Veneer

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

mahogany veneer not bonding to substrate

1/12/14       
kerry pyle Member

I have tried 3 different softening and flattening methods, and two different types of glue, ultra cat and better bond cold press in my vacuum press. The samples come out great, the project is a loss of more than 700 to me at this point. I can't figure out what is going on. Bubbling, edge pull up, and it gets worse the longer it sets. I have never had this happen on smaller veneer projects. Does anyone think my pressure is not sufficient for larger items at 9,000 ft elevation? Pulling approx. 19-20 hg. 5.5'x3.5' half crotch mahogany veneer over mdf substrate.

1/12/14       #3: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
david

Kerry,

Has the mahogany crotch been "two plied", or are you using the single sheet veneers? It is advisable to have the crotch two plied by a veneer face maker. This will take dimensional stability out of the equation.

1/12/14       #4: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
kerry pyle Member

I am only using single layer veneer, all wood, as I have always done with my smaller projects. Do you think my larger project has to much tensile forces for the glues to bond correctly without a double layered veneer?

1/12/14       #5: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
Tom E Member

Kerry,
Does your lay up have a bubinga border and a crotch mahogany center? The reason I ask is you mention the edge is pulling up. Is the bond only failing on the edges?

1/13/14       #6: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
John Costin

I feel your pain, Kerry. Can you be very specific about the flattening/softening techniques you have used? I suspect the problem might be there.

John Costin
Veneer Services Unlimited
vsu@gwi.net
207-985-7221
Custom Veneered Products for the Woodworking Industry

1/13/14       #7: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
Ezra Drissman  Member

What substrate are you gluing to.

1/13/14       #8: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
John Costin

Ezra -- OP Kerry states MDF substrate.

1/13/14       #9: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
kerry pyle Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. My softening method I tried first was exactly down to the tee of Scott Groves Advanced veneering. 3 parts distilled h2o, 2 parts pva glue, 1 part glycerin, 1/2 part alcohol, 1/2 part acetone. Second try was just straight up super soft 2. Third try was a combination of the 2. All the platens were pressed in a vacuum bag. Next go around I am leaving them open air with platens sand bags. None of my methods left the sheets super flat or leather soft, still pretty brittle to work and tape at this point. Thanks, I got to get more veneer on the way soon...

1/14/14       #10: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
Tom E Member

Kerry,
Are you not going try to save your $700.00 investment? Tom

1/14/14       #11: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
John Costin

I haven't read Scott's book (though I have seen some of the pictures -- Wow!) so I don't know what procedure he gives; also, it's been about twenty years since I've used the homebrew softener. We use GF-20 from Veneer Systems, but I'm guessing that Super Soft is the same stuff or pretty similar. In any case, I think they all rely on glycerine for the softening action.

When we use GF-20, we thoroughly wet each veneer leaf and allow the liquid to flash off (about 1/2 hour, I believe). If using a cold press (such as a vac press), you would then want to sandwich the veneer between two good flat cauls (3/4" MDF minimum) and press overnight. Forget about "a couple of cinder blocks and some plywood" for pressing -- you need more force. We don't usually put paper between the veneer leaves, but with the homebrew I think you would need to use paper to keep the PVA from gluing the leaves together. After flattening the leaves you usually have a day or two to press your veneer before the effect wears off. Sometimes it never wears off, go figure!

Is that what you are doing?

Other thoughts:

Is the Super Soft diluted properly? GF-20 has to be diluted and if it is not it can interfere with bonding.

Is the veneer dry enough after flattening? Too much moisture left in it and it isn't going to bond.

Is your Ultra Cat fresh? Again, we don't use this product but it looks like a powdered urea resin glue which is a good choice for this project. However, that type of glue has a relatively short shelf life. This is personal preference, but I like Unibond for a cold-pressed urea. I would not use a PVA like the Better Bond for a crotch -- not rigid enough (buy me a beer and you can ask me how I know this...).

Are you leaving the panels in the press long enough and at a high enough temperature? Even cold press glues have minimum working temperatures, and urea needs a baseline to kick off the chemical reaction.

Lastly, you are using a platen or caul on the veneer, right? You can't have the bag push directly on the veneer and expect this to work.

If you answer these questions I and the others on this forum will try to help you work through this.

Best,

John

1/14/14       #12: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
David R Sochar Member

I'll ask the obvious - What is the temperature of the shop, materials and glues? At 9,000' and Winter, that may be a problem. I can't use any PUR type glues unless we are 72 degrees or higher. Even 65 degrees will give failed bonds.

1/14/14       #13: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
Charles  Member

Just a couple of reminders:

You need to dilute GF20; if you mix your own softener, you don't want to add too much Glycerin.

You need to dry the treated material to 6-8% MC under pressure. We use a hot press to do this and check with a moisture meter. You can use paper to absorb moisture, some people use flake board in between each sheet.

Try a sample before doing the whole project.

1/14/14       #14: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
kerry pyle Member

I warm my shop up in the mornings of glue ups to 72 to start the acclimation process. After cutting and taping the veneers, a minimum of 4 hours elapses before I start to mix glue. Any other day or night the veneer room is a constant 64. I am trying some theory's on another small test piece this weekend with the ucat.

1/15/14       #15: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
Charles Member

Adding to what David said...

During the winter months, in addition to bringing the shop temperature up to above 70F, I also use an electric blanket on top of the workpiece while it is curing. If it is really cold, I add a comforter on top of the blanket to keep the warmth from escaping into the shop air. It can get quite warm (90F+) in there. This also accelerates the cure time for the Pro-Glue that I use: a win-win.

I have a flip-top press, so I also sometimes heat up the table with the electric blanket ahead of time. If I was using a bag I might consider wrapping the entire bag with the blanket once it was under vacuum. (I'm not sure about this, though. I have never used a vacuum bag.)

I have been taught that once an attempt is made to cure the glue when the pieces are too cold, there is no recovery. The glue will never cure no matter how long one waits.

Also, note what David asks. "What is the temperature of the shop, materials and glues?" It is not enough that the shop and glues are warm enough. If the materials are too cold, the glue will get cold once it contacts the materials. It may be overkill, but I acquired an infrared thermometer just for checking my veneering projects. (I have use the IR thermometer for a variety of other things since as well.) The cost of one destroyed project was much more than the thermometer. There are some online for less than $20.

1/15/14       #16: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
David R Sochar Member

Charles and I are thinking alike. I also have an IR thermometer to see what temp things really are. It is handy for all sorts of things - bearing temps, motor temps, the temperature of door finished surfaces - and glues.

I agree that if the glue gets chilled-short term cooling for just a few minutes, it will affect whether it cures/bonds.

And ditto on the electric blanket. we use a bag and platen and laying the blanket over the layup in the bag, and then a packing quilt or two really accelerates the Pro-bond, with no shortcomings.

I believe any veneer bond issue I have ever had is due to temperature.

1/15/14       #17: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
Rich C.

You gave us an idea what the air temp is in your shop. What are the material temps? MDF core temp doesn't come up that quickly.

1/16/14       #18: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
kerry pyle Member

Thanks guys, it is tricky veneering when my wood shop is -10f when not working in it, and my veneering room kept at a modest 64f. I took your recommendations and ordered an electric blanket and a ir thermometer. I was using a digital thermometer placed right on the substrate, but this may have been the missing link. I can not bring myself to keeping a 75 degree room temp., to costly. Going to try some experiments in the next couple of days. ps. a $700 loss is big, but that would be about two months expense of bringing one room up from 64 to 75.... I will let everyone know how my tests came out.

1/17/14       #19: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
Jeff Hilber  Member

