Veneer

You are not logged in. [ Login ] Why log in
(NOTE: Login is not required to post)

I've Had It With Uni-Bond!

2/4/14       
David R Sochar Member

I just looked at another veneer glue failure on another table top today, and this project was the last time we used Uni-Bond 800.

Since then we have been using Pro-Bond Urea plastic resin glue, but having a real hard time telling how much coverage to lay on. We are using a small diameter paint roller - 1-1/4" or so - and laying on pretty thick (to decrease paranoia). Put it in the vacuum bag and there is glue coming out everywhere.

Now I'm reading more and more about PVA with veneer(?!?). This is raw veneer we use, and often 1/16" or so in thickness. No paperbacks. Sometimes we cross band, sometimes not.

So the basics:

What glue should we be using?

How do we know we have the the proper amount? Do those dispensers work well? Or is it still just guesswork/experience?

2/5/14       #2: I've Had It With Uni-Bond! ...
Ed

You may want to consider a glue spreader with a smooth roller. Not only are they faster, however, they lay down a nice even layer of glue. Much more consistant than a paint roller. You can see some at http://www.qualityvak.com/access.html.

View larger image

Glue spreaders

2/6/14       #3: I've Had It With Uni-Bond! ...
Max Neu

David,
Have you tried or looked into any of the single component glues made just for cold pressing?I think titebond makes one,and another one called Better Bond.I know they have a shorter working time,but if you can deal with that,they might be worth trying.

2/6/14       #4: I've Had It With Uni-Bond! ...
Charles Member

David,

Do you mean "Pro-Glue" instead of "Pro-Bond"? I can't seem to find any urea glue call "Pro-Bond" while searching.

I did find Elmer's Pro-Bond, but I don't think it is a veneer glue. The description did not mention Urea Plastic Resin Glue.

Signed,
Confused

2/7/14       #5: I've Had It With Uni-Bond! ...
Ed

If you are looking for a urea glue, go to http://www.qualityvak.com/glue.html. It's a powder urea with a 1 year shelf life.

QualityVak

2/7/14       #6: I've Had It With Uni-Bond! ...
John Van Brussel

Hello David,

Unibond 800 or PPR (powdered plastic resin) are the best for veneering in my opinion. These glues are urea formaldehyde based, chemical reaction bonds with high water resistance and thermosetting. You will not have any springback or creep with these glues. As long as you mix properly, apply the correct amount and are above 70F in your shop during curing.

Powdered Resin

2/7/14       #7: I've Had It With Uni-Bond! ...
David R Sochar Member

Yes, I meant "Pro-Glue", but we are now using CP's cp-0503 pre-catalyzed powdered urea resin.

We quit the Uni-bond when the formulation changed to less formaldehyde. Not that I'm a fan of the stuff, but the glue starting giving us problems then - with adhesion.

My chief frustration comes from not knowing how to get the proper coverage. We use foam rollers - small o.d. type, but we are having to mix and roll out almost 3 times as much glue as they suggest.

Granted we are working with some really coarse 1/16" White Oak and cross bands, but we used almost a gallon of glue to do 4 door stiles - 90 s/f.

I am reluctant to use a PVA since it clashes with my old school "gluing must be hard" mindset. And the water base - even though the PPR we use mixes with water. Maybe I am just irrational about the whole subject.

John - We have the mixing down - lots of work and time to get rid of all those little lumps, and we have the temp easily at 70 or over (sweatbands in place), so it is coverage that I feel lost with.

Will those nifty looking rollers put out the correct amount of glue spread, or are they just like my paint roller but with a reservoir?

2/9/14       #8: I've Had It With Uni-Bond! ...
Bob

I stopped using Unibond years ago after one too many acid burn throughs ruined finished pieces (mostly occurred in light veneers). Not thorough enough mixing of the powder apparently. The info I got from them was to mix with a power mixer let it sit for 5-10 min. and then mix again with a power mixer. If any little clumps remained they needed to be broken up and mixed in again. Seemed like a lot of work to use a product when others like Pro-Glue don't require such hassles and work just as well with lower formaldehyde levels.

Also has a longer shelf life. Our last couple gallons of Unibond only lasts about 4 months in a cool shop.
Bob

2/10/14       #9: I've Had It With Uni-Bond! ...
John Van Brussel

Hello David, The glue spreaders we sell are designed to put down the correct amount of glue. For the Urea Glue you need to use the grey rubber roller. My concern with using a foam roller would be absorption of the glue. We have been selling PPR (powdered plastic resin) glue for 20+ years and sell 1 gal., 5 gal, 100lb and 300lb drums.

Powdered plastic resin

2/10/14       #10: I've Had It With Uni-Bond! ...
Dave

What about using a wet film gage? IIRC 5-7 mils is recommended.

I use notched spreaders because it gives me a nice consistent spread. Even so, thickness can vary depending angle and pressure.

I test with samples I put in the press for a couple of minutes. Peeling off the veneer shows how well it gets covered.

View higher quality, full size image (1280 X 960)

2/11/14       #11: I've Had It With Uni-Bond! ...
David R Sochar Member

It looks as if there are two solutions ready to use: The spreaders as suggested by John V B and the notched spreaders for smaller jobs. I'd like to have both at hand.

Any suggestions on where to find the notched spreaders and what are the dimensions of the spreaders?

2/11/14       #12: I've Had It With Uni-Bond! ...
Charles Member

Notched spreaders can be found at most hardware stores in the flooring department. They are used for spreading thinset for tile, adhesive for vinyl flooring, etc. There are many different sizes and shapes (V-notch, square-notch). I need someone else to suggest a size.

2/11/14       #13: I've Had It With Uni-Bond! ...
Dave

I haven't seen any notched spreaders small enough and haven't tried filling/machining down the smallest ones.

I make machined stainless steel ones ($20). The V notches are approximately 1mm (1+ edge, 1- legs) on 3mm centers. If the numbers I'm getting are right, and my scale is accurate (grams per square meter), the spread is only a hair over 4 mils. Whatever it is, they have worked well for me (even w/ unfilled PVA and porous quarter grain veneer).

2/11/14       #14: I've Had It With Uni-Bond! ...
Chris

1/16" notched trowel. I use a cheap plastic one from Local hardware store. Why all the hoopla about the rigid glues? If its a flat surface, in my experience, Tight bond 2 is just fine.

2/12/14       #15: I've Had It With Uni-Bond! ...
Dave

If I did the math right, the wet film thickness of a 1/16" V notch spreader is over 30 mils. My first spreader had 1/16" V notches almost 1/4" on center and that was too much for veneering w/ PVA. While, theoretically, it provided an almost acceptable 7.5 mill film, actual film thickness is usually (unless you really slant the spreader) higher than the square root of the calculated notch area.

2/15/14       #16: I've Had It With Uni-Bond! ...
David

I use a metal spreader from Ace hardware that has a 1/16" x 1/16" square notch pattern. I then file it down to a height of 1/32". I end up with a notch 1/16 wide and 1/32 tall. This puts on the perfect amount glue.

2/17/14       #17: I've Had It With Uni-Bond! ...
Dave

Correction to my earlier post: actual film thickness is less than calculations based on spreader notch area.
With my 1mm V notch on 3mm center spreader the calculated film thickness is 6.6 mils (.0394 x .0394 = .001552, / 4 = .000388, square root = .0197, / 3 = .0066). I did two tests to calculate film thickness using grams of glue used per square meter. Considering I used a 55 lb scale and relatively small test pieces (~.3 sq meters), the 4 and 5.6 mil results are surprisingly close. At least with unfilled PVA's, there is a fine line between 100% veneer coverage and porous quarter grain bleed through. Even with my relatively low notch area, I can get unacceptable bleed through if I'm not careful about cleaning up/removing excess glue - pressure and angle can make a big difference. While numbers are interesting, doing test samples is the only way to get a minimal glue line with 100% veneer coverage and no/minimal bleed.

View higher quality, full size image (1600 X 1200)

Post a Response
  • Notify me of responses to this thread
  • Subscribe to email updates on this Forum
  • To receive email notification of additions to this forum thread,
    enter your name and email address, and then click the
    "Keep Me Posted" button below.

Please Note: If you have posted a message or response,
    do not submit this request ... you are already signed up
    to receive notification!

Your Name:
    E-Mail Address:
    Enter the correct numbers into the field below:

Date of your Birth:

Return to top of page

Buy & Sell Exchanges | Forums | Galleries | Site Map

FORUM GUIDELINES: Please review the guidelines below before posting at WOODWEB's Interactive Message Boards (return to top)

