Solid Wood Machining

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Post a Response
The staff at WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at any WOODWEB Forum. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.
Your Name:
Your Website:
Email Address:
Subject: Re: Custom shaper Knives Protruding Slightly Above Head

(read message guidelines).
Note: Do not use the below fields to advertise your business - only for links related to the discussion.
Thread Related Link URL:
Thread Related Link Title:
  To "point" to an image (picture) from another website, provide the URL (Web Address) of the file ( include ONE reference to http:// )
Thread Related Image URL:

Date of your Birth:

Upload a Thread Related File:
File Types: Image (gif-jpg-png-bmp), PDF, Sketchup, Video (mov avi wmv mpeg mpg mp4 ogg). (Image Upload Tips)

I have read the Site User Agreement and agree with the Terms

<= Check to receive e-mail notification of responses

Message Thread:

Custom shaper Knives Protruding Slightly Above Head

10/15/16       
V Member

Please see attached photo describing my question..

I have been learning to custom grind shaper knives lately. Simply hand grinding to custom templates. I am using M2 1/4" steel and a steel 3" tall x 3.5" diam. cutter head.

I have read that it is not advisable to protrude the knife above the head, but am wondering why? If I was able to, I could custom grind my own panel raising profiles to lay the stock flat on the table rather than against the fence.

Has anyone seen or heard of this setup? I would assume it is perfectly safe as far as breakage is concerned, and that the guideline is simply the manufacturer trying to avoid liability for people extending the blade much further than this.

Thoughts?

View higher quality, full size image (1596 X 749)

10/15/16       #2: Custom shaper Knives Protruding Sli ...
Pete D

Based on your image the projection above the cutter head wouldn't be the issue. The concern would be how far out the knife projects from the side unsupported. I've done exactly what you're trying to do, the difference is I had knives ground for a 3/4"x8" coping disc so more of the knife was supported where it projects from the side. I can post an image when I get back to my shop. I'm sure Someone with more expertise on knife grinding guidelines will chime in, but you might want to consider going with thicker corrugated stock, like 5/16".

10/15/16       #3: Custom shaper Knives Protruding Sli ...
D Brown

Typically the profiled part of the knives protrude beyond the collar or head not above.
If you ground a knife with the RP profile oriented to cut the panel face up and make the knife long enough it works fine .
In my experience face up produces the most consistent panels to fit your groove , even if there is a slight difference in panel thickness they will all fit .
I have been grinding knives for my own use for 30 years or so and honestly the RP is nothing I'd recommend , why not use a safer cutter , maybe one piece 3 wing .

10/15/16       #4: Custom shaper Knives Protruding Sli ...
V Member

Pete D:

I did not show it or draw to scale, but the knife protrusion beyond the head would NOT exceed 3x the knife thickness, or 3/4". Having the cutting edge above the head slightly was wanted for exactly this reason; to get away with a wider profile while not violating the 3x width protrusion. I thought this would open up a lot of options while keeping all of my steel stock 1/4". Even if I did go to 5/16" thick stock, I could still only do 15/16" to the side, which is not enough for most RP profiles.

D Brown:

Is there a specific reason you know of to avoid protruding above the top or bottom of a custom head like this?

Also, I had not thought about running panels face up. I always thought that panel thickness variation would cause fit issues. You say that this is not a problem.. Is the benefit less chatter?

10/15/16       #5: Custom shaper Knives Protruding Sli ...
Pete D

This is the 8" coping disc & knives. I bought the coping discs for long tenons and used the profiled knives to experiment with extra deep cove in panels for passage doors.

View higher quality, full size image (3024 X 3024)

10/15/16       #6: Custom shaper Knives Protruding Sli ...
V Member

Pete D, that looks very nice! Where was this head purchased?

Also, I see that you have the knife protruding just a bit above the head, as I was asking about.

I am guessing my biggest concern will be (if using my taller 3' head) to switch to a top up RP cut so that there will be less side stress on the spindle.

10/15/16       #7: Custom shaper Knives Protruding Sli ...
Pete D

I had forgotten, that disc is actually 9" and has a cutting depth of ~3.75-4" with the knife projection. That's a dangerous cut, I was pushing the envelope with that one and don't recommend trying it unless you have a massive shaper & feeder and going very slowly. I posted the image so you could see an example of a corrugated knife using the top edge to cut with. I can run that head in forward or reverse depending on how I want to feed the panel...face up or down. Those are coping discs sold by CGG Schmidt and I believe they've got 7"/8"/9". They're not inexpensive and unless you simply want to grind your own knives and experiment with profiles, I think D Brown's suggestion of the fixed three wing cutters is a good one. Would also agree that keeping the cutting forces lower on the spindle is always a good practice.

10/15/16       #8: Custom shaper Knives Protruding Sli ...
Russ

V
I have attached a link to some options that might work better than what you are currently illustrating.

I agree with what D Brown is suggesting a 3 wing raised panel cutter head.

FYI: when you purchase the steel make sure the corrugations go all the way to the top of the steel so you can lock in the cutter head correctly. Some wider steels have a smooth flat surface before the corrugations begins, this would be an issue.

All the best
Russ @ MR

http://www.cggschmidt.com/store/the_innovators.php

10/15/16       #9: Custom shaper Knives Protruding Sli ...
V Member

Russ:

Thank you for the link..

I have already been buying my steel and head from them over the phone! I did not know about this option..

For the cost $270, and $60 for blank knives, this is a no brainer over trying to do something that is not advised.

I will get the jr, as I am just getting started with all this, and only do (and plan to do) up to small kitchen jobs as far as cabinetry goes. I have a 3 hp Grizzly shaper.

Thanks again everyone.

10/15/16       #10: Custom shaper Knives Protruding Sli ...
Pete D

Glad Russ guided you to the right cutter head. The coping discs are too big for a 3hp 3/4" spindle and aren't designed for raised panels. I adapted mine for the extra long cove cut I couldn't get with a standard size panel raising cutter head. Here's a good article and video on knife grinding:

http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2010/11/26/grinding-custom-shaper-kniv
es/

10/18/16       #11: Custom shaper Knives Protruding Sli ...
JeffD

I bought an Innovator head several years ago and it's been great for doing raised panels. Being able to grind your own knives is handy. However being able to order a fairly good variety of patterns off-the-shelf is the real benefit for me. Plus you can get them in carbide which is great if you do mdf panels as I do occasionally.

good luck,
JeffD

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)