I have the advantage of coming in later and reading the responses. Sounds like glue starving. The substrate is eating up the glue or not enough to begin with. MDF is okay for the substrate if you haven’t removed any of the original hardened surface. Wiggle wood is notorious for soaking up the adhesive.
And you might be transferring some bulges or wrinkles from the flattening process that aren’t over coming the glue line.
I have posted my “homebrew” flattening solution somewhere else on this site, sent to me by Frank Pollaro. It doesn’t have acetone, nor as much water and has never caused a failure, even when damp, upon pressing and this is what removes the stress. All cross banding does is help prevent cracking in the face veneer when veneering on solid wood.
The big adhesive difference is I only use Titebond I. I know, I take a lot of crap from other furniture makes about it, but non-toxic, easy to repair or reposition, easy clean-up, perfect results every time.
Look at my posting of the Games Cabinet #2835. In all the years, that was my first crotch layup. Notice the crotch in the corner columns, too. All done in a vac bag.
When using the flattening solution, do not stack the veneer leaves, single layer only. I keep the flattened leaves in the press until I need to use them. Once all is taped, spritz the solution on both sides and return to the press. You should have, even at 60 F, reliably flat sheet ready for bonding in about an hour.
I also press with the veneer face down on my bottom caul, it is the only reliably flat surface in the bag. And glue squeeze out doesn’t run down the sides of the sub. Top cauls can be distorted by the bag.
I think the veneer trade is getting to be more “tricky” than necessary and small problems are carried though without notice, because one is expecting the “cold press” adhesive to do it all. Veneering is not tricky and it does not take new chemicals to achieve perfect results.
Look at my “fountain table” posting. 4’ wide 14’ long. Two taped up sheets of veneer, one for each half of the table, on an mdf torsion box sub, Titebond I, in my bag.

1/17/14       #20: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
Bruce H

I'd consider covering the materials the night before with a tarp and leaving a small heater under and then covering again with the heater while curing. In that way you wouldn't have to heat your whole shop as warm. We use a large canvas painters tarp with the glue up on saw horses and the heater. Works quite well.

1/17/14       #21: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
Dave

It sounds like a bonding issue. Typical causes are low/uneven pressure on the veneer, not enough glue, or the glue not having enough time or temperature to set properly. Veneer doesn't need to be real flat and the size of the panel shouldn't matter. What else is different between the sample and full size panels?

I use flip-top vacuum presses. I press with the veneer face up using a 1/4" MDF cover sheet. I figure this is the only way to insure even pressure on the whole veneer face (especially when veneering torsion boxes). No substrate is perfectly flat (run a flat file over a sheet of MDF) and ~10 psi isn't enough to perfectly mate a 3/4" substrate to the table or another piece of 3/4" (veneer between). It sounds like it works, but I'd think the glue line would have to be relatively thick (I've never had squeeze-out run down the sides). I use Titebond and would rather minimize the the moisture, glue line, bleed through and set time. Pretty much all the purported PVA negatives only apply to excessively thick glue lines. The all direction porosity of the MDF cover sheet also provides more efficient edge to center evacuation of higher pressure (lower HG) air.

1/17/14       #22: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
David R Sochar Member

The OP says he is also at 9,000 ft altitude. That means the atmospheric pressure is about 2/3 of what I have at 900 ft altitude.

10 psi vs 14 psi - more than I would have guessed. I think he would need about 28-29hg or more to get up to 14 psi.

1/17/14       #23: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
John Costin Member

Good point, David, but he can't ever get more than atmospheric pressure using a vacuum system -- that's the nature of the beast. So if one atmosphere at 9K feet exerts 10 psi, 10 psi is the maximum pressure he can get. This also assumes a perfect vacuum, which none of us can really get. In other words, down here at sea level I don't actually get 14.7 psi -- though I believe it's close.

Re: the other Dave's comment that "veneer doesn't need to be real flat" I guess I would respectfully differ after 25 years and a few square miles of the stuff. Especially crotch veneer, which I have seen make grown men cry!

1/17/14       #24: mahogany veneer not bonding to subs ...
Dave

IIRC 21HG/~10psi is recommended. The OP is a little low at 19-20HG... I couldn't find the exact number, but HG x .491 is pretty close to PSI.

Titebond has a claimed strength of > 1,500psi at 150 degrees. If the veneer is well and properly bonded, the MDF (< 900psi sheer strength) should fail before the glue line. I could have disasters waiting to happen, but I cannot imagine that pressing wavy/bumpy veneer will be the root cause any failed bonds.

I only have a handful of years veneering and one immediate failure (a quick and dirty sample w/ too little glue or press time). I've never veneered crotch and I'm curious, are we talking immediate glue line failures, time based failures, or what?

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)