• WOODWEB is a professional industrial woodworking site. Hobbyist and homeowner woodworking questions are inappropriate.
  • Messages should be kept reasonably short and on topic, relating to the focus of the forum. Responses should relate to the original question.
  • A valid email return address must be included with each message.
  • Advertising is inappropriate. The only exceptions are the Classified Ads Exchange, Machinery Exchange, Lumber Exchange, and Job Opportunities and Services Exchange. When posting listings in these areas, review the posting instructions carefully.
  • Subject lines may be edited for length and clarity.
  • "Cross posting" is not permitted. Choose the best forum for your question, and post your question at one forum only.
  • Messages requesting private responses will be removed - Forums are designed to provide information and assistance for all of our visitors. Private response requests are appropriate at WOODWEB's Exchanges and Job Opportunities and Services.
  • Messages that accuse businesses or individuals of alleged negative actions or behavior are inappropriate since WOODWEB is unable to verify or substantiate the claims.
  • Posts with the intent of soliciting answers to surveys are not appropriate. Contact WOODWEB for more information on initiating a survey.
  • Excessive forum participation by an individual upsets the balance of a healthy forum atmosphere. Individuals who excessively post responses containing marginal content will be considered repeat forum abusers.
  • Responses that initiate or support inappropriate and off-topic discussion of general politics detract from the professional woodworking focus of WOODWEB, and will be removed.
  • Participants are encouraged to use their real name when posting. Intentionally using another persons name is prohibited, and posts of this nature will be removed at WOODWEB's discretion.
  • Comments, questions, or criticisms regarding Forum policies should be directed to WOODWEB's Systems Administrator
    (return to top).

Carefully review your message before clicking on the "Send Message" button - you will not be able to revise the message once it has been sent.

You will be notified of responses to the message(s) you posted via email. Be sure to enter your email address correctly.

WOODWEB's forums are a highly regarded resource for professional woodworkers. Messages and responses that are crafted in a professional and civil manner strengthen this resource. Messages that do not reflect a professional tone reduce the value of our forums.

Messages are inappropriate when their content: is deemed libelous in nature or is based on rumor, fails to meet basic standards of decorum, contains blatant advertising or inappropriate emphasis on self promotion (return to top).

Libel:   Posts which defame an individual or organization, or employ a tone which can be viewed as malicious in nature. Words, pictures, or cartoons which expose a person or organization to public hatred, shame, disgrace, or ridicule, or induce an ill opinion of a person or organization, are libelous.

Improper Decorum:   Posts which are profane, inciting, disrespectful or uncivil in tone, or maliciously worded. This also includes the venting of unsubstantiated opinions. Such messages do little to illuminate a given topic, and often have the opposite effect. Constructive criticism is acceptable (return to top).

Advertising:   The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not an advertising venue. Companies participating in a Forum discussion should provide specific answers to posted questions. WOODWEB suggests that businesses include an appropriately crafted signature in order to identify their company. A well meaning post that seems to be on-topic but contains a product reference may do your business more harm than good in the Forum environment. Forum users may perceive your references to specific products as unsolicited advertising (spam) and consciously avoid your web site or services. A well-crafted signature is an appropriate way to advertise your services that will not offend potential customers. Signatures should be limited to 4-6 lines, and may contain information that identifies the type of business you're in, your URL and email address (return to top).

Repeated Forum Abuse: Forum participants who repeatedly fail to follow WOODWEB's Forum Guidelines may encounter difficulty when attempting to post messages.

There are often situations when the original message asks for opinions: "What is the best widget for my type of shop?". To a certain extent, the person posting the message is responsible for including specific questions within the message. An open ended question (like the one above) invites responses that may read as sales pitches. WOODWEB suggests that companies responding to such a question provide detailed and substantive replies rather than responses that read as a one-sided product promotion. It has been WOODWEB's experience that substantive responses are held in higher regard by our readers (return to top).

The staff of WOODWEB assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, or outcome of any posting transmitted at WOODWEB's Message Boards. Participants should undertake the use of machinery, materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB's Message Boards after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages it deems inappropriate. (return to top)

• Forum Posting Help
    Your Name The name you enter in this field will be the name that appears with your post or response (return to form).
    Your Website Personal or business website links must point to the author's website. Inappropriate links will be removed without notice, and at WOODWEB's sole discretion. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    E-Mail Address Your e-mail address will not be publicly viewable. Forum participants will be able to contact you using a contact link (included with your post) that is substituted for your actual address. You must include a valid email address in this field. (return to form)
    Subject Subject may be edited for length and clarity. Subject lines should provide an indication of the content of your post. (return to form)
    Thread Related Link and Image Guidelines Thread Related Links posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should point to locations that provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related Link that directs visitors to an area with inappropriate content will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)
    Thread Related File Uploads Thread Related Files posted at WOODWEB's Forums and Exchanges should provide supporting information for the topic being discussed in the current message thread. Video Files: acceptable video formats are: .MOV .AVI .WMV .MPEG .MPG .MP4 (Image Upload Tips)   If you encounter any difficulty when uploading video files, E-mail WOODWEB for assistance. The purpose of WOODWEB Forums is to provide answers, not to serve as an advertising venue. A Thread Related File that contains inappropriate content will be removed, and uploaded files that are not directly related to the message thread will be removed. WOODWEB reserves the right to delete any messages with links, files, or images it deems inappropriate. (return to form)