All Listings Gallery Guidelines

My shop made Tenon Cutter for the tablesaw

Listing #33   Listed on: 05/05/2011

This how I do tenon cuts in my shop. I primarily build large doors & windows so M&T is the joinery I use the most. You'll see that the tenon sled I made has other uses as well. I use to pre-cut the bottoms of the stiles when I'm doing a door that'll receive a "Auto-sweep". Very helpful.

(No images available for this Shopbuilt Equipment listing.)

Viewer Comments:

Posted By: Cy     [06/02/2011]

Bob, That's some fantastic thinking! How many people said you "can't do that"? Great work!

Posted By: Zen Kavak     [06/06/2011]

Investing in European stile mortiser and using floating tenon made of baltic birch plywood complitely takes care of any mortise-tenon application in woodworking.
Plus it is the strongest one, according "Fine
Woodworking".
ZK

Posted By: Bob Schilke     [06/06/2011]

I understand that the baltic ply loose tenon trick works well. I just can't believe that it's stronger that an actual tenon that's part of the rail. Will it support a 10' tall x 5' wide x 2 1/4" thick door? Let's say @ the top of the 3' tall window setup on the 10'' tall door? Are you able to do a strong tenon that'll hold up to daily use? Everthing relies on that stile & the rails meeting it. Can you actually allow for equal movement with plywood? I don't think it wise to use a loose tenon made of plywood for large exterior doors. Most definitley for interior or well protected doors @ standard size. If you look at the tenon pic you'll also see how well it works out for assembling the doors & keeping them weather tight. I also use exterior rated adhesives such as Structan, Excell, Titebond TII. Then I peg them as well. And yes, I egg the holes before final assembly. I do like the plywod idea, though I don't own a slot mortiser, just a little HC type that does everything I throw at it.

Posted By: Zen Kavak     [06/07/2011]

With dementions of stock you using, Ican put 4 tenons in the same joint, you using one, it takes so little time with "slot" mortiser. And give incredible strong joint, when it combine with cope-n-stick. Make this tenons a hair thicker, then press them in metal vise, put inthe mortises with glue and they will swell providing joint of inredible quality. Respectfully, ZK

Add your comment (* denotes required fields):
* Your Name:
* Your Email:
  * Enter your comment below:
*Enter the correct numbers into the field below:
  I have read WOODWEB's Site User Agreement
  (Submitted comments may be edited for clarity)

Date of your Birth: