Sawing and Drying

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

wheelchair motor wiring for auto feed

6/11/16       
revid Member

I just bought a invacare wheelchair motor with controller and joystick for an autofeed setup on my bandsaw mill but dont know where all the plugins go.I uploaded some pics hoping someone to have a look at. Anyone using these motors?Using just one?

View higher quality, full size image (640 X 480)

6/11/16       #2: wheelchair motor wiring for auto fe ...
invadon'tcare

Sounds like a bad idea - both an auto feed on a band saw and tearing apart a wheelchair without taking notes.

Does anyone use that? Invacare does.

But seriously, how difficult a problem can that be? It's not as if the plugs can be plugged into the wrong socket.

Best of luck.

6/11/16       #3: wheelchair motor wiring for auto fe ...
Revid

A lot of guys are using them and they do work. Not tearing apart a chair, for some reason it was already done. Bought on eBay and as for plugs , no brainer to plug into one another if you have both sides. Controller into motor was simple as looking at it, it's the others Iam wondering about

6/13/16       #4: wheelchair motor wiring for auto fe ...
revid Member

Just an update....got the plugins plugged together.just have to hook up to batteries when I get them.

6/19/16       #5: wheelchair motor wiring for auto fe ...
ROD HAYS

Don't no much about yours,but this is how I set mine up . first video of how I buit the power feed and the other one is a video of it finished and working

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH-i16w2

6/19/16       #6: wheelchair motor wiring for auto fe ...
ROD HAYS

And it works,12 volt power feed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH-i16w2F7I

6/19/16       #7: wheelchair motor wiring for auto fe ...
ROD HAYS

Looking closer at your pictures I see what looks like a heat sink that runs from the 24 volt motor. I don't believe you will need the heat sink because the feed on the mill would not be running anyway close as long as on a wheelchair under load. So I would not use that and cut the plug off at the motor and run those wires to the motor switch.

6/20/16       #8: wheelchair motor wiring for auto fe ...
revid

got the motor working,had to use a vehicle headlight as a resistor in place of the other motor.The control box wont let anything work if it doesnt "feel" the other motor. Trying to figure a way to replace the headlight now with some sort of resistor.Nice setup Gord,I tried the motor/controller setup like you suggested and for some reason it wouldnt work for me. I fried the speed controller.As long as I was travelling fast it was good but as soon as I slowed down to a crawl the controller was smoked.

6/20/16       #9: wheelchair motor wiring for auto fe ...
ROD HAYS

Sounds like the problem is in the control box. I would bypass the box and wire stright to the switch.

6/20/16       #10: wheelchair motor wiring for auto fe ...
ROD HAYS

Now that I think out it you need the control box to control the speed. looks like you need the wiring schematic. Might need to find what kind of cotroler you have to find it.

6/20/16       #11: wheelchair motor wiring for auto fe ...
Revid

Thanks Rod for input and in my previous post it was you I was referring to .Dont know where I got Gord from. Lol
Speed control is on joystick at least that's where knob is but don't know if I can bypass control box

6/20/16       #12: wheelchair motor wiring for auto fe ...
ROD HAYS

The wheelchair control probably has a lot of stuff in it that has more than just forward reverse and speed. It has steering and brakes and other stuff. Trying to figure out what goes to what to bypass to get the thing to work on a sawmill might take some time. On my setup I only have 2 wires to deal with to make it work. All you need it to figure out where to speed control is at and run the wires from that to the motor . Also you will have to figure out where the forward and reverse wires and hook those wires up to the speed controller. I also see the motor is 24 volts which looks to mean you will need a 24 volt battery to run the motor. Might run on 12 volts bout I would think that would mean you will have half the power on the motor.Link below you could use for a speed control.

Link

6/20/16       #13: wheelchair motor wiring for auto fe ...
ROD HAYS

here is a switch you could use for forward and reverse. But therm in a box and you will be set to go to the 24 volt motor.

Link

6/20/16       #14: wheelchair motor wiring for auto fe ...
Revid

Got two 12 volt batteries all ready to go that's no big deal. Figured if I could match the resistance of the lights to a resistor I would begood

6/20/16       #15: wheelchair motor wiring for auto fe ...
ROD HAYS

I would guess the resistor is built into the wheelchair controls to control the speed of the motors. I see no need to add any thing for resistance To slow the motors down the resistor just lowes the volts and amps to the motors.

6/20/16       #16: wheelchair motor wiring for auto fe ...
Revid

I want a resistor to take the place of the other motor. The computer won't let anything happen cause it detects that there is only one motor hooked up which is all I need. By hooking up the lights or a resister it fools the computer into thinking that there's two motors and it's ok to go.

6/20/16       #17: wheelchair motor wiring for auto fe ...
ROD HAYS

Okay,got it. Just run those wires over to the motor you have already and hook them up all together. That should fool the computer to think there are 2 motors hooked up.

6/20/16       #18: wheelchair motor wiring for auto fe ...
revid

yeah I ran the wires from the lights and it fools the computer but I would rather have something else like a resistor instead of the lights shining.Hope this all makes sense. I have to find out what the sealed beam is and try to match to a resistor

6/20/16       #19: wheelchair motor wiring for auto fe ...
ROD HAYS

looks like adding a resistor will use battery power and does nothing but to fool the computer. But if you want to go that wat just get some resistors and add or subtract them tell you have it running the way you like. I'm guessing the headlight would be about equal to a 2.6ohm resistor.

7/24/16       #20: wheelchair motor wiring for auto fe ...
Lester Gillett Member

Rod I have been thinking about adding a
power feed to our mill. I see you have a link to a speed control and forward
reverse switch. I have a car window motor
and think it might work. May have to add
a gear or drum to move the head. I think
I would use a wire or rope for the drive.
Do you think that might work?
Lester

7/24/16       #21: wheelchair motor wiring for auto fe ...
ROD HAYS

Lester, I think a car window motor wont work because it is a lot smaller when a wheelchair motor. But I could be wrong.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)