Veneer

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

Veneering in the 3rd world

3/16/13       
Westsailor Member

I am a better than average 'DIY'er underway on a project replacing a few panels on a sailboat in Guatemala. The original 1/2" ribbon mahogany plywood had suffered dryrot over the years (the leaks causing the dryrot have since been repaired).

Mahogany plywood is currently non-existent in Guatemala so I thought to import some WOW ribbon mahogany veneer and apply it to the 1/2" plywood panels being replaced. The largest panel is approx 3' X 4' in size.

Adhesive selection here is limited. It's might be possible to find some over the counter 3M spray on adhesive but other than that it would be limited to water based 'wood glue' types.

I originally intended to use contact cement but after reading the pro's advice here not to use it I'm really hesitant to proceed.

Now I'm considering a 2 part polyester "epoxy" resin with plywood sheets as a press weighted with dead weight.

Any advice on increasing the chance of success on this 'in the field' job?

3/18/13       #3: Veneering in the 3rd world ...
Charles  Member

As a sailor I would say the only hope you have is epoxy. Contact adhesive in the sun will hot hold for long. 3M 4200 or 5200 are really not for large surfaces. Try to get a WOW 3-ply that is 3/32, it holds it's own flatness and should work good with epoxy. Borrow all the clamps and cauls you can and put something over the veneer at least 3/4: thick to spread the pressure. Remember that with epoxy, too much pressure in not good.

We can make the 3-ply for you but I'm not sure how you would get them from here. Maybe someone in Central AM. can make them for you.

FYI, I have 2 sailboats and there is no wood on either ! No accident. Beautiful boats are great to look at, but too much maintenance ! (there is a woman analogy there somewhere)

3/20/13       #4: Veneering in the 3rd world ...
Mike

I think that you should be able to put together a vacuum bag for clamping.

I have read articles where people have put bags together from plastic shower curtains. You should be able to find a surplus vacuum pump somewhere. Venturi pumps will work with a compressor, and they are small enough to mail in an an envelope.

Take a look at this site for some ideas, on veneering and vacuum clamping in general. The pump I use is put together from his plans, and it works very well.

Vacuum Clamping

3/20/13       #5: Veneering in the 3rd world ...
Westsailor Member

re: vacuum system. I could probably get my hands on the brass fittings but that's about it. When I say 3rd world I'm not joking.

I have the following adhesives available:
Grade 'B' contact cement
3M '77' All purpose spray adhesive
PVA wood glue
Polyester resin (2 part)

I'm looking for a long term adhesion. Indoor but 'high' (80-90%) humidity environment.

My plan is to apply the veneer using a block of wood to smooth (middle to edges). Then sandwich the veneer/substrate (plywood) between two sheets of plywood with dead weight distributed evenly over the surface for oh 24 hrs.

Advice? Suggestions?

3/21/13       #6: Veneering in the 3rd world ...
Jim Baldwin  Member

As a Guatemalan cruising sailor, I don't think you need to make a "federales" case out of this. I suspect (given your latitude) that Epoxy and vacuum bagging might be a bit expensive or impractical?

So what would Practical Sailor advise?

I think I would just roll-on the Titebond 2 or 3 and lay-on the veneer. I'd stack my panels between plywood culls and and shovel a foot of dry beach sand over the whole thing and "call it a day".

(Solar shower bags also make great water-weights and provide added heat.) I'll bet you have at least a pair somewhere? I do.)

Unless you're planning to anchor over a submerged, active volcano and submerse your Westsail into boiling sea water, the Titebond should be adequate . You can also press and smooth your Titebonded veneer into position with an electric clothes "Iron" (provided you have electricity).

If you're still not sure you can always use powdered plastic resin. (Mix well with an old eggbeater for no lumps)

3/21/13       #7: Veneering in the 3rd world ...
Charles  Member

Well, there is a lot of options here. I would go epoxy. No matter, if you have a shop vac available, you can use that as a vac pump. My shop foreman did it as an experiment and it worked. Just hook up the vac end hose to a bag or in your case, lay a pc of plastic/ vinyl over your work and duct tape it in place around the outside edges. That will seal it. Once the air is out, you will have 15psi.

3/21/13       #8: Veneering in the 3rd world ...
Westsailor Member

Hmmm... now there is a thought. I have a small (2 1/2 HP) shop vac and plenty access to plastic/vinyl sheeting. It certainly sounds easy/cheap enough to at least experiment. Thanks for the idea.

Two part polyester resin is readily available and relatively cheap ($30/gal). True epoxy resin is available and not so cheap ($100/gal). I would estimate I would need no more than a quart.

3/21/13       #9: Veneering in the 3rd world ...
Mike

I agree with the recommendations to use epoxy if it is at all possible. I don't know if you have access to any plastic resin glues such as WeldWood. A quart of that in the US is about $10.00

The shop vac will produce about 5-6" HG (mercury) of vacuum. This is less than optimal, but it may be better than trying to stack dead weight on top of the panels. Not sure where the 15 PSI figure came from.

1 Atmosphere at sea level typically = 14.7 psi or 29.92 HG

6 Hg" / 29.92 Hg" = 0.20053

14.7 psi X 0.20053 = 2.94" PSI of downward pressure.

I would be more inclined to build a screw type press with cauls. I don't know if you have access to any threaded rod. This would produce enough pressure to let you use PVA (tightbond) if you had to.

3/21/13       #10: Veneering in the 3rd world ...
Charles  Member

The 15 PSI (aka 14.7) was based on removing the air from the bag. When the air is out, That's what you get. You are saying that we can't remove the all the air with a vac. Frankly, I don't know. I would say that what we did with the vac was as powerful as one of our big pumps, just slower. We have 6 vac pumps here from 3 to 10 HP. so we have a sense of what it takes. However, we did not have a vac gauge on the vac cleaner. For the project in question, putting down a this wood 3-ply is really a cake walk in terms of pressure, lot's easier that using raw veneer.

3/22/13       #11: Veneering in the 3rd world ...
John Van Brussel

I have veneered a skateboard deck using a Vacuvin hand pump. These are used for resealing an open bottle of red wine to keep it fresh. It worked fine and the skateboard deck is still holding together today 8 years later. I know a lot of boat builders use the sheet of vinyl and tape it to the hull and then draw the vacuum. Sometimes you cannot take the hull apart.

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)