Solid Wood Machining

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Experienced noob needs molder selection advice

4/6/16       
Tim Mann Member

Aloha friends at Wood Web

I'm a professional wooden boatbuilder who just crossed the line into making my own boat lumber because of the rising price of low-quality lumber that's available. I need advice on a molder from someone who is experienced with them. Here's how I'm set up:

1. 9-ton Pitman 900 truck crane, CDL, crane operator's license.
2. Free logs from local arborist companies; they charge the customer for hauling them away, I pick up $2-5,000 worth of logs for some diesel and my time. I've got about 100,000 bf in the front yard in logs from 24 inches diameter (that's a small log here) to 54 inches diameter.
3. New Mobile Dimension "128" 230V 3 phase electric rotary saw (cuts cants up to 8-1/2" by 12-1/2"), with hydraulic infeed and outfeed tables and stacking.
4. Heavy-duty vertical 36-inch resaw bandmill with 10 hp 3 phase motor, using 4 inch stellite-toothed blades with 1/16" kerf, and a hydraulically-driven carriage system with return and lumber handling built-in.
5. 5 hp 3ph 24-inch grizzly thickness sander
6. 150kw new Cummins diesel genset to power all this

I'm on the Big Island of Hawaii. There's a LOT of good boat lumber here: eucalyptus of many species (eg: saligna, citradura, think Honduras mahogany), teak equivalents, cypress, and so on. I expect to run the mill about 2 days a week making lumber and veneers for my boatbuilding business.

The resaw produces lumber that can almost be sanded to a final finish with 80-grit, so running it through a planer or molder next is easy and fast. Rather than get a planer, I'm thinking about getting a molder for my S4S boatbuilding stock, which I need in three or four standard sizes, and which I can run 20-40,000 lf of at a time to economize on labor and setup costs. I'd probably need to run this much every 8 weeks or so. But this doesn't keep the molder busy much of the time.

There is also a lot of high-end construction: $5-25,000,000 custom homes. And there's only ONE guy with an old Mattison molder who is absolutely overloaded on flooring orders and doesn't even bother making custom moldings from local hardwood. So I see this as an opportunity to keep the mill running with 1-2 employees full time (my son Victor one of them).

We'd make custom flooring orders and molding orders from local hardwoods for local high-end contractors to keep the mill busy, and NOT STOCK ANYTHING. It is possible for us to be competitive here because of the incredibly high cost of shipping to Hawaii, which adds $2-5/bf to the cost of anything made on the mainland or in Asia and shipped here.

My wife and I have had 12 different small businesses over the last 40 years, so we know what we're doing, how to finance, expand, and run numbers. This looks good to us, and remember, we need the mill and some kind of S4S planer anyway to make our boat lumber. From my reading so far, the Weinig 22N looks the best to me; although I'm comfortable with old cast-iron equipment like the Mattison 276, I'm a diesel mechanic and fabricator.

Here's what I need help with:

A. What make and model of molder would you recommend, and why?

B. Would you recommend 4-head, 5-head, or 6-head, and why? (lots of discussion about this on the forums, yeah?).

C. And finally, who is it safe to buy from who won't give you an old brokedown wornout piece of klunk while saying it's lightly used? Or how can you set up a sale so you don't get cheated?

I'm willing to come to the mainland, check out several candidates, then crate and ship the winner myself (after running it and checking all the wear points) if that's what I've got to do. I've got to ship it to Hawaii, and that's going to be $2-3k right there on top of the sale price. so can only do this once. (Maybe I'll just make the crate a little bigger and take an ocean voyage to save plane fare!)

So, thanks in advance for whatever great advice you have to offer (even if it's "you should get your head examined"!)

Aloha, Tim Mann...........

4/6/16       #2: Experienced noob needs molder selec ...
Russ

Hello Tim
First of all you're not crazy.

Make or model is strictly your choice, although I think the machine you mentioned is a great machine.

I would go with a six head moulder, it will pay for itself over time, but price is always a deciding factor, nothing less than five spindles would be my opinion.

Take into consideration you will need all carbide to mill the exotics that are on the Island. I set up a machine there many years ago near Honokaa they made this critical mistake and did not realize the cost of carbide.

I have some trustworthy contacts if you're interested my contact information in on my website above.

Good Luck Tim
Russ @ MR

4/12/16       #3: Experienced noob needs molder selec ...
rich c.

I have no idea about the islands, but logs from arborists around me are filled with metal. If you get urban trees, get some good metal detectors. When I started milling urban logs, I really gained a lot of respect for that rack of clear lumber at the hardwood dealer. I sure made a lot of low grade lumber. But for flooring, no issues. Shouldn't you start shopping for a kiln a long ways before a molder? Sorry, no experience with a molder, but lots of other experience. I also hope you have other income, because it's going to take a lot of time and money to turn that pile of free logs into cash! Good luck!

4/21/16       #5: Experienced noob needs molder selec ...
James Member

Hey Tim!

I too would recommend getting a six head machine, definitely a well spent upgrade! We have had really good luck with buying a few used machines from Ex Factory.

Good luck! James

Ex-Factory Link

4/21/16       #6: Experienced noob needs molder selec ...
David Waldmann  Member

The 22N is a good platform. Your challenge is finding one that's not worn to shreds.

Definitely at least 5 heads.

Did you ever run a rough board through a planer - once on each side? That's what it will look like on a 4 head machine. Never mind the hype about the first bottom (only bottom on a 4-side) being a "jointing" head. Ok, it will be a little better than the 2 passes through a planer, but not a lot. If you look at that 2-pass board you'll see the second side is better than the first. In the old days we would run stuff through the planer 3 times, best/worst/best faces. This is what you get with a 5 head machine.

As to 6 or more heads, make sure you have real application for the 6th+ head. Our last machine is a 6 head and I don't think we'll buy another one.

One other factor to consider is HP. I'm assuming a lot of the wood you have available will be pretty hard. Most smaller moulders (22N class) use the same motor for both side spindles. If all you're doing is D4S that's fine. But if you are doing any serious profiling, the default base motor (usually 10HP) won't cut it.

Personally I would buy a new Weinig. If you're going to be able to keep it busy, it will pay for itself, you get factory installation, training and warranty, and easy parts availability.

Again, assuming a lot of your materials will be hard and potentially abrasive, get hard chromed bed plates, and plan on as much carbide tooling as possible. Disposable insert for all the repeat stuff.

If you decide on a used machine, not only go look at it yourself, but hire a Weining tech to check it out too. By the time you pay for all that, you really should just buy a new machine...

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)