|Home » Forums » Solid Wood Machining Forum » Message||Login|
You are not logged in. Consider these WOODWEB Member advantages:
Brand new Steff feeder getting hot5/19
Just purchased my first power feeder, a Steff 2048 single phase. After running it for maybe 10 minutes continuously, I was surprised to find that it the heat sink was to hot to hold my hand on for longer than 5-10 seconds.
Could this be normal? Do these things need to break in? I had it cranked about 3/8" lower than the 3/4" hard maple it was feeding through a shaper with a cabinet door cutter. I was running it on one of the medium speeds.
Try only about 1/8" lower but yes the motors do get hot.
They generally run hot for you?
I called the supplier, they said it didn't sound right..
I have a solid 240 v at the outlet for it..
I ran it for 5 minutes in neutral, and it started to get warm again, so must not be the transmission..
I am just wondering if I should take it out to the motor shop and have them look at it based on this.
I usually run mine for anywhere from 15 min. to an hour and a half and sometimes i forget to turn one off because of all the noise and i later i will start to smell a burning smell and know its a feeder running. I have 7 Steff feeders and have never had a problem with any of them. They can take the abuse. I have no idea if you have something wrong with yours.
Mine run warm/hot as well.. Like the door shop guy said when it gets left on for a while accidentally it defiantly hot...
I will follow up with the supplier, but good to know this may be somewhat typical.
They (J&G Machinery) are saying that is not right, and want to send me a new motor..
J&G is a very very good company!
Did you check the amp draw on each leg of the line voltage?
They do seem to have excellent customer service!
I got the same 4.8 amps per leg.
J&G were very helpful.
They had me measure the case temp at different locations and for different times. They then tested one of theirs and found the results to be nearly identical.
These feeders do run warm!
Told ya. LOL Thats what i do is make motors hot! LOL
Wow, what a read. Several feeders in the shop, many have run for 8 hours continuous and I cant say Ive ever smelled a "burning smell" or even found one to be hot. Ive suffered the loud shop, forget to shut off the feeder, syndrome for likely an entire day or more (til the last DC is shut down) and have never come across a hot feeder or smelly feeder. I'd be super concerned about any machine in my shop that ran that hot for doing such little work (idling because I forgot to shut it off). Yikes.
Ive run the guts out of our feeders and never smelled a thing.
Mark B, any Steffs?
Nope, no steff's. Today for instance a 1Hp feeder ran non stop for 8 hours on the tables saw ripping 4/4 rough FAS red oak molder blanks. It wasnt quite endless board ripping but it only got short breaks, a minute or two at most. After reading this thread I continually kept putting my hand on the motor checking it throughout the day. Never more than slightly warm.
I wouldnt say ripping is the biggest workout but at high speed its as much work for this feeder as panel raising or cope and stick and it never got even super warm, and I have never smelled a burning smell.
We have a comatic af34 and a 44 and this is was the 1hp Pm 3 wheel which is the clone of the af 38
I suppose the Steffs just run a bit warmer. JG tech guy said they make the motors quite small, causing them to run on the warmer side.
Just glad to know it is common, and very happy to finally have a feeder; my arms would get destroyed every time I had a big project.
For sure. Cut quality, tool and blade life are a major Improvement too.
We have a couple Univer feeders that have been used for years. On the slow feed of the gear box they run pretty hot. On the higher speed not so much. No idea why but they have a lot of miles on them and no problems so far.