Veneer

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Troubles with the New Unibond 800 Formula

11/21/12       
JAM

My shop has been happily using unibond 800 on our vaneer projects for many years now, but recently the formula has been changed, and we are getting unsatisfactory results from the new formula. We are able to peel the vaneers right off of the substrate after it has been in the press for many hours. The photo shows that we have good glue coverage, and how easily the vaneer was pulled off. Is anyone else having the same problem with the new formula?

Or does anyone have any suggestions for a new product for us to try?

View higher quality, full size image (448 X 268)

11/21/12       #2: Troubles with the New Unibond 800 F ...
John Van Brussel

Are you pressing this at 70 F or warmer? Also are you sure the mixture is correct?
Is your core at room temperature or is it cold?
You may also want to check your bag for leaks.

11/21/12       #3: Troubles with the New Unibond 800 F ...
JAM

I can tell you that it was 79 degrees when we did the pressing in that photo. The ratio of the mix was set for a slow set up time. We are measuring the resin and hardener by weight, and we used 7 oz of hardener to 105 oz of resin, which complies to the 1 to 15 mixing ratio for a slow set.

Our vacuum tables are working just fine. We actually just replaced the gaskets in our table and we are getting better seal than we were before unibond changed their formula. Not exceptionally better, but better.

The reason we have been using a slow set up time is because we were having problems with the fast set up time and shelf life. We were finding that as the resin got older it was setting up before we could finish spreading it. At that point we stopped leaving the resin out in the shop environment and started storing it in the fridge. At first we were not letting the resin return back to room temperature before we were using it. We had problems with adhesion then, but then we started bringing the resin out the day before we were going to press and we are still having the same problem.

11/30/12       #4: Troubles with the New Unibond 800 F ...
Bob

Switch to Pro Glue dry resin UF, comes in powder that mixes easily with water, has a low formaldehyde content, very long shelf life since its powder, and it's less expensive, at least from the west coast. Haven't had any problems after several years of use.
Bob

1/23/13       #5: Troubles with the New Unibond 800 F ...
Earl Kelly  Member

I will second Bob's recommendation of Pro Glue. I really like their White/transparent version. The glue is white but in glue line thickness it's practically transparent. Perfect for maple and other light woods.

1/23/13       #6: Troubles with the New Unibond 800 F ...
John Van Brussel

We also sell a powder plastic resin that dries dark brown but can be tinted with titanium dioxide to lighten the glue.

Also another tip for new Unibond 800 full cure is 48 hours. It doesn't have to be in the bag that long that is just the point at which you will have the strongest bond.

Product Link

10/26/14       #7: Troubles with the New Unibond 800 F ...
Steve Price  Member

Several problems with the new lower formaldehyde (4% to .04%) Unibond 800. Partial sheet lifts as well as entire sheets,
no matter what the backer or substrate.
Double mixing, variations in the ratio, glue
in refrig. as we are in Fl., heating pads,and
the local medicine man chanting as we
roll out the glue.
I am done with what was the best veneer
glue I have used after 35 years. I paid the
price with water base and checking-once
cost me $ 42,000.00 to reveneer an entire
media room. Went back to the Unibond
and I am looking for better. Resorcinol
may be the answer, but 14 hours to set is a long wait, even with 3 or 4 vacuum bags
full time.

11/27/15       #8: Troubles with the New Unibond 800 F ...
B.H. Davis Member

I'm reviving this old Unibond 800 thread to see if there is any improvement in the situation.

Are you folks who had trouble still using Unibond 800 but with improved results or have you permanently switched to something else.

Thanks for the input.
BH Davis

10/16/20       #12: Troubles with the New Unibond 800 F ...
Wayne Valzania Member

Hi,

Found this thread while looking for a repair solution for de-laminating Unibond 800. I'm new to laminating but after 45 years of woodworking I have a solid background with glues and glue-ups. I'm fabricating a rift sawn oak veneer entrance for a 125 year old commercial building. Not having done veneers, and as usual, I jumped in both feet, spent hours and hours boning up on veneers, bought a new, very serious vacuum bag system, and, using Uni-Bond 800, went at it. I'm very precise in all aspects of my work (digital readouts on saws, planers, etc) so I am using a gram scale for mix ratios. I'm applying 1/18th" thick veneer on cabinet grade plywood roughed with 80 grit on a Festool Rotex sander. I'm getting a lot of de-lamination on glue ups that are days out of the press. They look fantastic coming out of the press. I'm suspecting the Unibond and seeing the photos others have posted, it seems plausible. First question is someone else's opinion as to why, and the second question is can these panels be saved with a hot iron or some other method? Thanks for any light that can be shed on the problem.

View higher quality, full size image (1500 X 2000)

View higher quality, full size image (1500 X 2000)

View higher quality, full size image (1512 X 1512)

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Sponsors

Become a Sponsor today!