8/16       #8: Kem aqua issue ...
John B Member

Thanks for all the info Nick. Tried my 311 tip tonight and must be it didn't get cleaned good enough by whoever used last..... no flow at all. Just ordered a new one. I'll see about the flow material.

12/8/16       #9: Kem aqua issue ...
Dan

That is why I won't use WB. Try real lacquer like resistant.

12/9/16       #10: Kem aqua issue ...
JoeW Member

John B

The 313 tip was far to big. I have sprayed waterborne for 10 years. I use a CAT AAA. I suggest you get a tip that has the pre-atomizer in it. CAT refers to them as a F tip. Different as night and day.

I use MLC Aqualente now, but I have used others. All spray much better if thinned to 35 to 45 through a Ford cup. Also I have found that the 409F tip works best.

No air movement across the item until the finish has skinned first.

12/9/16       #11: Kem aqua issue ...
Denny J

I sprayed KemAqua for the first time this week after years of gf poly and aqualente. I had lots of issues with flow out and runs using a Merkur AAA and .411 tip. I sprayed the cabinet doors hanging with the fascap door hanging clips so I could spray both sides and by the time I got it so it would flow it would get runs. I ended up turning up the air pressure and down the fluid pressure from where I normally set them for WB finishes and that helped but obviously left me with less build per coat. That being said it did lay down flat and looked very good.

The primer they sent me is their WB surfacer and it's really thin as well. I'm not as impressed with it and would like another option.

12/15/16       #12: Kem aqua issue ...
Denny J

I have been playing with their water based surfacer and Kem Aqua pigmented topcoat and to me they are not very good products to spray on site which is common for me.

I was getting looks like that from my AAA that was set up to spray general finishes products and when I sprayed vertical surfaces I could not get it to lay flat or avoid runs. I ended up dropping the pump pressure about 20 percent and increasing the air pressure about the same. This helped but still gives too many runs on overlaps that I never have to worry about with other products.

I talked to the rep and his answer was that it is a production finish and not geared for what I do. I will say it looks fantastic on things I spray laying flat but I might be too old to want to go through the learning curve and will go back to general finishes.

12/15/16       #13: Kem aqua issue ...
Nick

I've found Kem-Aqua is a lot more user friendly when using a pot/gun set-up as opposed to a pump. In the shop I've been spraying the clear and pigmented with either a Sata 1000k 1.3 needle/nozzle connected to a stainless steel pot or a Devilbiss Compact gravity gun with a 1.3 for the clear and a 1.4 for the pigmented. On site I've been using a 4 stage turbine connected to a Accuspray 10 gun with a 1.3 nozzle for both the clear and pigmented and getting very good results.
I should also add I am not a WB only shop so for clears when in the shop l spray a coat of SW vinyl sealer on first and this really improves the look and feel of the Kem-Aqua finish coats. For the pigmented in the shop l use either Bin pigmented shellac or Kem-Var CV primer/surfacer, both of these products will give you a ideal surface for your top coats.
On-site in a occupied home, l'll brush on the bin shellac on any mdf then spray on the WB primer/surfacer. I don't get quite as good results this way but still very acceptable.

12/15/16       #14: Kem aqua issue ...
Denny J

Good info Nick. I have a turbine with a 10 gp gun that I tried but I believe the tip size I am running is bigger. I will give that a shot.

1/14/17       #15: Kem aqua issue ...
John Hartman Member

When I used to experience pins holes the cause was off gassing from the previous coat. So if you sanded/scuff sanded prior the final coat (you should be for the proper mechanical bond) then that "dry" surface is now re-expose and needs to dry a bit further before you cover it again with more wet product. So sand everything put it back on the drying rack and get some air movement going.

1/16/17       #16: Kem aqua issue ...
nick

John, thankfully that's not what's going on here...it really is a flow/surface tension issue and not a micro-bubble/off gas issue and once again, Shane has the answer; light, thin coats and if that doesn't work add some propylene glycol also a good even scuff between coats helps too.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)