Sawing and Drying

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Advice on sawing different cedar species for air drying

1/26/15       
Lee Member

I am a novice to the art of sawing and drying my own lumber, and I've tried to do extensive research on the topic before posting but still find myself with some questions.

My main problems are sticker staining and discoloration of sapwood, and mildew.

I have been sourcing urban logs from friends who do treework, and when I have a big enough pile I've hired a sawyer with a bandsaw mill to cut them for me. This past summer leading into fall I had approx. 1,000bf of cedar sawn, (western red and cedrus deodora). The Deodar is not a well known species to many woodworkers since it's not native, but was and is a popular ornamental tree and as such it is available in the urban settings I've been sourcing logs from. It has very aromatic heartwood and is quite rot resistant, so i like to use it for siding and decking.

I followed good stacking and stickering protocol (I think?) and let the wood airdry outside during the shoulder season where we still have some nice sunny days mixed with wet ones...(covered from the rain, in the shade, and with fans on it to keep air moving) before moving into a greenhouse to finish off...this brought the MC down to 15% or less now which is sufficient for using as exterior siding and decking. Unfortunately there was quite a bit of mildew and pretty severe "sticker stain" and other sapwood discolorations, primarily on the deodar. The ends were treated with anchorseal, and I had very little loss due to checking or warping.

I've just got several more logs, of the same 2 species, and would like to see what kind of advice I can get on my options for sawing and drying so as not to repeat my mistakes, the sapwood discoloration being the most troublesome. I also wonder about letting the logs set around for 5 months, and if this would also cause the discoloration issues.

I live in the wet part of Oregon, so it will likely be very moist here for the next 5 months. I'd like to avoid the expense of kiln drying the wood, but am skeptical about air drying anything outdoors this time of year. Even if I keep the stack covered from rain, there is often heavy fog and dew that wets anything it contacts.

I have the option to air dry in a covered, but unconditioned barn, but am still concerned about mildew. I could stack in there, but would fans be enough to keep molds at bay and dry it fast enough?

I've listed possible options below, and hope some experts could chime in on what they think my best option to dry the wood is:

1. Mill the logs now (January) and immediately kiln dry.

2. Mill the logs now, stack outdoors to air dry, (with or without fans)

3. Mill the logs now, stack indoors to air dry, with fans.

4. Wait till late spring to mill the logs, then air dry outdoors during summer. (this may not be an option since I am storing them on a friends property with the agreement that I will deal with them in a timely fashion....)

Thanks for reading the long post, and hopefully for helping out!

1/28/15       #5: Advice on sawing different cedar sp ...
Gene Wengert-WoodDoc

3, 2, 1

If you want the odor to remain and be strong, then you need to avoid drying over 85 F.

Oregon State university may have some information that can be helpful especially for Cedrus deodara, commonly called deodar cedar. I have no info about processing this wood.

One particular problem with western cedar, Thuja plicata, is that the butt log can contain bacterial wetwood that is very difficult to dry without defect.

2/12/15       #8: Advice on sawing different cedar sp ...
Eric

How far off the ground are you stacking the lumber? Right on the ground, or are you getting it up in the air? I've been advised and have found that stacking higher dries the lumber more quickly.

Do you fans run all the time, and how are they oriented to the wood (and in particular, the stickers?) Air drying doesn't need active air flow here in PA, but sounds like you have a lot of moisture in the air. Make sure air is actually flowing through the stack, and that the stickers aren't preventing it from reaching the inner most part of your stack.

How thick is the lumber? Thicker lumber requires more drying time, since the moisture needs to migrate out through more layers of wood fibers.

Do you start with pre-dried stickers, or are you using stickers cut from the same material?
Dry stickers are best. If you start with green stickers you'll get staining in all but the most stain resistant species. When I cut stickers I stack them in a "crib" and leave them dry out for a few weeks before I use them.

How thick are your stickers? They should be 4/4 to assure that moisture moves quickly out of the inner parts of the stack.

Most folks stack layers of wood with edges touching, which is usually OK. When you're pushing air through a stack with fans, etc. the tight edge stacking helps to keep the air moving through the whole stack. But you might need to leave some gaps between yours to help moisture migrate out.

Not sure if you are, but I won't cover the wood directly with plastics. Moisture can't get through that. I use stickers or build a peak of some kind on the top layer and use metal roofing, or other rigid, roofing materials to shed rainwater and keep it out of the stack.

And how tall are your stacks? I keep mine to 4-5' and put 4x4s between them (right over the stickers) to allow for a large air gap between the stacks.

I think you will be OK if you stack in a barn, but is the flooring dirt, or gravel, or is it concrete? Is it well drained around the outside, or is the rainwater just dripping on the ground and seeping inot the immediate soil? Moisture will come up from the ground and can slow down the drying rate. Again stacking the lumber up higher off the floor can help dry it more quickly.

Also, avoid stacking where rain splash will spread mud onto the lumber. This will cause rot as bacteria in the soil attempt to convert the wood back into dirt.

Best of luck,

Eric

2/18/15       #9: Advice on sawing different cedar sp ...
Lee Member

Thanks Eric and Gene for your helpful comments.

I've milled the wood already and currently have 2 different drying scenarios going on. The larger 2" slabs are stacked on pallets in the barn, with a large fan blowing parallel to the stickers, from the side. The boards, 1-1.5", are stacked and stickered on a trailer outside at the moment since the weather is good. When it starts raining again, I'll back the trailer into the barn. I used well dried port oford cedar stickers, 7/8" thick. I'll be checking for mildew and stain and moving the fans as needed.

I think one of my problems last time was that even though the piles were covered, they were covered with plastic to keep rain out(the top and front and back were covered, with sides open to allow fans to blow through) and there were fans, it was in a very wet area and some heavy storms blew rain in from the side and perhaps the plastic was preventing the air from circulating as good as it could.

Time will tell how this approach works for me, I keep learning something new every time.

Thanks!

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)