Total Finishing Supplies

Professional Finishing

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

VERY UNIQUE SITUATION AND NEED HELP

6/3/17       
Mike

Hello fellow woodworkers. I'm in a very unique situation

I'm waiting for approval from the president of an association for a building I'm looking to buy a shop within for the following reason:

He said a few years back, a wood shop blew up, just blocks away, so he, along with other members of the board really don't want a woodworker to move into the building

The issues are really with the profession of the two would be next door neighbors

One- A welder, sparks all the time
Other- repairs compressors

The association pres is very nervous, especially considering the one business creates spark and we all know what can happen with flam chems and sparks

I don'y think this would be such a huge concern, except the fact is, there aren't block walls between. It's drywall with insulation.

Now, i will have a spray booth monitored with the fire dept and the required three sprinkler heads in the booth

So my question is as follows:

Is there a coating I can apply to the drywall walls to either prevent or help prevent the fumes/offgassing of the chemicals penetrating through and hopefully ease their intentions. If I can do this, im certain they will say yes and then the final negotiations can happen and I'll own my first shop

Thanks and pls provide links and any experience with the products

6/3/17       #2: VERY UNIQUE SITUATION AND NEED HELP ...
Pinetree

I never heard of a coating on drywall to stop fumes only to make it fire proof . If you're trying to stop the guessing off fumes after you spray you would need an enclosed spray booth such as they use an auto body shops and have replacement air so that the fumes to be exhausted to outside .

6/3/17       #3: VERY UNIQUE SITUATION AND NEED HELP ...
Paul Miller

A wood shop "Blew up?" I really find that hard to believe.

I own a Commercial Condo and in the Association By Laws, any tenant has to be approved by the Association. The Association By Laws have a non compete clause and also, businesses that cater to Adult content or drug items are prohibited.

Provided that your business does not fall into these categories, they must approve the purchase or tenant or the Association must pay the lost rent. I would suspect that your Association has similar By Laws. I would get a copy of the By Laws.

Even if the separation wall is not block, it will be 5/8" drywall on both sides which will give you a three hour fire rating.

I would get the owner involved, maybe call the local Fire Chief and ask for an inspection. As for the Compressor repair business, it is illegal to weld a compressor tank as a repair so there should not be much risk of welding from that business.

I have had OSHA in my shop and every few years, I get an inspection from the local Fire Department. There is really very little risk of fire or injury in our industry. Dust and the possible long term effects of dust are the primary risk.

Good luck, it is a benefit to own your own building.

6/3/17       #4: VERY UNIQUE SITUATION AND NEED HELP ...
rich c.

With a properly sized spray booth, and keeping the fan running during outgassing, what fumes do you have building up? I'd say the association is in trouble if the barrier wall between any two businesses is not fire rated. Ask them about the fire rating of that wall, and certification from a city fire inspector. I'd say it's a statistical improbability to get a correct buildup of fumes to get an ignition on the other side of gypsum board wall. Just because you could smell it, doesn't mean it will explode. Ignition requires the correct proportion of flammable plus oxygen plus ignition. You can safely spray sparks into a pan of gasoline. But let the vapor build up above or around the pan, and you get a different story.

6/4/17       #5: VERY UNIQUE SITUATION AND NEED HELP ...
Mike

Thank you to everyone who has responded. You have all provided feedback that allow me am opportunity to consider different avenues.

As long as I'm using my booth, I can't imagine why the sparks from the welding company on the one side would even matter.

I'm not exactly sure what the compressor company on the other side exactly does.

Now I cross my fingers and 🙏🏻

6/4/17       #6: VERY UNIQUE SITUATION AND NEED HELP ...
Adam

Mike,

There are different kinds of drywall. In residential houses we typically use 1/2". In our area the building code mandates fire rated 5/8" on the wall of an attached garage. Its in case of a car fire. Likewise the Garage door that leads into the house must be fire rated gypsom core.

I don't think a coating will help. More wall board will. One of my friends hangs commercially. I remember this job where he had to hang two layers of 5/8" in an elevator shaft. The first layer had to be taped no top coat.

6/4/17       #7: VERY UNIQUE SITUATION AND NEED HELP ...
Mike

Adam,

That. Brings an interesting point

Is it (3 hours per layer)? If i can only do an extra layer on my side, would that technically give me (6 hours)?

If allowed, would i be better off putting a secondary layer on each side?

Also,

Is there a (fire resistant) insulation?

6/4/17       #8: VERY UNIQUE SITUATION AND NEED HELP ...
chris

just curious. why don't you find a different building if the association is so fussy.
never know what they will demand next.

6/4/17       #9: VERY UNIQUE SITUATION AND NEED HELP ...
Mike

Good question Chris and here's why

The owner of this building is willing to finance. I just went back to full time self-employment last may, since 2008. I don't have the w-2's to substantiate getting a mortgage, so this is a perfect opportunity for me.

It's a 2,000 sq ft shop and for my note, taxes and assessments to be about a grand a month, I can't touch that anywhere

6/4/17       #10: VERY UNIQUE SITUATION AND NEED HELP ...
Adam

Mike,

What's in the wall doesn't really matter. The fiberglass insulation is designed not to burn anyways. If the studs are wood they obviously catch on fire. If the studs are steel and they see high temperatures then they lose their heat treatment(much of the strength) and fail.

If you are hell bent on making it work: Offer to rehang the walls. Put up another layer of 1/2". First find out what's on it currently. The type is on the back. Get him to pay for the material and you hang it. The sheets can go vertical because the old sheets were horizontal. You can go either or on the 2nd layer.

Use stud adhesive on the middle of the sheet in dobs. Only screw the perimeters. Put a few screws in the center to pull the sheet down until the stud adhesive drys. 2 coats of compound. He can pay you to do the topcoat if he wants it done perfectly.

6/4/17       #11: VERY UNIQUE SITUATION AND NEED HELP ...
Mike

Adam,

This is ALL on me, because I'll be BUYING the building, not renting. If i were renting, id say screw it and find another place

So if 5/8" has a rating of 3 hrs, would it follow in sequence that 2 sheets would be 6 hrs of fire rating and is there a certain type of drywall that is specific to being fire rated or is all 5/8" that way?

6/5/17       #12: VERY UNIQUE SITUATION AND NEED HELP ...
Rodney Worley

I think the point has been missed as to the real concern which is dust. Any dust that migrates into the walls, settles on rafters, heaters etc is the danger. We have take great pains to insure our offices are dust free yet still have to remove drop ceilings and clean out the dust on occasion. I want to add a metal shop to my operation but will not do so until I have constructed a separate building on my lot away from the woodworking operations. This risk is too great. All it takes is something like a little thunder knocking some of the settled dust loose causing a dust vapor that finds a spark from the welder and the percussion knocks all loose dust in the air and you have an explosion. I value my and my employees lie too much to risk that.

6/5/17       #13: VERY UNIQUE SITUATION AND NEED HELP ...
Steve

2x4 wall 16" oc studs with 5/8" type X drywall both sides = 1 hour fire rating. Adding a sheet to both sides increases it to 2 hours. Three sheets per side MAY increase it to 3 hours BUT it must be tested. See drywall manufacturer for fire wall test data.

6/10/17       #14: VERY UNIQUE SITUATION AND NEED HELP ...
Mike

The real question here is if the divider walls are truly fire rated walls, that means all the way to the deck,proper materials,
all penetrations caulked with fire rated caulking, etc. I have personally seen fumes from 5 gallon bucket of contact cement seep down inside a steel stud wall, and then explode and blow the 5/8 board completely off both sides of the wall and catch the 5 gallon bucket of a contact adhesive on fire. I am certain that is what happened as I was the one who started the chop saw that caused the explosion,from at least 20 feet away from the wall. So the threat is real...Be safe.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)